The funniest part about all of this... | Syracusefan.com

The funniest part about all of this...

jdubs30

Living Legend
We're getting bashed by EVERYONE; Duke, Arizona, NC State, Pittsburgh, UConn, etc.

When was the last time ANY of these teams were 25-0? We're in uncharted territory; something that none of us have seen in our lifetime watching Syracuse and very few programs in college basketball history have experienced. Pitt fans are complaining about Wednesday; NC State fans are complaining about tonight; Duke is still crying about 2 weeks ago; everyone is calling is overrated.

Guess what? 25-0. In the ACC. It hasn't been done in 40 years. Maui Champs. Dismantled Nova. How many top 10 teams in the past decade have lost at least one flukey game by February? A lot.

This team is special. Have we been lucky? Sure, maybe a few times; but it's college basketball, no one is 25-0 by blowing out 25 teams. You have to have that extra gear, the characteristic that separates you from everyone else. You have to have that magic at the end of the game sometimes, a few wins that make people say "how did they do that?"; you want people to say "how are they winning these games?". That means you're doing something right.

Will we cut the nets down in April? Who knows. But this team is doing something that no ACC team has done in over 40 years, and pretty much no major conference team has done in over 20 years. Take a step back and realize what we are witnessing here. Not every game will be perfect, but 25-0 is perfect. This team doesn't have 8 NBA players; this team doesn't have 8 All-Americans; but this team refuses to lose and has won in almost every way imaginable.

It's February 16, we have a month and a half left of this ride; sit back and enjoy it, we could be witnessing history.

Last edited:
We're getting bashed by EVERYONE; Duke, Arizona, NC State, Pittsburgh, UConn, etc.

When was the last time ANY of these teams were 25-0? We're in uncharted territory; something that none of us have seen in our lifetime watching Syracuse and very few programs in college basketball history have experienced. Pitt fans are complaining about Wednesday; NC State fans are complaining about tonight; Duke is still crying about 2 weeks ago; everyone is calling is overrated.

Guess what? 25-0. In the ACC. It hasn't been done in 30 years. Maui Champs. Dismantled Nova. How many top 10 teams in the past decade have lost at least one flukey game by February? A lot.

This team is special. Have we been lucky? Sure, maybe a few times; but it's college basketball, no one is 25-0 by blowing out 25 teams. You have to have that extra gear, the characteristic that separates you from everyone else. You have to have that magic at the end of the game sometimes, a few wins that make people say "how did they do that?"; you want people to say "how are they winning these games?". That means you're doing something right.

Will we cut the nets down in April? Who knows. But this team is doing something that no ACC team has done in over 30 years, and pretty much no major conference team has done in over 20 years. Take a step back and realize what we are witnessing here. Not every game will be perfect, but 25-0 is perfect. This team doesn't have 8 NBA players; this team doesn't have 8 All-Americans; but this team refuses to lose and has won in almost every way imaginable.

It's February 16, we have a month and a half left of this ride; sit back and enjoy it, we could be witnessing history.

Amen

Who knows. But this team is doing something that no ACC team has done in over 30 years, and pretty much no major conference team has done in over 20 years..

There have been a few... but very few, so it does not diminish from our accomplishments at all or your post. But I did want to correct the fact that it has not happened in a major conference in 20 years.

Last night I went back to 1991, and noted the following teams lasted longer.

Major Conference
2005 - Illinois (last game of regular season)
2004 - Stanford (last game of regular season)

Mid-Major
1991 - UNLV (Final Game)
2004 - St. Joes (Conference Tourney)
1996 - UMass (Feb 24)
2008 -Memphis (Feb 23)

Well put. The whining from other teams is absurd.

On the other hand, JB has said on multiple occasions that we should have at least 5 or 6 losses. In tonight's presser he said, "We're really a 20-5 team." The great thing about this team, is I think they believe the same thing and are just attacking every challenge as it comes and trying to improve. What's not to like about that??

On the other hand, JB has said on multiple occasions that we should have at least 5 or 6 losses. In tonight's presser he said, "We're really a 20-5 team." The great thing about this team, is I think they believe the same thing and are just attacking every challenge as it comes and trying to improve. What's not to like about that??

That's how you get the remarkable consistency we have experienced over the years. You keep it real. You don't get too caught up in any single win, or any single loss.

There have been a few... but very few, so it does not diminish from our accomplishments at all or your post. But I did want to correct the fact that it has not happened in a major conference in 20 years.

Major Conference

Mid-Major
1991 - UNLV (Final Game)
1996 - UMass (Feb 24)
2008 -Memphis (Feb 23)

Even Rutgers once upon a time went into the FF Unbeaten.
That's all well and good but there is only one I want:

1976- Indiana (Won Title)

Guess what? 25-0. In the ACC. It hasn't been done in 40 years. Maui Champs. Dismantled Nova. How many top 10 teams in the past decade have lost at least one flukey game by February? A lot.

Will we cut the nets down in April? Who knows. But this team is doing something that no ACC team has done in over 40 years, and pretty much no major conference team has done in over 20 years. Take a step back and realize what we are witnessing here. Not every game will be perfect, but 25-0 is perfect. This team doesn't have 8 NBA players; this team doesn't have 8 All-Americans; but this team refuses to lose and has won in almost every way imaginable.

Absolutely GREAT post!

jealous.jpg

We likely are a 20-5 team but the rest of the country Is no better than a 19-6 team. We are the best of an imperfect field of candidates that hasnt been able to beat us.

Major Conference

Mid-Major
1991 - UNLV (Final Game)
1996 - UMass (Feb 24)
2008 -Memphis (Feb 23)

Wichita State quietly raises its hand at 26-0

When you are number 1 you usually get the band wagon fans or they go the other way and hate your undefeated guts with a passion, especially if they have a stake in the game like a rival or formal rival UConn/GT... Florida/WSU which want the #1 overall seed...conference honks or certain schools that tried to buy their way in and had 40-0 shirts printed before the season.

JB's statement about us really being 20-5 is silly. Can you imagine what we would all say if some 20-5 coach said, you know, we lost 5 close games. We are really 25-0? You are what your record says you are. We didn't cheat. We won. 25-0

JB's statement about us really being 20-5 is silly. Can you imagine what we would all say if some 20-5 coach said, you know, we lost 5 close games. We are really 25-0? You are what your record says you are. We didn't cheat. We won. 25-0
JB just tries to kill the hype and not let it get into our heads, understandable; but these guys know and it's important to them, CJ was pumped after that last missed shot by NC State last night, I don't think he acts that way if we're 19-6 and won.

JB just tries to kill the hype and not let it get into our heads, understandable; but these guys know and it's important to them, CJ was pumped after that last missed shot by NC State last night, I don't think he acts that way if we're 19-6 and won.

Yep...he's just working the players the way he thinks will keep them motivated and trying to calm the press expectations down as much as possible.

Reactions: cto

And I am sure JB putting that out there is also in part a message to his team as well. No coach is going to tell his team, directly or indirectly, that they have reached the pinnacle of performance.

He will continue to challenge his team and let them know they have flaws and need to continue to get better. He may also understand that they will in fact lose a game this year and is looking to set the table for that post game conversation to both his team and the media.

Cannot afford to have a first loss hangover that results in losing 3 of 5 or 4 of 7, not at this late date. At 25-0 I am sure keeping everyone on an even keel is not easy, cannot let the highs get to high or a potential low get to low.

I wish JB would stop saying we should have 5-6 loses. So we won close. Can you imagine Jim Calhoun or Pitino or Crean or just about any other coach poo-pooing his own team's wins? No way. They'd be "implying" their team was the greatest. Remember 2011 when UConn won about 10 games on last second Kemba shots and Calhoun spouting in interviews about how great his team was.

Jamie Dixon?

I wish JB would stop saying we should have 5-6 loses. So we won close. Can you imagine Jim Calhoun or Pitino or Crean or just about any other coach poo-pooing his own team's wins? No way. They'd be "implying" their team was the greatest. Remember 2011 when UConn won about 10 games on last second Kemba shots and Calhoun spouting in interviews about how great his team was.
I don't think he is actually saying that we SHOULD have 5-6 losses, he is saying we COULD have 5-6 losses, and that we need to improve our offense. I don't think the comments denigrate the team. His sentiments are objectively difficult to disagree with.

When was the last time there were 2 undefeated teams so late in the season? Is this also unusual? Although I find it hard to include Wichita State in the same breath as other teams. Yes, they are good, but in any credible league would not be undefeated.

When was the last time ANY of these teams were 25-0?

Let 'em complain. That means we must be doing something right...and I think it's WINNING.

Hey ACC: YOU invited US!

Personally, I'd be even happier in the old BE getting these wins at the expense of G-town and UConn.

I guess it's just a product of the oversaturation these days with social media.
I don't really have a problem with anyone saying we've been a little lucky or aren't heads & shoulders above everyone else.
But I've yet to hear a single analyst say that the #1 undefeated team is their favorite to win it all. So if there's one thing we're not, it's overrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom