The future of the Dome... | Syracusefan.com

The future of the Dome...

Jake

Mod
Will likely be part of a Capitol projects master plan the school will unveil in May. It'll outline what projects the school will undertake over the next 10-15 years.

I would expect two specific outcomes. No new stadium, but plans for the most significant renovation of the dome ever. I think the new hard top and expansion of a wall to accommodate a media center and concessions is the likely they play here.

I also expect a retrenchment of the university - a direct about face from Cantor's expansionist viewpoint.

I saw Syverud speak recently - he used words like "excellence" and "quality". He did not use the words like "opportunity" and "inclusion". And said his #1 priority was to build the research programs.

In other words, you better up your SAT scores if you want in.

Will likely be part of a Capitol projects master plan the school will unveil in May.

It'll outline what projects the school will undertake over the next 10-15 years.

I would expect two specific outcomes. No new stadium, but plans for the most significant renovation of the dome ever. I think the new hard top and expansion of a wall to accommodate a media center and concessions is the likely play her.

I also expect a retrenchment of the university - a direct about face from Cantor's expansionist viewpoint.

I saw Syverud speak recently - he used words like "excellence" and "quality". He did not use the words like "opportunity" and "inclusion". And said his #1 priority was to build the research programs.

In other words, you better up your SAT scores
Makes sense, Did Nancy Cantor do anything good for the University? Honest question.

Jake said:
Will likely be part of a Capitol projects master plan the school will unveil in May. It'll outline what projects the school will undertake over the next 10-15 years. I would expect two specific outcomes. No new stadium, but plans for the most significant renovation of the dome ever. I think the new hard top and expansion of a wall to accommodate a media center and concessions is the likely play her. I also expect a retrenchment of the university - a direct about face from Cantor's expansionist viewpoint. I saw Syverud speak recently - he used words like "excellence" and "quality". He did not use the words like "opportunity" and "inclusion". And said his #1 priority was to build the research programs. In other words, you better up your SAT scores
Cantor was worse than Gerg

The plans for the expansion on the west side have been drawn up. What it includes has been discussed in previous threads. Personally, I prefer a new stadium with a better parking situation and better access to the stadium itself.

The plans for the expansion on the west side have been drawn up. What it includes has been discussed in previous threads. Personally, I prefer a new stadium with a better parking situation and better access to the stadium itself.
I would too, maybe The mayor should put it in her plan for the billion dollars contest from the state

Can a hardtop be done in 4 months, or will we be "road warriors" for an entire football season?

Will we lose any basketball games?

Will there be escalators?

Will likely be part of a Capitol projects master plan the school will unveil in May. It'll outline what projects the school will undertake over the next 10-15 years.

I would expect two specific outcomes. No new stadium, but plans for the most significant renovation of the dome ever. I think the new hard top and expansion of a wall to accommodate a media center and concessions is the likely they play here.

How close is this to what was Buzz's vision?

Amen. We have one of the worst, if not THE worst, tailgating situations among the P5's.

I thought the shell of the stadium can't support a hard top?

Rocco said:
Amen. We have one of the worst, if not THE worst, tailgating situations among the P5's.

I really believe that's more because of our fans than the parking.

When we were good in the 90s, and I was a season ticket holder, my crew used to get to the lot on the corner of Waverly and South Crouse (now Newhouse III) 3-4 hours beforekickoff. Most weeks there were still spots there an hour before kick. The lot cost $10 back then, if I'm not mistaken. People just weren't into tailgating, apparently, because you couldn't ask for a better spot.

It'd be nice to have huge open lots surrounding a stadium, but I don't know that the mere existence of that would generate better tailgating.

I really believe that's more because of our fans than the parking.

When we were good in the 90s, and I was a season ticket holder, my crew used to get to the lot on the corner of Waverly and South Crouse (now Newhouse III) 3-4 hours beforekickoff. Most weeks there were still spots there an hour before kick. The lot cost $10 back then, if I'm not mistaken. People just weren't into tailgating, apparently, because you couldn't ask for a better spot.

It'd be nice to have huge open lots surrounding a stadium, but I don't know that the mere existence of that would generate better tailgating.

I hear you...and I remember it was like that around there...I also remember Stadium West had a pretty good tailgating scene back then. I also think tailgating is becoming more popular in Syracuse...it will never be like Penn St or the South but allowing the quad to open back up to tailgating would help. Set it up with rental canopies and allow folks to drive up and drop off stuff if you have to. Stadium West Lots need to be upgraded too. Turn a few lots into tailgate centers with extra tailgate amenities would help. Finally find a way to get the train working again.

"Research" is graduate programs. I hope he plans to improve undergraduate quality, also.

Seems to me we might be going back into "bunker" mode. ;)

As for research, Cantor tried that when she first started and it got her nowhere - and she actually had a background in that area. She quickly learned that the only areas of research that matter today focus around medical, science, and engineering where we are extremely weak. It will be interesting to see how they plan to improve our research profile.

Cheers,
Neil

omniorange said:
Seems to me we might be going back into "bunker" mode. ;) As for research, Cantor tried that when she first started and it got her nowhere - and she actually had a background in that area. She quickly learned that the only areas of research that matter today focus around medical, science, and engineering where we are extremely weak. It will be interesting to see how they plan to improve our research profile. Cheers, Neil

I don't know what "research" means. But SU has a handful of schools and programs that are among the very best in the nation. Would make sense to emphasize them, and maybe try to up the standards of other schools.

I don't know what "research" means. But SU has a handful of schools and programs that are among the very best in the nation. Would make sense to emphasize them, and maybe try to up the standards of other schools.

Yes, we do have some excellent programs in Newhouse, Maxwell, School of Architecture, Whitman, and the School of Information Studies are probably are most highly regarded. But whenever an academic person puts an emphasis on "research", they are invariably referring to the types of research that get federal funding $$$ - precisely the lack of which got us subtly nudged out of the AAU.

And unless we plan on taking back both SUNY Upstate Medical and ESF, I don't see how we are likely to significantly increase federal funding $$$.

The quickest way to improve the overall college academics perception is not through "research" but to turn the College of Law into a Top 50 school in that area. Which is, again, the main reason why I believe the new Chancellor was hired.

Cheers,
Neil

Man I hope you are right particularly about the academic side... I also hope he has the vision and creativity to get it done. There is a lot of good raw material with which to work at SU, some very strong programs and an alumni base who love their school.

well, at least this might appease the people bitching about the rankings of their degree.

OrangeXtreme said:
Can a hardtop be done in 4 months, or will we be "road warriors" for an entire football season? Will we lose any basketball games? Will there be escalators?

Good question. I don't know how feasible a hard top is or if it can be done in 4 months. The plan for the addition could be because it would be done as a seperate building and over a longer period of time. There would likely be an entrance from the Dome through an entry way which would be done last and in the 4 months. The new building would have offices, a media room, restaurants and I believe become home of Falks sports management program with classrooms etc. Maybe Falk would be one of the bigger donors for the project. I also think an even bigger program involving sports management and Newhouse is in the works. Maybe that would be placed there.,

I thought the shell of the stadium can't support a hard top?
I believe that is correct, a hard top would require exterior support structures to be built for the hard top roof. Not impossible just more costly.
I would imagine a cost analysis would be done before this would happen. Might be better to keep the inflatable even with its high winter energy costs, and replacement every twenty years or so. The hard top also creates the possibility of structural failure with our areas high snow loads, most of these hard tops are in much more favorable climes than Syracuse, NY. I hope they look at this long and hard before going the hard route.

Last edited:
What I heard from folks in the know...there is no consensus of how to proceed. I doubt we hear anything soon...this might be a couple years off.