The future of the Dome... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The future of the Dome...

Im not a structural engineer but i work with a lot, the most likely scenario is an external structure built "around" the dome. Would require probably 8+ piles drilled and placed as a foundation while still maintaining existing dome access. Would be relatively simple specific to roof upgrade.
Not sure what the interior reno entails.

Im not a structural engineer but i work with a lot, the most likely scenario is an external structure built "around" the dome. Would require probably 8+ piles drilled and placed as a foundation while still maintaining existing dome access. Would be relatively simple specific to roof upgrade.
Not sure what the interior reno entails.
Thankyou Stephanie Minor. Oh Lord

OburgOrange said:
Thankyou Stephanie Minor. Oh Lord
She needs money for neglected sewer. She wasn't ever going to get both

Build a new outdoor stadium at skytop , a smaller version of the Seahawks home . Cut the Dome in half , with the west end being a 30k arena and the east , quad facing , end becoming academic space. The roof over the arena side could still be inflatable to keep the tradition of the dome and the east end would Have interior buildings and a solid or solar roof. No loss of Home games or revenue , 2 new sports facilities and a Huge amount of square feet for academic expansion.

Everything I have read about other stadiums indicates a cost in the hundreds of millions to convert the roof to a fixed one by adding the necessary supporting structure.

I also think an even bigger program involving sports management and Newhouse is in the works. Maybe that would be placed there.,

Falk School is moving into the Law Building next to Dome.

Chancellor seems hyper focused on academics and I sense enrollment will go down (birth rates will contribute as well). That said, goals for Sport Management program call for aggressive growth.

Man I hope you are right particularly about the academic side... I also hope he has the vision and creativity to get it done. There is a lot of good raw material with which to work at SU, some very strong programs and an alumni base who love their school.

I wonder where the revenue stream will come from to drive the academic side...

Chancellor seems hyper focused on academics and I sense enrollment will go down (birth rates will contribute as well). That said, goals for Sport Management program call for aggressive growth.

And that's another reason why the stadium isn't moving.

I would be happy to join a "tailgating" panel. Then we could tailgate before tailgating panel meetings. ;)
Only you or Mark could think of that one.

Hmmm... excellence and quality. That would work for the football program.

MadNY3 said:
Falk School is moving into the Law Building next to Dome. Chancellor seems hyper focused on academics and I sense enrollment will go down (birth rates will contribute as well). That said, goals for Sport Management program call for aggressive growth.

Yep, that was announced when the new law building got built.,

Sports management just seems like one of those majors that is way too specific and way too appealing to your average sports crazy knucklehead kid. Instead of taking more general courses that would still allow you to work in that field if you're lucky and in some other field if you're not lucky, these kids will be putting all their eggs in one tiny little basket with poor employment prospects

this is the type of stuff i want SU to get away from.

this is the best news since we got into the ACC. The Dome needs to remain on campus. Period. That is a selling point for the university and makes the school unique among it's peer group. I decided to go to Syracuse for two reasons: excellence in communications and the unique sports environment that the Dome provided. The experience of going to a game will not get better if they move the stadium elsewhere. I just got back from Boston College and their tailgating is as challenged as Syracuse. It's totally fine and unique for a school with a stadium right on campus with no massive parking.

School needs to become selective again. When schools like Northeastern are lapping you in the minds of academia/rankings something is very wrong.

Amen. We have one of the worst, if not THE worst, tailgating situations among the P5's.

Rocco, next season try tailgating in the lot across from the HSBC on E. Adams in-between Crouse and University. It's a fun, lively atmosphere, and is convenient from 81. My friends have tailgated there for years, and have always loved it. It may change your impression of things.

this is the best news since we got into the ACC. The Dome needs to remain on campus. Period. That is a selling point for the university and makes the school unique among it's peer group. I decided to go to Syracuse for two reasons: excellence in communications and the unique sports environment that the Dome provided. The experience of going to a game will not get better if they move the stadium elsewhere. I just got back from Boston College and their tailgating is as challenged as Syracuse. It's totally fine and unique for a school with a stadium right on campus with no massive parking.

School needs to become selective again. When schools like Northeastern are lapping you in the minds of academia/rankings something is very wrong.

Northeastern is the right example. I know they have their great internship program, but academically that place was nowhere near Syracuse in the 90's. I've interviewed kids from there and they tend to be earnest, hard working, but not as intellectually capable as typical SU grad.

Rocco said:
Amen. We have one of the worst, if not THE worst, tailgating situations among the P5's.

Guess you've never been to BC.

And you'd be surprised how many P5 schools have tailgating situations similar to SU.

Guess you've never been to BC.

And you'd be surprised how many P5 schools have tailgating situations similar to SU.
Syracuse fans like NFL + SU. they want tailgating like NFL teams have and they ignore that 100,000 people in Tennessee tailgate at gas stations and o'charleys.

there's only so much football to watch and attend so most of the games SU fans watch on TV and in person that don't involve SU are pro games

Yes, we do have some excellent programs in Newhouse, Maxwell, School of Architecture, Whitman, and the School of Information Studies are probably are most highly regarded. But whenever an academic person puts an emphasis on "research", they are invariably referring to the types of research that get federal funding $$$ - precisely the lack of which got us subtly nudged out of the AAU.

And unless we plan on taking back both SUNY Upstate Medical and ESF, I don't see how we are likely to significantly increase federal funding $$$.

The quickest way to improve the overall college academics perception is not through "research" but to turn the College of Law into a Top 50 school in that area. Which is, again, the main reason why I believe the new Chancellor was hired.

Cheers,
Neil
I hope the University at least makes an effort to investigate the possibility of integrating Upstate and ESF into SU as Statutory Colleges, much like Alfred and Cornell have. It certainly helps both the perception of the institutions and the bottom lines. An entirely different topic, but SUNY should seriously investigate some consolidation moves, but political pressure will make sure that never happens...

Northeastern "gamed" the system in place at US News and College Report. Good article on how they did it linked below:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2014/08/26/how-northeastern-gamed-the-college-rankings/2/

Mentions how some others tried to "game" the system.

Cheers,
Neil

Syracuse fans like NFL + SU. they want tailgating like NFL teams have and they ignore that 100,000 people in Tennessee tailgate at gas stations and o'charleys.

there's only so much football to watch and attend so most of the games SU fans watch on TV and in person that don't involve SU are pro games

Tennessee was the one I was thinking about. Nothing stops them from tailgating, not even an open flame near a gas pump. Every SU fan that complains about our tailgating situation should take a trip there.

Northeastern "gamed" the system in place at US News and College Report. Good article on how they did it linked below:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2014/08/26/how-northeastern-gamed-the-college-rankings/2/

Mentions how some others tried to "game" the system.

Cheers,
Neil
perception is reality though so good for them. The example should be BC. When I went to SU in the early 90s the schools were very close ranking wise. BC is now in the low/mid 30s and Syracuse is out of the top 50. Not sure BC is gaming it but that's eye opening as well.

Redo the Dome big time and get the Meadowlands to pay SU a boat load of cash to play there for the year.

perception is reality though so good for them. The example should be BC. When I went to SU in the early 90s the schools were very close ranking wise. BC is now in the low/mid 30s and Syracuse is out of the top 50. Not sure BC is gaming it but that's eye opening as well.
Cantor anti gamed it

I don't think anyone really thinks northeastern is actually that good.

students need to start gaming it more. find a smaller school that's good enough where your test scores actually help them and leverage it. get a big scholarship and put it in your pocket to talk to the school you actually want to go to