The Gerry McNamara Balloon (well kinda) | Syracusefan.com

The Gerry McNamara Balloon (well kinda)

DoubleDee

All American
I was looking at stuff in my cave and thought I would share this with you guys. Anyone else there to remember these??? (Copied from my Facebook post)

This balloon has seen better days, and is beyond brittle, but will never get tossed. On March 5, 2006, Gerry McNamara celebrated his senior day. It would be at that time a record crowd, and lines at the gates were long. We went earlier than normal, and as we waited in line, a guy handed out balloons. Anyone who frequents SU basketball games especially in the 80s and 90s knows that balloons would be passed around to toss after the first basket. So this guy makes up special ones for Gmac's big day. Hands out probably hundreds of them, that say "THANK YOU JERRY". The knucklehead spelled his name wrong. I remember saying something out loud about it, and he kind of shrugged it off, but knew they were wrong. Why would you pass them out at that point? I didn't blow it up and hung onto it for the novelty of it all. Probably not too many folks with one of these!

IMG_0286.JPG

I was looking at stuff in my cave and thought I would share this with you guys. Anyone else there to remember these??? (Copied from my Facebook post)

This balloon has seen better days, and is beyond brittle, but will never get tossed. On March 5, 2006, Gerry McNamara celebrated his senior day. It would be at that time a record crowd, and lines at the gates were long. We went earlier than normal, and as we waited in line, a guy handed out balloons. Anyone who frequents SU basketball games especially in the 80s and 90s knows that balloons would be passed around to toss after the first basket. So this guy makes up special ones for Gmac's big day. Hands out probably hundreds of them, that say "THANK YOU JERRY". The knucklehead spelled his name wrong. I remember saying something out loud about it, and he kind of shrugged it off, but knew they were wrong. Why would you pass them out at that point? I didn't blow it up and hung onto it for the novelty of it all. Probably not too many folks with one of these!

View attachment 93168

Jerry McNamara, Roosevelt Bowie. It's a Cuse tradition. I hope when Warrick's jersey gets hung up, that the guy who makes it didn't watch too many Len Elmore broadcasted games, or that one might get botched too.

i used to sell duct tape outside of gate C. one dollar got you a strip of duct tape on both shoulders so you could look just like your favorite players.

I thought this post was going to be about the trial balloon of using Gerry as lead recruiter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom