The good, the bad, and the ugly in loss @ NCSU | Syracusefan.com

The good, the bad, and the ugly in loss @ NCSU

SU94

Starter
This is not going to be a great year, however, it is going to set the stage for good football in 2020 and '21. Bowl game still feasible. We're going to beat Pitt a week from tonight. Likely by a touchdown. Don't let recency bias beat you down too much.

Thursday vs. NCSU (L10-16)

THE GOOD

• Kendall Coleman was literally everywhere. He was the best player on the field last night (both teams).
  • Defense played physical, well, outside of strange difficulty tackling Hockman. Overall, they were damn near terrific.
  • I really like Eric Coley out there.
  • DeVito threw the ball remarkably well. When he threw it. I also thought he was tentative for portions of the game, but I respect his grit to play hurt.
  • Trishton Jackson is a top 5 WR in the ACC.
  • Evan Foster played better, but that dropped INT was unfortunately enormous.
  • Hofrichter had the Pat McAfee erect with just about every punt. Funny stuff.
  • I know he bonked the kick off the upright, but Szmyt looked healthy for the first time all year. I think he's been injured (personal opinion).
  • I thought our RBs picked up blitzes better at NCSU than any other game this season. Not perfect, not great, but solid improvement there.
  • We played poorly on the road against a talented program and yet, had a chance to win in the final minute.
  • Among the freshman class, I like that we are holding on to so many redshirts. This is important for a program of our stature.

THE BAD

• The O-Line's play was sub-standard at best.
  • Running game non-existent until last 10 minutes, when we need to pass almost exclusively. Oy vey.
  • Bad bad timing for Hofrichter to pull that late kickoff out of bounds. That was a big play.
  • The TEs were essentially non-existent in the passing game.
  • DeVito, to me, appears to be suffering from PTSD (too many sacks/hits) and injured ribs. And his some of his throw aways were strange, 2-3 which led to intentional grounding calls.
  • Need to play Tyrell Richards more. He is ridiculously physical, makes plays and it might save 1-2 penalties per game he gets or at least tempts on special teams. He plays with an edge that is going to cost us sooner rather than later. But I think he deserves more run, which would cut back on some of his post-play antics on specials.
  • I'd like for Dino & Lynch to come up with a wrinkle or two. NCSU scored the decisive points via trickeration.
  • I think we win that game with a healthy (non-rib injury) DeVito, as he'd have added a bit more to the run game. But I respect the kid for playing through substantial pain and discomfort. He deserves a lot of credit he is not getting from the vast majority on this board. He's learning how to play hurt. Not a simple exercise, especially with that injury at that position. - As an aside, this is not a criticism of Dino for playing #13 late into the Holy Cross game. Sometimes football happens.

THE UGLY

• As undisciplined a game as I can remember SU playing. Holding on opening kickoff was just the beginning.
  • Need some guys, especially on offense, to play for "we," not "me." Too many kids not reacting properly to adversity (sulking, infighting, finger-pointing, acting out).
  • False starts galore. Tough to play at NCSU, but not as tough as we made it look.
  • Need to re-learn how to win away from the Carrier Dome. Competing for a full 60 minutes is a start. We've yet to do that, but the 4th quarter is something Dino will have to work with.
  • Cordy's days on the field should be over, outside of specials. Not only was that penalty unacceptable, but his play all season has been lacking. I get he's a sympathetic 6th-year player, but gimme Bradshaw, or better yet, Stritzinger over #8. I don’t quite get Dino’s deep loyalty here. We have better talent on the roster that deserves to develop.
  • Team looked ill prepared. Dino and his staff did not have them in the proper mindset to win that game and it took 30-40 minutes for them to even compete in the proper fashion. I LOVE DINO BABERS, but that performance last night was wholly disappointing. I sense he knows it, but hasn’t figured out how to nip it just yet.

Yeah, I expected things to be a bit more crisp coming out of a bye.

All around fair assessment SU94. It occurred to me that Tommy may not have had much run with the first team this past week while nursing the ribs. Not an ideal situation when you are trying to work out the kinks and get the offense on the same page. But kudos to that kid for gutting it out. When the fourth quarter rolled around, he threw caution to the wind and started running more and the offense starting moving the ball. This offense appears to need that threat to slow the pass rush if the OLine can't protect.

They had a few run plays where all the lineman moved diagonally and it worked. more that and less inside zone for no gain

only caught the 1st half but imo penalties have been a recurring issue and need to be addressed. that motion sheet can and should be corrected. secondly devito seems to lie on the ground like a crumpled mess post sack. healthy dude pops up so as not to whet the appetite of the D and crowd. missed the comeback so i won't comment on overall what went wrong but the 1st half put me to sleep.zzzzzzzzzzzz.

only caught the 1st half but imo penalties have been a recurring issue and need to be addressed. that motion sheet can and should be corrected. secondly devito seems to lie on the ground like a crumpled mess post sack. healthy dude pops up so as not to whet the appetite of the D and crowd. missed the comeback so i won't comment on overall what went wrong but the 1st half put me to sleep.zzzzzzzzzzzz.
DeVito is injured. Very likely a rib (or clavicle injury—less likely). He really gutted things out Thursday night.

Did anyone else think Coley would get a penalty or targeting on that viscous hit. Not saying it was a penalty...just saying ACC refs
I confess that I was waiting for that very late (typically crowd induced) flag to come fluttering in. Was a nice hit with no preening - so I loved it.

wasn't whistled so what's the beef ? some homer conspiracy theory ? best hit of the game. enjoy it. what i found interesting was some playbyplay banter where they said the dudes were friends. dad coaching someone or something. nasty collision and i'm glad they both survived. hope the friendship does as well.

This is not going to be a great year, however, it is going to set the stage for good football in 2020 and '21. Bowl game still feasible. We're going to beat Pitt a week from tonight. Likely by a touchdown. Don't let recency bias beat you down too much.

Thursday vs. NCSU (L10-16)

THE GOOD

• Kendall Coleman was literally everywhere. He was the best player on the field last night (both teams).
  • Defense played physical, well, outside of strange difficulty tackling Hockman. Overall, they were damn near terrific.
  • I really like Eric Coley out there.
  • DeVito threw the ball remarkably well. When he threw it. I also thought he was tentative for portions of the game, but I respect his grit to play hurt.
  • Trishton Jackson is a top 5 WR in the ACC.
  • Evan Foster played better, but that dropped INT was unfortunately enormous.
  • Hofrichter had the Pat McAfee erect with just about every punt. Funny stuff.
  • I know he bonked the kick off the upright, but Szmyt looked healthy for the first time all year. I think he's been injured (personal opinion).
  • I thought our RBs picked up blitzes better at NCSU than any other game this season. Not perfect, not great, but solid improvement there.
  • We played poorly on the road against a talented program and yet, had a chance to win in the final minute.
  • Among the freshman class, I like that we are holding on to so many redshirts. This is important for a program of our stature.

THE BAD
  • The O-Line's play was sub-standard at best.
  • Running game non-existent until last 10 minutes, when we need to pass almost exclusively. Oy vey.
  • Bad bad timing for Hofrichter to pull that late kickoff out of bounds. That was a big play.
  • The TEs were essentially non-existent in the passing game.
  • DeVito, to me, appears to be suffering from PTSD (too many sacks/hits) and injured ribs. And his some of his throw aways were strange, 2-3 which led to intentional grounding calls.
  • Need to play Tyrell Richards more. He is ridiculously physical, makes plays and it might save 1-2 penalties per game he gets or at least tempts on special teams. He plays with an edge that is going to cost us sooner rather than later. But I think he deserves more run, which would cut back on some of his post-play antics on specials.
  • I'd like for Dino & Lynch to come up with a wrinkle or two. NCSU scored the decisive points via trickeration.
  • I think we win that game with a healthy (non-rib injury) DeVito, as he'd have added a bit more to the run game. But I respect the kid for playing through substantial pain and discomfort. He deserves a lot of credit he is not getting from the vast majority on this board. He's learning how to play hurt. Not a simple exercise, especially with that injury at that position. - As an aside, this is not a criticism of Dino for playing #13 late into the Holy Cross game. Sometimes football happens.

THE UGLY
  • As undisciplined a game as I can remember SU playing. Holding on opening kickoff was just the beginning.
  • Need some guys, especially on offense, to play for "we," not "me." Too many kids not reacting properly to adversity (sulking, infighting, finger-pointing, acting out).
  • False starts galore. Tough to play at NCSU, but not as tough as we made it look.
  • Need to re-learn how to win away from the Carrier Dome. Competing for a full 60 minutes is a start. We've yet to do that, but the 4th quarter is something Dino will have to work with.
  • Cordy's days on the field should be over, outside of specials. Not only was that penalty unacceptable, but his play all season has been lacking. I get he's a sympathetic 6th-year player, but gimme Bradshaw, or better yet, Stritzinger over #8. I don’t quite get Dino’s deep loyalty here. We have better talent on the roster that deserves to develop.
  • Team looked ill prepared. Dino and his staff did not have them in the proper mindset to win that game and it took 30-40 minutes for them to even compete in the proper fashion. I LOVE DINO BABERS, but that performance last night was wholly disappointing. I sense he knows it, but hasn’t figured out how to nip it just yet.
I am seriously wondering if I saw the same game everyone else did.

Oline gave up 8 sacks, had 6 false start penalties and opened enough holes that we ran the ball 29 times for 86 yards (2.97 yards per carry).

NC St. was rushing 3 guys at times and was still forcing TD to run for his life.

There is the good, the bad, the ugly and then there needs to be a fourth category for the Oline.

Yeah, Cordy was terrible but he was all-ACC compared to the Oline.

Does anyone else understand why Stritz isnt getting significant minutes? Decent nickel and allows Trill to play man corner

while i admire his effort cordy is a shorty. and good teams will exploit that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom