The greatest shot in SU history? ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The greatest shot in SU history? ...

Wanna see some moves?
I see this and it makes me shake my head more when I see this. How could he NOT be a NBA star, yeah I know, no jump shot, and he really couldn't jump or dunk, but he could disappear into a cloud of 3 defenders, and emerge with a layup. The irony the only times I remember him getting stopped were the Graham nutshot and the Walter Berry block.

vs Iona in the NCAA. SU was down one with the clock winding down. Burgan was rejected at the rim, got his own rebound and found Janulis outside for 3.

anyone have a vid for this?

anyone have a vid for this?

I remember I was DYING to see this for awhile and then found it somewhere like 1-2 years ago only to never find it again.

Let me dig for it.

vs Iona in the NCAA. SU was down one with the clock winding down. Burgan was rejected at the rim, got his own rebound and found Janulis outside for 3.
That was a nice one that avoided an early tourney debacle.
I remember watching this at work with a couple of other alumni.
The funny thing is...our reaction...all 3 of us spontaneously shouting "Yeeeeessss" at the top of our lungs...
startled the heck out of Geraldo Rivera.

I think it has to be Pearls half courter against BC. I think the most important shot in SU history was taken by Michael Lee of Kansas and subsequently rejected by Hak Warrick as depicted in my avatar.

I see this and it makes me shake my head more when I see this. How could he NOT be a NBA star, yeah I know, no jump shot, and he really couldn't jump or dunk, but he could disappear into a cloud of 3 defenders, and emerge with a layup. The irony the only times I remember him getting stopped were the Graham nutshot and the Walter Berry block.

The Graham nutshot, lol. I remember sitting in the first row under the basket at MSG during the semis of the 1985 BET. Gtown was being really physical as usual and Pearl decided to haul off and elbow Ewing in the nuts under SU's basket. All hell broke loose and Ewing was chasing Pearl all over the place trying to land a haymaker. After about ten minutes order was restored and I remember thinking rut-ro we are in trouble now. That was Seikaly's freshman year and he looked like he saw a ghost as the intensity got jacked way up. They blew us out after that.

I was a few rows back of you in MSG for that GT Big East game and will always remember that shot to the nuts pearl delivered but honestly The best shot ever was Pearls half court it was a shot No one believed could go in¡!!!

You.

Sent using my Commodore 64
All in your mind. I thought you should have been one of the few posters here that would understand the importance of Lee's shot. Talking basketball. maybe you were looking to argue. Not me.

Pearl's was #1, IMO- but there's this:

And I also remember a buzzer-beater by Janulis...forget the opponent.

That Blackwell jumper is 1 of my favs too. There is alot going on at the time of that Blackwell shot. Not only was I in attendance, and had to sprint downstairs to catch the last train after it went in, but to see Burgan running the point, and Artest on the floor, along with FF arguing for a travel at the end is all classic material.

All in your mind. I thought you should have been one of the few posters here that would understand the importance of Lee's shot. Talking basketball. maybe you were looking to argue. Not me.

See? There you go again. You saying I should understand the IMPORTANCE of Lee's shot. I caveated my very first response and said I know there have been MORE important shots, even giving 3 examples, but that Pearls was the greatest. And after you told me I should know better, I again said I knew there were other MORE important and BIGGER shots having IMPORTANCE to the program and reiterated it was my opinion Pearl's was the greatest disregarding the importance etc.

Yet here you are again telling me I should understand the importance of Lee's shot.

No, it's not all in my mind.

Here is one from the archives, remembering Joel Mareiness calling it "Wich way to the NIT" was Chuck Wichman's shot putting us in the NIT with a big win against, yes, Niagara. Then the next year he had a game winner in OT against Fordham. Pales deeply in comparison to more opulent game-winners to come, but at the time we didn't have a lot of big shots and in its time this was one of them. Plus then the NIT had a little bit more luster on it than it does today.

Here is one from the archives, remembering Joel Mareiness calling it "Wich way to the NIT" was Chuck Wichman's shot putting us in the NIT with a big win against, yes, Niagara. Then the next year he had a game winner in OT against Fordham. Pales deeply in comparison to more opulent game-winners to come, but at the time we didn't have a lot of big shots and in its time this was one of them. Plus then the NIT had a little bit more luster on it than it does today.

Wow, what a great memory. That exact title was the headline in the paper.

if i had a vote it'd have to be john wallace vs georgia in the tourney.i really thought the season was over when georgia scored but #44 wasn't quite ready to go home. toss in the pass to cipolla...gravy.

See? There you go again. You saying I should understand the IMPORTANCE of Lee's shot. I caveated my very first response and said I know there have been MORE important shots, even giving 3 examples, but that Pearls was the greatest. And after you told me I should know better, I again said I knew there were other MORE important and BIGGER shots having IMPORTANCE to the program and reiterated it was my opinion Pearl's was the greatest disregarding the importance etc.

Yet here you are again telling me I should understand the importance of Lee's shot.

It's all in your mind. I was not arguing. I'm not now. You can write with all the caps you want. I was talking basketball. Enough. I won't waste my time going further.

My favorite, too. This was when ESPN was just getting big, and Pearl made us important nationally. Some great recruiting classes followed Pearl's time at SU, and it is not a coincidence.

Wow, what a great memory. That exact title was the headline in the paper.

Baseline drive to win it! I don't think I've felt any more excited except when my kids were born.

they were about the only two shots Wichman made in his career and they won games.

and every goddamn shot that kid from vermont took from a boat in the Atlantic that swished in worcester.
Amen to that but... please, it's still painful especially since we are this close to tourney time.