The Gus Johnson soccer experiment will ultimately be deemed | Syracusefan.com

The Gus Johnson soccer experiment will ultimately be deemed

he needs to be announcing a sport where things actually happen more than once every 30 minutes

< insert statement here >.

I think he's getting better. He used to be awful. Now, I can listen to him call a game, and it's beginning to sound natural, like he's beginning to understand what's happening on the field. That's a big part of it. As he "gets it" more and more, begins to understand the game more, I have seen him get to the point that he's tolerable.

he needs to be announcing a sport where things actually happen more than once every 30 minutes

Stuff is happening in soccer every minute. That's like saying only the last 10 seconds matter in a horse race, or nothing ever happens in baseball.

a mis-step, a la New Coke, and Fox will thankfully pull the plug before it's too late.

Martin Tyler is the very best. John Champion is very good, too. Ian Darke is a bit rough around the edges compared to some of the English announcers. But then, too, he feels the need to translate the game a bit for American audiences, where the others don't do so because we might get their feed, but they're talking to an English audience.

He has definitely improved, but still does certain annoying things. I can't stand how he Americanizes every name. David is pronounced differently when it's David Villa than David Beckham. You can tell he's getting more comfortable, but his goal calls are still a bit rough. I also think part of my problem involves Eric Wynalda, who annoys me as a color guy.

Not surprising, when he was doing MMA commentary he was flat out horrible. Glad they got rid of him from that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom