The guy without the musical chair | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The guy without the musical chair

Honestly it depends on whether they are getting their degree or not. Each are finishing their 4th year so they may be graduating. If they have no interest in grad school its a choice of playing in college or getting paid probably more money than 90% of their classmates will make their first year out of college. I don't think either one of them improves their "draft stock" by coming back. Gbinije is a possible 2nd round pick likely NBDL/Europe player and Cooney can make money overseas. Another year of college won't change that for either of them.

Personally I'd love to see them both go for a graduate degree...just because I'm a Cuse fan.

I think G could play himself into being a first round pick if he has another good year next year.

I know Cooney is never playing in the nba, but why give up a year of playing big time college bball for something that will always be there?

I think G could play himself into being a first round pick if he has another good year next year.

I know Cooney is never playing in the nba, but why give up a year of playing big time college bball for something that will always be there?
Cooney - $100,000 tax free, free car, free apartment.
Gbinije - You're right, he could. But I doubt it. The NBA draft is all about potential and G's potential will not change with an extra year in college. He'll be 23 by the time of this years draft, 24 for next years draft. He's already a man playing against boys to a large extent.

Cooney - $100,000 tax free, free car, free apartment.
Gbinije - You're right, he could. But I doubt it. The NBA draft is all about potential and G's potential will not change with an extra year in college. He'll be 23 by the time of this years draft, 24 for next years draft. He's already a man playing against boys to a large extent.

All of those thing will be available to him in a year anyway, why give up being the bmoc for what could be a top ten team next year.

Not that nbadraft.net is everything, but they currently have him going 37th in the 2016 draft, so he isn't that far away from being a first round pick.

All of those thing will be available to him in a year anyway, why give up being the bmoc for what could be a top ten team next year.

Not that nbadraft.net is everything, but they currently have him going 37th in the 2016 draft, so he isn't that far away from being a first round pick.
You asked why he would leave. I told you. That doesn't mean he will or that I think he will. There are people that would pick $100k + benefits over grad school and a year of BMOC. I have no idea if TC is one of them. You didn't ask why he would stay. If I was a betting man I'd guess they will both be back next year and really really hope they will. But I went 0-2 on my guesses last year. LGO

Okay, name a 5th year Syracuse player that decided to play overseas instead of coming back to Syracuse? We have had a lot of good 5th year guys. If you want, you could try and say devo. But it wouldn't be true. I would be very surprised if G and Cooney didn't come back. Actually, more than surprised.

If you think Gbinijie ever has a shot at being a 1st round pick, you're deluding yourselves. No one is drafting a 2 (he's a solid 2 at the next level, he doesn't have the wingspan or strength to play the 3) with such horrible free throw and floor shooting.

It's either BJ or Patterson, unless Coleman's knee is really really bad to the point of being career ending.

I think CM is most likely gone. True he might/probably could increase his value coming back. But he faces a huge risk if he reinjures the knee. Then he is done. As long as there are indications some team will take him, I wouldn't begrudge him leaving. Makes more sense to me now actually. That team knows what they would getting and would be investing in him to rehab.

I'd be extremely surprised if either MG or TC go. They're both in the position that they have wanted for some time. These are their glory days, and I think they know it.

I think CM is most likely gone. True he might/probably could increase his value coming back. But he faces a huge risk if he reinjures the knee. Then he is done. As long as there are indications some team will take him, I wouldn't begrudge him leaving. Makes more sense to me now actually. That team knows what they would getting and would be investing in him to rehab.

I'd be extremely surprised if either MG or TC go. They're both in the position that they have wanted for some time. These are their glory days, and I think they know it.
Trevor might get over 40 minutes a game next year...

If you think Gbinijie ever has a shot at being a 1st round pick, you're deluding yourselves. No one is drafting a 2 (he's a solid 2 at the next level, he doesn't have the wingspan or strength to play the 3) with such horrible free throw and floor shooting.
and you were saying about Rak last year...And I agree that silent G isn't an NBA player but I guess I have learned to see how much a guy can improve his game before he has to go.

Mike g would get eaten up in the pros because he has no left hand.

Mike g would get eaten up in the pros because he has no left hand.
Your basic point that one needs both hands to play in the NBA is correct, but there are exceptions--Jerry West and Calvin Murphy come to mind immediately. And, yes, they are old timers, but they could play in any era.

Your basic point that one needs both hands to play in the NBA is correct, but there are exceptions--Jerry West and Calvin Murphy come to mind immediately. And, yes, they are old timers, but they could play in any era.

Haha what was jerry west's FT %?

I don't think he's an NBA player but then I see a guy like Chris Douglas-Roberts or CJ Miles play sometimes and think; why not Mike?

Calvin Murphy was great with both hands. He was known for being able to dribble two balls at the same time at full speed. Hard to believe West couldn't use both hands. I know I've seen him cross over but can't recall him finishing with his left.

If we're talking NBA it may be a tossup between CM and G. I'd still lean toward McCullough because the NBA draft is all about potential, not production. I could see G being a 2nd round pick because of his versatility. In the NBA he can play either the 1 or the 2. He's got a lot of skills for a 6'7" guy. If we're talking transfers I think it would be BJ or Chin. If we get Bryant, Chin would be the 4th or 5th option at C at best assuming CM and DC2 are playing. And the other 4 have ability to play the 4 also. (I could have sworn I said at one time that I hate to speculate on transfers...:bat:.
If Chin transfers we do not get Bryant.

Calvin Murphy was great with both hands. He was known for being able to dribble two balls at the same time at full speed. Hard to believe West couldn't use both hands. I know I've seen him cross over but can't recall him finishing with his left.
Used to watch Calvin Murphy play for Gorton in Yonkers going head to head with Boo Glover of Roosevelt, Glover was better than Murphy, maybe the best in the Country, but never made it to college.

Some of you do not pay much attention to recruiting. Chino is not transferring to make room for Bryant.

Last edited:
and you were saying about Rak last year...And I agree that silent G isn't an NBA player but I guess I have learned to see how much a guy can improve his game before he has to go.

I said Rak was a 2nd round pick at best last year. And lo and behold, that's where he's slotted.

Is it really a deal breaker for Bryant if Chino leaves? Yea, they're friends but if that's the big factor, then Bryant needs to re-evaluate his priorities. Chino will just be his cheerleader while he's here anyways.

My guess is Patterson is transferring. Cooney and Malachi eat up all the minutes at the 2 next year. I see zero minutes for Patterson unless he learns how to dribble.

I would't give up on Chino. He's one of these foreign imports that hasn't played the game that many years. (So was Rak.) He hasn't looked all that terrible when he's gotten a chance to play. I wouldn't just toss him away like a fish you caught that was too small. He's not Sean Williams.

I said Rak was a 2nd round pick at best last year. And lo and behold, that's where he's slotted.

I think Rak finds his way into the first round. To a playoff team that needs some immediate front line help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom