The Highways and Byways of Pennsylvania. You made me do it. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Highways and Byways of Pennsylvania. You made me do it.

No offense, but driving in PA is torture. I'm sure the big cities are fun, but getting there is just not worth it. Even traveling though the state without transiting a major city is awful - Exhibit A - Shamokin Dam. I curse the state every time I get waylaid there. Are they ever going to fix that?
In 'hibernation' for 40 years, the Route 15 bypass project is finally unearthed

Why would I be offended? The only good thing for me is Rt 81 is a straight shot from here (Hershey/Palmyra) to Syracuse, and then 481 to Fayetteville (Home:)). But construction/repair is never-ending. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is in almost constant disarray. The ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum cadence of long stretches of Rt 81 is like Chinese water-torture and the potholes are sometimes mistaken for sinkholes (another lovely benefit of living where I live). The Route 15 issue is ever evolving. At least it is a 4 lane road now. The bypass took (via eminent domain) my grandfather-in-law's house and all my wife's and her family's memories along with it. I'm grateful for a short commute to/from work. Anything outside of that is an adventure...one that I am frequently loathe to take.

I cannot believe this is a thread

Love this thread. Going to post here everytime I drive through Pennsylvania.

In my opinion, we should not recruit the highways nor the byways of Pennsylvania. They aren't of Power 5 quality.

I cannot believe this is a thread

It's a shared misery. It helps fill the anxious moments of waiting for more recruiting news. I mean, if a message board isn't a place where people can come together to celebrate or b!tch about something, then what's the point?;) I mean, who's going to argue with the sentiments expressed on this thread? (Look at me wasting time writing this as I await more salient news about our sporting teams...I should get back to paying bills)

My favorite thing about driving through Pennsylvania is that moment when I cross the border into New York with my trunk full of fireworks...I let out my evilest grand villain laugh and get low behind the wheel with a shady grin. And yes, little kids look at me and I know they are thinking '...that is a bad bad man!'

Me and my son went to a train show in Lebanon today and I kid you not we passed zero constructions zones and made really good time. It’s a Christmas miracle!!!!

Me and my son went to a train show in Lebanon today and I kid you not we passed zero constructions zones and made really good time. It’s a Christmas miracle!!!!
But did you get any bologna?;)

Last edited:
Why would I be offended? The only good thing for me is Rt 81 is a straight shot from here (Hershey/Palmyra) to Syracuse, and then 481 to Fayetteville (Home:)). But construction/repair is never-ending. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is in almost constant disarray. The ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum cadence of long stretches of Rt 81 is like Chinese water-torture and the potholes are sometimes mistaken for sinkholes (another lovely benefit of living where I live). The Route 15 issue is ever evolving. At least it is a 4 lane road now. The bypass took (via eminent domain) my grandfather-in-law's house and all my wife's and her family's memories along with it. I'm grateful for a short commute to/from work. Anything outside of that is an adventure...one that I am frequently loathe to take.

I drive from NC typically a few times a year. When I get to the Scranton area I get off and hop on the turnpike to Wilkes-Barre. Cost me 2.50 I think and no pot holes and no where for cops to hide and limited cars. I never risk Scranton. Only bad thing is if in that time you have to use a tow truck you have to use certain tow companies allowed on turn pike.

D7D139E7-9DFA-4404-A494-903837B48E54.jpeg

I had my worst Dad experience right outside of Scranton. Caught in standstill traffic with a 6 month year old in the back. Kid is crying so hard and wants milk, my wife is trying to use the breast pump, guys in 18 wheelers are looking into the car window, I’m yelling at the cars to go. 5 hour trip to Baltimore turned into 8.

Yeah, F PA

This threads never going to reach its full potential on this board.

This board needed this thread.

There is nowhere else to mourn the thousands of brave, yet perished deer that attempt to cross route 81 each year in search of a better life.

And Scranton is where I envision the afterlife would be for the worst of the sinners.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom