The issue is still the oline | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The issue is still the oline

Yup, but as i have been saying, the starter going out CAN'T bring the entire team down. Cant and that is in the cosching department. Teams rally around backups, next man up.

Eh, the next man up is being preserved. Babers inherited one good QB and recruited another one that he thought best to give a redshirt. Long term vision.

Going to fire Jimbo Fisher too?

It happens, everyone needs to get over it.

Eh, the next man up is being preserved. Babers inherited one good QB and recruited another one that he thought best to give a redshirt. Long term vision.

Going to fire Jimbo Fisher too?

It happens, everyone needs to get over it.

Good reference, but jumbos team kept fighting all year and he lost his qb 7 weeks ahead of us. Come on. Good comparison, but the FSU qb going down wasn't comparable to our situation. :)

Good reference, but jumbos team kept fighting all year and he lost his qb 7 weeks ahead of us. Come on. Good comparison, but the FSU qb going down wasn't comparable to our situation. :)

Maybe because they had a whole season ahead of them, and we just missed a FG to go to OT in a win that could have made a bowl appearance that much more possible?

What do you think we should do? Keep Dino or move on? Seriously. There's no point spending this much time against him if you think he should stay.

Maybe because they had a whole season ahead of them, and we just missed a FG to go to OT in a win that could have made a bowl appearance that much more possible?

What do you think we should do? Keep Dino or move on? Seriously. There's no point spending this much time against him if you think he should stay.

Add in it's another 5 star kid that's a bit raw and not filled out. What we run out there is completely different.

So, interesting. You think the fact we were outcoached and out schemed as well as came out flat and apathetic the last 2 weeks; has ANYTHING to do do with the oline? The young oline has done well and isn't the story of the last 2 weeks.

ill give you outschemed, but no f****** way did we come out flat in either game

So, interesting. You think the fact we were outcoached and out schemed as well as came out flat and apathetic the last 2 weeks; has ANYTHING to do do with the oline? The young oline has done well and isn't the story of the last 2 weeks.
Right. I'm not disagreeing.

ill trust the people paid to evaluate high school athletes
Sure, go ahead, just know that they are right only about 20% of the time according tot he numbers.

You would be better off flipping a coin than trusting them at least those odds are 50/50.

Maybe. Kinda have to think, though, that Babers is thinking long term and just doesn't want to burn his shirt.
now this is the type of wisdom I come here for. wow. no one could have thought of this.

go back and watch the last 2 games.. Wake and Lou did the same thing.. put 6 in the box and stop the run, man up our 1-2 guys who can catch and take away the spread of the field in zone.

we had so many plays where UL ran 4 down lineman and 2 LB and we were running 2 RB sets and we couldnt even get clear of the LOS without contact. 8 on 6 has to work before any real running game happens.. running plays fail when 1 guy misses a block but many of our plays have 2-3 missed blocks. When you add in no running threat at QB , the options are limited.. we took deep shots and connected on none even the open ones failed. UL took shots into coverage and connected. We dont need 3-4 Speed guys but we need one.

Its too bad Culpepper is so immobile he would have rushed for 150 just on draw plays if he would make any kind of moves.
I'll disagree with your premise, but I agree with some of your examples. Oline is young, work in progress. But they didn't let up 100+ points in 2 games.

As for 6 in the box. Not bad. (I watch 10 in the box, for high school- bad comparison, but that can also be managed) I do wonder if they'll address it, scheme wise, though. Not sure if I've seen that- because I don't know if they can.

Line still needs improvement, but it's not THE issue. Despite being listed as OL, I'm fairly certain that Horan is coming in as TE. His big body should work well, in addressing the LB in the run game. Servais is a good player(current best center), but his better skill set is his lateral movement (4.6 shuttle). I think he fares better at guard, and eventually , tackle.

Pieces aren't quite in place, or in the right place, but they've been addressing this, for a while. Improved over last year. I expect next year, to be another big jump in line play.

What I won't disagree with you on... Until all the pieces are in place to run it up the gut( The meathead football, that is sometimes mocked on this site) the offense will lack the required dimension to counter a stacked box.

O'Sullivan/Davis should compete. One of the best centers in the country(woot!) Is coming in to fight for the job. A big @ss kid from the bronx, will eventually make an impact(I think he needs a year of S & C, and needs to limber up a bit), and a 100% Meathead run blocker from the Northeast(needs a year, his team is run only-Made championship with less than 30 pass attempts, last year) They are recruiting on every aspect. Skill-Sampson, size- White, Run/strength Froumy.

They started addressing this day 1. It takes 2 years to make an ACC lineman. We're not 2 years in. I'm not worried.

The OL stayed pretty healthy and took 2 steps forward and one back after a tough start of the season. Young and got better but have to be more consistent, stronger, faster and efficient. They're facing a very good BC defense and they have their work cut out for them.

The DL is what disappeared as the season progressed. Injuries or whatever the reason they played no impact what so ever and that was the catalyst to the rest of the D falling apart. You can hide a lot of faults with a good to great DL and they struggled and showed the major weaknesses at LB and DB as they were exposed big time. I'm sure injuries were a big part of this along with depth but the D depends on them being strong and unfortunately they really struggled these last 2 games. We see what happens when they struggle.

DL faced 2 really good QB's the past two games in their defense, one a Heisman winner and probably the best player in college football. Against BC that will not be a problem so we'll see how they do.

Lol, the O-Line doesn't cover anyone on defense, they don't rush the passer and they don't tackle...

Those are the problems, not the O-Line. The O-Line is very young and getting better, we also have good depth there along with some really highly touted reinforcements coming in.

Least of our worries, now LB, DE and Safety...those are the concerns.

He's right. The OL is a MAJOR issue, more so than anything else. It has been all year. There's really been not much wrong with the defense until the 2H of the Wake game.

Teams with a good backup QB play better. Teams with a bad backup QB play worse.
dude wasn't recruited out of high school and walked on here. given his talent, he's had great moments but people act like other schools are in the same spot

dude wasn't recruited out of high school and walked on here. given his talent, he's had great moments but people act like other schools are in the same spot
So, in fairness, Mahoney proved himself to be better than 3 QBs we recruited (Long, Kimble, Wilson). What does his recruitment out of high school matter? Consider his play against Pitt last season, and first half against Wake. Walk-on status become irrelevant after a player earns his role.

Do many other P5 programs have better #2 QBs? Sure.

So, in fairness, Mahoney proved himself to be better than 3 QBs we recruited (Long, Kimble, Wilson). What does his recruitment out of high school matter? Consider his play against Pitt last season, and first half against Wake. Walk-on status become irrelevant after a player earns his role.

his recruitment matters when people compare our backup situation with other schools and think that other schools would do just fine having to play a guy who can't throw the ball

He's right. The OL is a MAJOR issue, more so than anything else. It has been all year. There's really been not much wrong with the defense until the 2H of the Wake game.

It is a big issue -- and there are several others. Lack of a RB to match what other ACC teams have; lack of a speed pass rusher; lack of a deep threat receiver; a tad small and young at DE; lack of play makers on defense (no interceptions or forced fumbles -- except one take-away by Dungey); lack of punt returns. Can't just isolate the OL as one unit to fix.

his recruitment matters when people compare our backup situation with other schools and think that other schools would do just fine having to play a guy who can't throw the ball[/QUOTE

Whether Mahoney can throw the ball -- relevant. Recruitment out of high school -- not so much.

It is a big issue -- and there are several others. Lack of a RB to match what other ACC teams have; lack of a speed pass rusher; lack of a deep threat receiver; a tad small and young at DE; lack of play makers on defense (no interceptions or forced fumbles -- except one take-away by Dungey); lack of punt returns. Can't just isolate the OL as one unit to fix.

agree on all this. Shafer left a pretty bare cupboard.

RE wide receivers and the deep threat thing. I think 'deep threat' is overblown, what we lack is a YAC guy. Somebody who is always a threat to take it to the house.

This is more of an indictment of our QB recruiting under that past 2 staffs than anything else.

agree on all this. Shafer left a pretty bare cupboard.

RE wide receivers and the deep threat thing. I think 'deep threat' is overblown, what we lack is a YAC guy. Somebody who is always a threat to take it to the house.
True -- Shafer left a team that did not win much in 2014 or 2015, and the question shifts to how well Babers is filling the gaps in his roster. Work in progress.

The new coach at BGSU (lots of losses in 2016 and 2017) might be blaming the cupboard Babers left. But it became his show.

This is more of an indictment of our QB recruiting under that past 2 staffs than anything else.

You can extend the point. We haven't had strong QB recruiting in a dozen years, under 4 staffs. Nassib and Dungey are the exceptions. Fortunately, Nassib was durable -- didn't need a back-up. DeVito is very promising, and maybe Dino will find someone at the end of this cycle.

I believe the problem with the defense is depth and depth only. When we were completely health we were "good" enough defensively. When injuries happened we started over playing people and playing people that aren't P5 calibare players. That will hopefully change with depth. That is where other schools have us in depth. We lose a saftey and replace him with someone that isnt P5 quality when others lose a safety they replace with another 4 or 5 star athlete. That maybe raw on IQ but as the athletism to run at the P5 level. Our backup just lack size and speed needed to maintain defense through out the year.

On offense it is the line and running game. Not sure which one is currently at fault. Might be a combo of both of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom