The issue is still the oline | Syracusefan.com

The issue is still the oline

upperdeck

Living Legend
go back and watch the last 2 games.. Wake and Lou did the same thing.. put 6 in the box and stop the run, man up our 1-2 guys who can catch and take away the spread of the field in zone.

we had so many plays where UL ran 4 down lineman and 2 LB and we were running 2 RB sets and we couldnt even get clear of the LOS without contact. 8 on 6 has to work before any real running game happens.. running plays fail when 1 guy misses a block but many of our plays have 2-3 missed blocks. When you add in no running threat at QB , the options are limited.. we took deep shots and connected on none even the open ones failed. UL took shots into coverage and connected. We dont need 3-4 Speed guys but we need one.

Its too bad Culpepper is so immobile he would have rushed for 150 just on draw plays if he would make any kind of moves.

go back and watch the last 2 games.. Wake and Lou did the same thing.. put 6 in the box and stop the run, man up our 1-2 guys who can catch and take away the spread of the field in zone.

we had so many plays where UL ran 4 down lineman and 2 LB and we were running 2 RB sets and we couldnt even get clear of the LOS without contact. 8 on 6 has to work before any real running game happens.. running plays fail when 1 guy misses a block but many of our plays have 2-3 missed blocks. When you add in no running threat at QB , the options are limited.. we took deep shots and connected on none even the open ones failed. UL took shots into coverage and connected. We dont need 3-4 Speed guys but we need one.

Its too bad Culpepper is so immobile he would have rushed for 150 just on draw plays if he would make any kind of moves.
The o-line is so insanely young, and without it's best player that I'm not too concerned about it moving forward. A lot of growing pains, for sure, but to me, overall, the run blocking between week 1 and now, has improved.

OL is fine, I think, other than the recurring false starts. The offense, as a whole, though, is fine. The problem is lack of depth at key positions (e.g. QB). Honestly comes down to having only one actual starting quality QB.

we have 2, devito can play or he wouldnt be a 4 star recruit with all big programs trying to get him late

the fact that we can move the ball at all shows that the offense as designed can work, I think the oline is doing OK. I would give them a B at pass blocking and a C- at run blocking. Wisc/Stan all they want to do us run and some of those holes are 5-6 yds wide and teams do nothing but try to stop the run. you can count on 1 hand the number of holes we have had like that this year. We cant even run outside at all because they cant maintain a block so we only have about 2 running holes we can use. We cant run real RPO like what Wake used to kill us because we never have 4-5 guys all holding their blocks.

i do think it gets better, it got better this year, the backs are still a step slow so that doesnt help either. if this is an issue in 2 more yrs then we will be looking for new coaches.. It would not surprise me at all though if the oline improves tremendously next year. In a real world only 1 of these guys would be on the field right now because we would have 2-3 Jr/Sr starters and some depth. We have about 6 guys they felt they could use this year, next year I think its closer to 10 and if the 2 FR can crack the 2 deep that says alot about where we were this year.

In tbe laundry list of things outta whack, the oline is pretty far down tje list. There were holes for moe and ZM had some time to throw. Geeez.

there are creases, never holes. have we had 1 drive all year where we ran it down the field to score, we are passing despite the running game issues. teams dont send extra guys so the pass blocking holds up. MTSU didnt and they killed us with the blitz

His red shirt isn't going to be burned. So, there's really only 1, and he's out.
if there were more than 3 games left when dungey got hurt than would have played devito i bet

if there were more than 3 games left when dungey got hurt than would have played devito i bet
Maybe. Kinda have to think, though, that Babers is thinking long term and just doesn't want to burn his shirt.

Dungey going down brought the whole team down, 2nd quarter of Wake notwithstanding. If there’s a singular issue, that’s it. It effected everyone. The Mahoney from 2H Wake and 1H Louisville is probably more like the one they see at practice.

OL is fine, I think, other than the recurring false starts. The offense, as a whole, though, is fine. The problem is lack of depth at key positions (e.g. QB). Honestly comes down to having only one actual starting quality QB.

They haven’t false started multiple times in a game in a long while...

Next year we start a 4* center, get one of our best OL back in Roberts, and can slide Servais somewhere where he’ll be more effective.

Plus our young OL starts to get old with experience. Wake and NC State start to lose their older DL.

His red shirt isn't going to be burned. So, there's really only 1, and he's out.
So after next year, are we in the same situation after Dungy graduates, leaving a RSoph Devito and maybe an as of yet unsigned lightly recruited guy this year, or a true FR that is signed the year after that

we have 2, devito can play or he wouldnt be a 4 star recruit with all big programs trying to get him late
How is it that you absolutely know that Devito can play at this level?

Are you a psychic or clairvoyant? Which is it.

Just an FYI, there have been many 4 star busts in college at the QB position. Maybe he can play, maybe he can't but I am certain that you have absolutely no idea whether he can or not, nobody does until he steps on the field in a live game.

Oh and neither do those coaches that tried to get him late.

Dungey going down brought the whole team down, 2nd quarter of Wake notwithstanding. If there’s a singular issue, that’s it. It effected everyone. The Mahoney from 2H Wake and 1H Louisville is probably more like the one they see at practice.

Yup, but as i have been saying, the starter going out CAN'T bring the entire team down. Cant and that is in the cosching department. Teams rally around backups, next man up.

The o-line is so insanely young, and without it's best player that I'm not too concerned about it moving forward. A lot of growing pains, for sure, but to me, overall, the run blocking between week 1 and now, has improved.

Yes, but the issue the past few weeks and the reason we are looking at 4-8, ISN'T the Oline. My god! They were one of the more solid units that stayed together even through this last few weeks of sucking thumbs and apathy. Give me a break. Holes were there yesterday and they are young and getting better each week.

Lol, the O-Line doesn't cover anyone on defense, they don't rush the passer and they don't tackle...

Those are the problems, not the O-Line. The O-Line is very young and getting better, we also have good depth there along with some really highly touted reinforcements coming in.

Least of our worries, now LB, DE and Safety...those are the concerns.

Yes, but the issue the past few weeks and the reason we are looking at 4-8, ISN'T the Oline. My god! They were one of the more solid units that stayed together even through this last few weeks of sucking thumbs and apathy. Give me a break. Holes were there yesterday and they are young and getting better each week.
Yeah. I don't disagree.

Just an FYI, there have been many 4 star busts in college at the QB position. Maybe he can play, maybe he can't but I am certain that you have absolutely no idea whether he can or not, nobody does until he steps on the field in a live game.

Hope so, but there have been just as many 4 star qb's to be a bust, as there have been that became starters. "Starters" mind you, do not really mean good-great qb. In fact I just checked out the class of 2014 4 star qb's on rovals. Of the 23, only about 5 panned out as good to great.

ill trust the people paid to evaluate high school athletes

Yeah. I don't disagree.

So, interesting. You think the fact we were outcoached and out schemed as well as came out flat and apathetic the last 2 weeks; has ANYTHING to do do with the oline? The young oline has done well and isn't the story of the last 2 weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom