The Jim Boeheim Show (11/29/18) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show (11/29/18)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, congratulations on a great win. You’ve had a lot of them, often on adverse conditions but this one was certainly one of them. A shaky start to the season and to the game. A road game against the team the NCAA had ranked #1. And you seemed to be going 5 on 8 much of the game. Yet your team came back to win decisively. They showed the fortitude they will need to compete against a difficult schedule for the next four months.

You have an unusual problem with this team. You returned all five starters but you have some new players who are too good to keep on the bench. You have to integrate the new guys without losing what the starters have shown they can give you. I remember when you had Brandon Triche, Scoop Jardine and Dion waiters and they were used in a literal rotation in which waiters, who came off the bench actually played slightly more minutes than the two starters. Will we see something like that with Howard, Battle and Carey and also Brissett, Dolezaj and Hughes?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Coach talked about the Ohio State game. “They weren’t rated very high in the pre-season. They climbed the ranks from nowhere. They are a good team but probably not a top 10 team. Each team ahd three pretty good threes down the stretch. We made ours and they missed theirs. That’s all it takes sometimes. “

Regarding the foul situation. “I’ve never been in a situation like that. They were banging our centers the whole game. If our guys did anything, it was a foul.” Matt pointed out we made 17 of 19 free throws and that that was a key factor in the game. But we were called for 28 fouls to 17 and they took 35 free throws, allowing State to score 26 points from the foul line, 9 more than we did. JB: “They had two intentional fouls at the end so we drew only 15 real fouls and had only 15 free throw attempts. Seven of their last ten points of the first half were from the free throw line. Some of that was bad fouls. Some of it was bad calls. All you can do is try to overcome things like that. Our defense was better and our shooting was on a whole other level. We actually had better shots against Oregon but we missed them.”

Matt noted that the last six meetings between Syracuse and Ohio State have all taken place in different cities: Columbus, Syracuse, Hartford, Anchorage, New York, Boston
Matchup Finder | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
He asked Jim what had happened when he interviewed for the Ohio State job. “It was 1986. We’d just recruited a tremendous class, (Derek Coleman, Stevie Thompson, Keith Hughes, Earl Duncan and Matt Roe). They wanted to talk to me. I told them I wasn’t coming out there but they could come here if they wanted to. They came and we talked. I could tell after ten minutes that I wasn’t going anywhere. I suggested Gary Williams and he got the job. “

They talked about Thad Matta, who wasn’t fired by Ohio State but had to retire due to his health. He’s got some kind of back trouble that has left him barely able to walk per JB. “He couldn’t move his legs”.

I was trying to call in but just got a ringing phone on both the local and 888 number. Meanwhile both Liam from Pompey and Marty form Ithaca somehow managed to get through. I turned the radio back on and Coach was answering Liam, who had probably congratulated the coach on the big win. “We need to get better as a team to prepare for Cornell. They are a good team and have weapons. You can struggle against anybody, as we did against Colgate.”

Marty wanted to know how we were going to stop Matt Morgan of Cornell and what contribution Frank Howard could make in his current condition. JB: “Frank helped us by making some big shots and stabilizing the team. Physically, he’s still got a ways to go….Matt Morgan is going to wind up second to Bill Bradley as the all-time leading Ivy League scorer. He can shoot, drive and is very physical. He can play in the NBA….Of course, Bill scored his points in only three years. He averaged 30 a game. He was a great player and is a great man and a great guy.” Matt said that there’s a picture of Jim Boeheim guarding Bill Bradley in Madison Square Garden. JB: “I wasn’t guarding him. We were in a box and one and he scored 36 points.”
Bill Bradley: Bill Bradley College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Matt Morgan: Matt Morgan College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Jim Boeheim vs. Bill Bradley:

5bb7304e1f0000390124f72a.jpeg

I finally got through with my question: “Marek will get his minutes. He’s a very valuable player. I like him coming off the bench because he can help us at both forward and center. Hughes is the better shooter and you want to start the shooter. Carey can make some good plays. Then there’s Oshae, Frank and Tyus. You can play those six guys any time.” Matt suggested that “in a pinch”, Buddy Boeheim, Howard Washington and Robert Braswell could play, too. JB: “That’s the difference between this year and last year. last year we’d have had Matthew Moyer in there, (chuckle and sigh). And we had no guards”, (meaning, I guess, no back-up when Howard fouled out). Buddy will play, too. 5-6 games is nothing. Ohio State wouldn’t have given him a shot. He’s just as bit off in his shot. There are 2-3 high school All-Americans not playing at all. Andy Rautins didn’t play as a freshman. Some can play immediately. Some need time.”

Central Florida, (who has a 7-6 center), was playing Alabama on TV. The Tide had lost only to Northeastern, who we will play next Tuesday. They “have a lot of good shooters, including Jordan Roland of Westhill High School. Their record is 3-4 but they are better than that.” Coach said he had some film on the Huskies. “They’ve played against some zones. We don’t bother to get film of opposing teams against a man for man. That doesn’t help us.”

Steve in Rome, (they have one in Rome, too?) said that we aren’t a 20% three point shooting team or a 50% team. What will be normal for this team? JB: “It’s hard to be consistent. 35-40% is good. Teams who do better than that usually have two 45% guys and they do all the shooting. We have several guys capable of getting hot. Tyus, Oshae and Frank can hit the three. Hughes is a good shooter. Jalen can shoot. Buddy will get going. Marek can make that shot if he’s open. They were doubling Tyus. Marek made his shots and they stopped doubling Tyus who could now get into the lane. Players like Trevor Cooney or Buddy have to be guarded all the time because they could make shots from out there and they stay with him. It opens things up for others.”

What does the coach think of the ACC Big Ten challenge. “I’d rather not do it but you do it. What the heck. It’s OK. I’d rather play Connecticut or St. John’s. With a 20 game season we’ll have to play ACC games in December. I don’t like it but you’d have to do it….the Miami upset hurt the league. The Big 10 is good. But Pitt had two lay-ups to beat Iowa. NC State led Wisconsin most of the way. Louisville is playing great, despite not having the players they had last year. Virginia Tech lost to Penn State. Anything can happen I these crazy games. Virginia had only 2 turnovers vs. Maryland. But Maryland came close at the end.” What did coach think of Roy Williams mea culpa after North Carolina got blown out by Michigan? “He always says that. People like it. When we lose, we lose. We coach the same way but the players don’t always play the same way. It’s on all of us….UNC has played well. Michigan has been playing at an unbelievably high level. They’ve gone from unranked to portably the top 5 in the next poll. That Villanova game was crazy. UNC will be fine. He’ll be a good coach in the next game.”

Will Julie be wearing some kind of hybrid clothes at the Cornell game. “No. She’ll just be nervous.”

Should Ohio State be in the college football playoff? “They barely got by Maryland, then blew out Michigan. They will blow out Northwestern and make it hard for the committee. What if Oklahoma wins and Georgia gives Alabama a tough game? What if Georgia beats Alabama? What if Oklahoma’s win is a close game? ”

On Dino Babers’ team: “It’s been a tremendous year for SU. Dino should have been the Coach of the Year – that’s bias. It should have been a 50-20 vote. Even Dabo would agree with that. Voting for the other coaches was nonsense.” Which bowl game should they go to? “A bowl is a bowl. You get more practices and better recruiting. Alabama gets the best recruiting class each year. You know why…..the bottom has dropped out at Louisville. All their recruits are gone. Purdue has a top 20 recruiting class. Brohm can get better job next year.”

Buffalo, who we play on December 18th, “is a Top 15-20 team. They will be there all year.

They ended with a “health check”: Paschal Chukwu “couldn’t push off and hadn’t practiced”. Frank Howard is “not near to what he can do. Jalen Carey can make some good plays. But it’s nice to have your senior in there.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom