The Jim Boeheim Show- after Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- after Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

The first hour is eventually, (it can take weeks) podcasted on the SU Athletics website on this page:
http://suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx
(Update: the last podcast is a preview of the first Duke game from last year so maybe they have stopped podcasting the show. )

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

“Coach, we’ve been used to rooting for teams that look like they might win us another national championship. This team doesn’t look like that type of team but they are getting pretty fun to root for. They are starting to remind me of 1970’s era teams, especially our first Final Four team with Rudy Hackett cleaning up inside while Jimmy Lee bombing away from outside. What gives you the most pleasure: a team with minimal problems that achieves maximum glory or a team that overcomes its limitations and adversity to achieve more than you would have thought?”

Second hour:

“Coach, with the injury to Chris McCullough, who had bene playing back-up center, it’s been suggested that DaJuan Coleman’s redshirt should be reconsidered. On the other hand a local radio personality suggested on the air that there was no point in redshirting him, that we should have just “let his eligibility run out” because he’s never going to play for us with the guys we’ve got coming in. It’s also been suggested that we’ll need his scholarship to make room for one of them. What is the potential, if any, for DaJuan to help this year’s team and what is the potential for him to help us next year or the year afterwards?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

Coach was late for the show. And Matt Park filled the time by interviewing Wes Durham, long time ACC broadcaster. We saw that Virginia and Syracuse were tied atop the ACC standings at 4-0. “Two different 4-0s, but still 4-0. If you’re 4-0 in the ACC, you’ve done a good job.” He discussed various teams in the conference. Notre Dame is very good but always has close games with Georgia Tech. “They can always shoot but I’m really impressed with their passing.” NC State “is very talented.” Louisville and Duke “will be quite a backcourt battle. Chris Jones and Terry Rozier are playing as well together as any backcourt Rick Pitino has had. Clemson “has an outstanding freshman in Donte Grantham. Jaron Blossomgame is also very good. But Ron Hill is the key for them. If he plays well, Clemson plays well.”

Then the star of the show showed up, (I’m sure they were keeping the chicken marsala warm). Wake forest “was a great game for both teams. We played well on offense. They got two half-court shots and almost three. A kid who’s been scoring nothing got 26. The defense struggled- we’ll have games like that. Being down 9 is not fun. Wake Forest had late leads against Duke and Louisville and beat Georgia tech. We missed a lot of 2 point shots, a lot of shots we need to make. “

Later Gomez asked about the game, too. JB: “It was an exciting, great game. Wake Forest pretty much had it under control until we got some good steals, some big shots and some really good plays at the end Mike had a great drive at the end of regulation. Nobody challenged him but it rimmed out. . A 27% three point shooter made 2 of 3 half court shots. An 0 for 7 guy made a three. I’ve never seen one guy make two half-court shots in the same game.”

“Wake Forest made so many outside shots they didn’t go to Thomas. That helped us because it kept Rak out of foul trouble. “ What’s the plan when he gets into foul trouble? JB, (kidding): “We don’t have a plan….Chino is the back-up center. Rak has learned tout of foul trouble and to stay in games when he’s in it.”
“We can’t keep going with three guys. We’re working hard with the others in practice to get them ready. We need to improve the perimeter and get the other guys ready”

Matt mentioned “Konstantinos Mitoglou” and Jim said “Oh Ho! He made quick shots. We got on him a few times and he still made them. I can’t think of a big who shot the ball like that against us.” He noted that Rakeem’s 35 points was the most by an SU player in 7 years. “Danny Manning was a great player. His defense struggles because he’s got a young team. He’s got good shooters. It was a good win.”

Matt asked about playing without Chris McCullough. “It’s tough to lose Chris. He was working hard and getting comfortable with what he could do in college. We’ve had two torn ACLs- Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins and both came back with the knee stronger than before because of all the work they did.

Jim in Central Square got the first call in this time and said that he’s the guy that drives the team bus to the airport He was angry that Rakeem Christmas wasn’t nominated for the Wooden award. Jim was puzzled by it himself. “Four games in, he’s the best player in the ACC. They must not be paying attention. I’m in the USA Today, (coaches) poll. I watch every game every week. It’s absolutely ridiculous.”

Tom in Mohawk asked about our four recruits, all of whom have been nominated for the McDonald’s All-American game. Jim: “They’re all good, high-level players. Our numbers are down and we needed an influx of players. You never know how freshmen will work out. I thought we’d have too many guys. The Ennis and Grant left and Coleman and McCullough got hurt.”

Matt read a question from off of twitter: Why does he prefer Ronnie Patterson to Kaleb Joseph? “You never know. I have to watch the game and see who’s effective and who is not. Kaleb had a very good practice today, very aggressive. Ronnie is a bigger, stronger defender.”

Another twitter fans wanted to know if ACC coaches complain about the weather in Syracuse. “Not as long as it’s OK in the Carrier Dome”.

I finally called in my first question. “I like both. I like to accomplish as much as you can. There’s no limit on what a team can do. It’s good to have a really good team but sometimes you have a team that hangs in there and wins. Over time we’ve had strong teams, young teams, good offensive and good defensive teams, everything. You want to get the most out of each team.” He suggested that “With Arinze we might have had a Final Four team or even won it all. Losing Fab was a blow. Now we lose Chris when he was getting back on track. His size and length will be difficult to replace.” Coach alter said that this team doesn’t remind him of other teams. I think he views every team as a different set of problems to solve.

Matt turned the discussion to Clemson, who lost their great player form last year, K. J. Daniels. They just got badly beaten by Virginia but “Nobody’s going to do much against Virginia. They’re clearly the best team in the league and maybe in the country. They might be better than last year. No one guy stars for them. Their point guard makes no mistakes. Their big guy is good. They have guys coming off the bench. They are dominating people who are heard to dominate. Clemson didn’t have one double-figure scorer against them. For Clemson, Hall is a tremendous point guard. Their big guys are getting better they won at Pitt. Clemson is a tough place to play.”

Matt asked about the upcoming Louisville-Duke game. “Duke is very good but very young. Miami is playing really well. They dominated the game. The conference has good balance. Georgia tech has lost four games by ‘nothing’. Duke struggles on the defensive end. The Louisville guards are very difficult to play against.” Matt noted that the Boston College-Virginia game ill be on at the same time but maybe SU fans can “zap” back and forth between them to scout four future opponents. (Duke-Louisville is on at Noon on ESPN, Boston College- Virginia at 2PM on “Full Court” or ESPN3 and the SU-Clemson game at 4PM, Channel 3 in Syracuse: NC State and Florida State are also on Full Court/ESPN 3 at 1:30 and Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh is at the same source at 4PM.) JB marveled that we now have “30 games a day” to watch. Does he really watch all of them?!?

Brad in Liverpool wonder if Duke was just having bad luck or did teams find a weakness in them. JB: “They’re young. It’s a tough conference. NC State and Miami have great guards. They had a tough time with Wake Forest. They will have to play really well at Louisville. Their three best players are freshmen. They’ll get through it. There’s no need to feel sorry for Duke. They’ll finish28-3 or 27-4.”

Joe Lunardi has us playing Texas in the South. “ A lot of things will happen before the final day of bracketology. We were 58th or 60th in RPI. Now we’re up to 40th.”
Gomez asked “What’s an upset? JB said he didn’t know anymore. Kentucky should have lost two games, one on the road and one at home. “Miami got beat at home by eastern Kentucky by 26. That would be like us losing to Colgate or Cornell by 26. . The way Wake Forest played it was almost an upset that we won. We can play well and lose to a team we were favored to beat.”

A caller asked if Ron Patterson and BJ Johnson were good shooters in high school. JB said they were. He then asked if we’d recruited “the Greek kid”. JB said we had not. “He was not well known. There are 5,000 recruits each year. We had two scholarships and one of them was for an inside player. It went to Chris McCullough. We were almost positive Jerami was coming back and we were in good shape at the forward positon.” The caller then asked if Jim recruited abroad. No, he doesn’t recruit broads…err abroad. “Most of them sign professional contracts around 16-17 and then you can have them. Somebody will sign Mitoglou. We’ll see if he sticks it out in college. The thing that separates him is that he gets his shot off quick. I don’t know if a big guy has ever shot that well against us in the 40 years I’ve been here.” Didn’t Miami have a 6-10 guy about 10-12 years ago who hit a bunch of shots in the Dome against us because nobody who played on the perimeter could get up high enough to bother his shot?

The same caller asked who would win a shooting contest between the two Jim Boeheims? (Coach Jim or his namesake son who plays for Jamesville-Dewitt.) “It wouldn’t be close- I can’t shoot any more. But if I was practicing, I’d take him on.”

The first of three different John’s to call in started by saying “I love you to death” and JB said “Uh Oh!” This John apologized for bringing it up again but insisted that we should challenge the other team when they roll the ball up the court. He suggested that Cooney could take three steps forward and then get back. Jim insisted “We tired that against Villanova and they got past us. You save three seconds but they run right past you.” John kept pressing the issue and JB kept telling him that that’s what we did against Villanova. Finally John gave up on that and suggested that on the in-bounds play we should have thrown it long, saying that if it went out of bounds, Villanova would have to inbound at the other end of the court. JB pointed out that the ball would be taken back to the inbound point and Villanova would have it there. “We looked for the long pass but it was covered. Then they held Rakeem’s arm and he couldn’t do anything about it. You look at the ones we lost but not at the 10 close games we we’ve won this year and last. We put ourselves in positon to win. Sometimes you can do nothing wrong but lose because the other team did something right….Our best game of the year was at Villanova. It’s a shame the way we played at the end.”

I called in my second question but prefaced it by joking that maybe JB could go out and guard the guy when the ball is rolling, or on those long shots that are my pet peeve, the inbounds guy. He laughed and said “I may have to do that.” With him in a good mood, I asked my second question. “Firstly, DaJuan is not able to play this year. We aren’t reshirting him to save him to play next year. You have to apply for a medical redshirt. He’s been practicing but only some half court and a little full court. Secondly, he’s a center and we have a center, (laughs). I didn’t realize that we have a radio personality with a medical degree. . We expect DaJuan to be able to play next year. As to scholarships, they always work out. Somebody goes, somebody stays. We thought we’d have 12 guys this year. Instead, we’ve got 8.” Gomez asked if you can “unredshirt” a player. “Yes, you can. It’s mostly done in football when they’ve had injuries and need guys. When we redshirt someone it’s for a good reason. It wouldn’t be fair to wait 16 games and then use a guy’s redshirt year.” I’m wondering why DaJuan needs a medical reshirt- doesn’t each player get a redshirt year if he needs it? I thought medical redshirts were for a sixth year when you’ve already used a regular redshirt year.

The second John wanted to know if Tyler Cavanaugh could transfer back to Syracuse to play. “he’s at George Washington. You can’t transfer within the conference. He’s like a lot of big guys who needed a little time to mature and grow into his body.” This John said that BJ Johnson, Tyler Roberson and Ron Patterson, (“My Three Sons”, have to do a better job but that we “shouldn’t laugh at missed free throws because they are important.” JB agreed and said he’d made a comment about missed free throws because we missed so many of then again Virginia Tech. But “we make them when we have to. Against Wake Forest we made them and they missed them and that allowed us to win. That’s basketball.”

The two weird callers from last week called in a gain. Stefan in Utica, the one with the whiny, high-pitched voice asked if, with Chris McCullough down, did Jim talk to Tyler Roberson and Chinoso Obokoh about ‘stepping up’ in his absence? Unsurprisingly, the answer was “Yes. We can’t replace Chris but we have enough guys who can get the job done.”

The other was the third John, whose incoherent call last week seemed comical. This week, it raised some concerns. He started by saying “if somebody says to you….” But never finished that thought. He said that he was a 1983 graduate of Lafayette High School and went there with Dr. Gross’s secretary, Kelly. Then he said that Jim Boeheim had left 12 messages on his answering machine and begged him to stop. Gomez asked him if he had a question for the coach and John repeated the allegation that Coach Boeheim had left 12 messages on his answering machine and again begged him to stop. I heard a “Hmmm….” from Jim but he chose not to respond and Gomez asked their producer to “get your phone number and he’ll call you back.”

I don’t know what’s going on there but it sounded as if this John’s acquaintance with reality was limited and that he might have a delusion that Jim Boeheim is harassing him in some way. I hope they are looking to get John some help and determine if he might cause any trouble for Coach Boeheim. I certainly hope not.

The other was the third John, whose incoherent call last week seemed comical. This week, it raised some concerns. He started by saying “if somebody says to you….” But never finished that thought. He said that he was a 1983 graduate of Lafayette High School and went there with Dr. Gross’s secretary, Kelly. Then he said that Jim Boeheim had left 12 messages on his answering machine and begged him to stop. Gomez asked him if he had a question for the coach and John repeated the allegation that Coach Boeheim had left 12 messages on his answering machine and again begged him to stop. I heard a “Hmmm….” from Jim but he chose not to respond and Gomez asked their producer to “get your phone number and he’ll call you back.”

I don’t know what’s going on there but it sounded as if this John’s acquaintance with reality was limited and that he might have a delusion that Jim Boeheim is harassing him in some way. I hope they are looking to get John some help and determine if he might cause any trouble for Coach Boeheim. I certainly hope not.
:eek:

I'm surprised they even took the call. Doesn't the producer whomever, screen the calls to prevent crank, profane or crazy calls especially since this guy called last week? He never should have gotten through to JB. Hope they follow up that weirdness to determine if he's a threat to JB, Kelly etc or himself.

I'm surprised they even took the call. Doesn't the producer whomever, screen the calls to prevent crank, profane or crazy calls especially since this guy called last week? He never should have gotten through to JB. Hope they follow up that weirdness to determine if he's a threat to JB, Kelly etc or himself.

When I call in they ask who I am and usually what I want to ask about. Those questions should be enough to get someone like John rambling and show them he should not be on the show. In this case the reference to JB leaving calls on his answering machine should prompt them to call someone empowered to intervene in the situation and get John professional help. Deluded people have done some strange things over the years.

The two weird callers from last week called in a gain. Stefan in Utica, the one with the whiny, high-pitched voice asked if, with Chris McCullough down, did Jim talk to Tyler Roberson and Chinoso Obokoh about ‘stepping up’ in his absence?

Thats me man. sorry but its the voice i was given.

(just kidding, not really me)

Way back in the day, Dave Cohen had a radio talk show that was plagued with crank callers. I'm surprised they don't have better screening now.

two take aways. jimmy b is very anxious to see THE BIRDCAGE and apparently drunk dialing some dude named john.

Birdcage+051.jpg

"We're working hard with the others in practice to get them ready." There! A question answered that's been in the back and front of people's minds. Of course they're all working hard with BJ, Buss and Chino!

"Whiny" Stefan might have some kind of medical condition. Or, maybe he's trying to disguise his voice!

Bats**t Crazy John needs help, and I do hope they aggressively try to find out who he is and refer him for treatment. He may already be in treatment, but it is scary. Think of Jodi Foster and John Lennon, etc. BSC John has some paranoid delusions and they should never be taken lightly. At the very least, he should never be able to talk to Coach again.

Thank you again for another terrific write up!

"We're working hard with the others in practice to get them ready." There! A question answered that's been in the back and front of people's minds. Of course they're all working hard with BJ, Buss and Chino!

"Whiny" Stefan might have some kind of medical condition. Or, maybe he's trying to disguise his voice!

Bats**t Crazy John needs help, and I do hope they aggressively try to find out who he is and refer him for treatment. He may already be in treatment, but it is scary. Think of Jodi Foster and John Lennon, etc. BSC John has some paranoid delusions and they should never be taken lightly. At the very least, he should never be able to talk to Coach again.

Thank you again for another terrific write up!

BSC John?!? I like it...maybe I will change my log in to BSC AFO?!?...hmmmm...

two take aways. jimmy b is very anxious to see THE BIRDCAGE and apparently drunk dialing some dude named john.

Birdcage+051.jpg

Maybe he was trying to recruit him.

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

The first hour is eventually, (it can take weeks) podcasted on the SU Athletics website on this page:
http://suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx
(Update: the last podcast is a preview of the first Duke game from last year so maybe they have stopped podcasting the show. )

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

“Coach, we’ve been used to rooting for teams that look like they might win us another national championship. This team doesn’t look like that type of team but they are getting pretty fun to root for. They are starting to remind me of 1970’s era teams, especially our first Final Four team with Rudy Hackett cleaning up inside while Jimmy Lee bombing away from outside. What gives you the most pleasure: a team with minimal problems that achieves maximum glory or a team that overcomes its limitations and adversity to achieve more than you would have thought?”

Second hour:

“Coach, with the injury to Chris McCullough, who had bene playing back-up center, it’s been suggested that DaJuan Coleman’s redshirt should be reconsidered. On the other hand a local radio personality suggested on the air that there was no point in redshirting him, that we should have just “let his eligibility run out” because he’s never going to play for us with the guys we’ve got coming in. It’s also been suggested that we’ll need his scholarship to make room for one of them. What is the potential, if any, for DaJuan to help this year’s team and what is the potential for him to help us next year or the year afterwards?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

Coach was late for the show. And Matt Park filled the time by interviewing Wes Durham, long time ACC broadcaster. We saw that Virginia and Syracuse were tied atop the ACC standings at 4-0. “Two different 4-0s, but still 4-0. If you’re 4-0 in the ACC, you’ve done a good job.” He discussed various teams in the conference. Notre Dame is very good but always has close games with Georgia Tech. “They can always shoot but I’m really impressed with their passing.” NC State “is very talented.” Louisville and Duke “will be quite a backcourt battle. Chris Jones and Terry Rozier are playing as well together as any backcourt Rick Pitino has had. Clemson “has an outstanding freshman in Donte Grantham. Jaron Blossomgame is also very good. But Ron Hill is the key for them. If he plays well, Clemson plays well.”

Then the star of the show showed up, (I’m sure they were keeping the chicken marsala warm). Wake forest “was a great game for both teams. We played well on offense. They got two half-court shots and almost three. A kid who’s been scoring nothing got 26. The defense struggled- we’ll have games like that. Being down 9 is not fun. Wake Forest had late leads against Duke and Louisville and beat Georgia tech. We missed a lot of 2 point shots, a lot of shots we need to make. “

Later Gomez asked about the game, too. JB: “It was an exciting, great game. Wake Forest pretty much had it under control until we got some good steals, some big shots and some really good plays at the end Mike had a great drive at the end of regulation. Nobody challenged him but it rimmed out. . A 27% three point shooter made 2 of 3 half court shots. An 0 for 7 guy made a three. I’ve never seen one guy make two half-court shots in the same game.”

“Wake Forest made so many outside shots they didn’t go to Thomas. That helped us because it kept Rak out of foul trouble. “ What’s the plan when he gets into foul trouble? JB, (kidding): “We don’t have a plan….Chino is the back-up center. Rak has learned tout of foul trouble and to stay in games when he’s in it.”
“We can’t keep going with three guys. We’re working hard with the others in practice to get them ready. We need to improve the perimeter and get the other guys ready”

Matt mentioned “Konstantinos Mitoglou” and Jim said “Oh Ho! He made quick shots. We got on him a few times and he still made them. I can’t think of a big who shot the ball like that against us.” He noted that Rakeem’s 35 points was the most by an SU player in 7 years. “Danny Manning was a great player. His defense struggles because he’s got a young team. He’s got good shooters. It was a good win.”

Matt asked about playing without Chris McCullough. “It’s tough to lose Chris. He was working hard and getting comfortable with what he could do in college. We’ve had two torn ACLs- Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins and both came back with the knee stronger than before because of all the work they did.

Jim in Central Square got the first call in this time and said that he’s the guy that drives the team bus to the airport He was angry that Rakeem Christmas wasn’t nominated for the Wooden award. Jim was puzzled by it himself. “Four games in, he’s the best player in the ACC. They must not be paying attention. I’m in the USA Today, (coaches) poll. I watch every game every week. It’s absolutely ridiculous.”

Tom in Mohawk asked about our four recruits, all of whom have been nominated for the McDonald’s All-American game. Jim: “They’re all good, high-level players. Our numbers are down and we needed an influx of players. You never know how freshmen will work out. I thought we’d have too many guys. The Ennis and Grant left and Coleman and McCullough got hurt.”

Matt read a question from off of twitter: Why does he prefer Ronnie Patterson to Kaleb Joseph? “You never know. I have to watch the game and see who’s effective and who is not. Kaleb had a very good practice today, very aggressive. Ronnie is a bigger, stronger defender.”

Another twitter fans wanted to know if ACC coaches complain about the weather in Syracuse. “Not as long as it’s OK in the Carrier Dome”.

I finally called in my first question. “I like both. I like to accomplish as much as you can. There’s no limit on what a team can do. It’s good to have a really good team but sometimes you have a team that hangs in there and wins. Over time we’ve had strong teams, young teams, good offensive and good defensive teams, everything. You want to get the most out of each team.” He suggested that “With Arinze we might have had a Final Four team or even won it all. Losing Fab was a blow. Now we lose Chris when he was getting back on track. His size and length will be difficult to replace.” Coach alter said that this team doesn’t remind him of other teams. I think he views every team as a different set of problems to solve.

Matt turned the discussion to Clemson, who lost their great player form last year, K. J. Daniels. They just got badly beaten by Virginia but “Nobody’s going to do much against Virginia. They’re clearly the best team in the league and maybe in the country. They might be better than last year. No one guy stars for them. Their point guard makes no mistakes. Their big guy is good. They have guys coming off the bench. They are dominating people who are heard to dominate. Clemson didn’t have one double-figure scorer against them. For Clemson, Hall is a tremendous point guard. Their big guys are getting better they won at Pitt. Clemson is a tough place to play.”

Matt asked about the upcoming Louisville-Duke game. “Duke is very good but very young. Miami is playing really well. They dominated the game. The conference has good balance. Georgia tech has lost four games by ‘nothing’. Duke struggles on the defensive end. The Louisville guards are very difficult to play against.” Matt noted that the Boston College-Virginia game ill be on at the same time but maybe SU fans can “zap” back and forth between them to scout four future opponents. (Duke-Louisville is on at Noon on ESPN, Boston College- Virginia at 2PM on “Full Court” or ESPN3 and the SU-Clemson game at 4PM, Channel 3 in Syracuse: NC State and Florida State are also on Full Court/ESPN 3 at 1:30 and Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh is at the same source at 4PM.) JB marveled that we now have “30 games a day” to watch. Does he really watch all of them?!?

Brad in Liverpool wonder if Duke was just having bad luck or did teams find a weakness in them. JB: “They’re young. It’s a tough conference. NC State and Miami have great guards. They had a tough time with Wake Forest. They will have to play really well at Louisville. Their three best players are freshmen. They’ll get through it. There’s no need to feel sorry for Duke. They’ll finish28-3 or 27-4.”

Joe Lunardi has us playing Texas in the South. “ A lot of things will happen before the final day of bracketology. We were 58th or 60th in RPI. Now we’re up to 40th.”
Gomez asked “What’s an upset? JB said he didn’t know anymore. Kentucky should have lost two games, one on the road and one at home. “Miami got beat at home by eastern Kentucky by 26. That would be like us losing to Colgate or Cornell by 26. . The way Wake Forest played it was almost an upset that we won. We can play well and lose to a team we were favored to beat.”

A caller asked if Ron Patterson and BJ Johnson were good shooters in high school. JB said they were. He then asked if we’d recruited “the Greek kid”. JB said we had not. “He was not well known. There are 5,000 recruits each year. We had two scholarships and one of them was for an inside player. It went to Chris McCullough. We were almost positive Jerami was coming back and we were in good shape at the forward positon.” The caller then asked if Jim recruited abroad. No, he doesn’t recruit broads…err abroad. “Most of them sign professional contracts around 16-17 and then you can have them. Somebody will sign Mitoglou. We’ll see if he sticks it out in college. The thing that separates him is that he gets his shot off quick. I don’t know if a big guy has ever shot that well against us in the 40 years I’ve been here.” Didn’t Miami have a 6-10 guy about 10-12 years ago who hit a bunch of shots in the Dome against us because nobody who played on the perimeter could get up high enough to bother his shot?

The same caller asked who would win a shooting contest between the two Jim Boeheims? (Coach Jim or his namesake son who plays for Jamesville-Dewitt.) “It wouldn’t be close- I can’t shoot any more. But if I was practicing, I’d take him on.”

The first of three different John’s to call in started by saying “I love you to death” and JB said “Uh Oh!” This John apologized for bringing it up again but insisted that we should challenge the other team when they roll the ball up the court. He suggested that Cooney could take three steps forward and then get back. Jim insisted “We tired that against Villanova and they got past us. You save three seconds but they run right past you.” John kept pressing the issue and JB kept telling him that that’s what we did against Villanova. Finally John gave up on that and suggested that on the in-bounds play we should have thrown it long, saying that if it went out of bounds, Villanova would have to inbound at the other end of the court. JB pointed out that the ball would be taken back to the inbound point and Villanova would have it there. “We looked for the long pass but it was covered. Then they held Rakeem’s arm and he couldn’t do anything about it. You look at the ones we lost but not at the 10 close games we we’ve won this year and last. We put ourselves in positon to win. Sometimes you can do nothing wrong but lose because the other team did something right….Our best game of the year was at Villanova. It’s a shame the way we played at the end.”

I called in my second question but prefaced it by joking that maybe JB could go out and guard the guy when the ball is rolling, or on those long shots that are my pet peeve, the inbounds guy. He laughed and said “I may have to do that.” With him in a good mood, I asked my second question. “Firstly, DaJuan is not able to play this year. We aren’t reshirting him to save him to play next year. You have to apply for a medical redshirt. He’s been practicing but only some half court and a little full court. Secondly, he’s a center and we have a center, (laughs). I didn’t realize that we have a radio personality with a medical degree. . We expect DaJuan to be able to play next year. As to scholarships, they always work out. Somebody goes, somebody stays. We thought we’d have 12 guys this year. Instead, we’ve got 8.” Gomez asked if you can “unredshirt” a player. “Yes, you can. It’s mostly done in football when they’ve had injuries and need guys. When we redshirt someone it’s for a good reason. It wouldn’t be fair to wait 16 games and then use a guy’s redshirt year.” I’m wondering why DaJuan needs a medical reshirt- doesn’t each player get a redshirt year if he needs it? I thought medical redshirts were for a sixth year when you’ve already used a regular redshirt year.

The second John wanted to know if Tyler Cavanaugh could transfer back to Syracuse to play. “he’s at George Washington. You can’t transfer within the conference. He’s like a lot of big guys who needed a little time to mature and grow into his body.” This John said that BJ Johnson, Tyler Roberson and Ron Patterson, (“My Three Sons”, have to do a better job but that we “shouldn’t laugh at missed free throws because they are important.” JB agreed and said he’d made a comment about missed free throws because we missed so many of then again Virginia Tech. But “we make them when we have to. Against Wake Forest we made them and they missed them and that allowed us to win. That’s basketball.”

The two weird callers from last week called in a gain. Stefan in Utica, the one with the whiny, high-pitched voice asked if, with Chris McCullough down, did Jim talk to Tyler Roberson and Chinoso Obokoh about ‘stepping up’ in his absence? Unsurprisingly, the answer was “Yes. We can’t replace Chris but we have enough guys who can get the job done.”

The only thing that really bothers me about this is that John is a ncaa investigator.

Birdcage+051.jpg

(gomez tried to correct JB a couple times saying "bird man"

Carmelo Anthony played “his first game of 2015” scoring 25 points in London but the Knicks lost by 26 for their 16th defeat in a row. “There’s not going to win too many games this season.” Will there ever be an NBA franchise in London? “No. (the reception broke up for a moment here)…too much travel. Imagine you’ve come from LA to London for a game and now you have to go back to LA. It would be brutal. Besides they don’t want European pro basketball to suffer.

The Cleveland Cavaliers “will get going. They are not a great team. They need LeBron playing. They will be a factor in the playoffs. “

Heidi called in and asked about Jim’s favorite reading material. He mentioned in an earlier show that he likes Daniel Silva and Patricia Cornwall. Does he like Emily Griffith? He’s a huge fan, especially the last one about the football coach. Emily went to Wake Forest and was a student manager for the basketball team there. . Heidi asked if Jim hands out books to his players to read, as Phil Jackson does. No he doesn’t. “They have enough to read with their course work.” They’ve lost 16 in a row so I don’t think they are reading those books. About Phil’s books: “Zen works if you have good players.”

Al in Clay said that basketball is a “faster, more physical game than it used to be”. He wondered if there should be an increase in the number of fouls allowed? (I’d agree that it’s more physical but is it ‘faster’?) JB: I like it but it didn’t work when the Big East tried it years ago. There were more fouls. I’d like to see them widen the lane and have a shorter shot clock.”

What did the coach think of the college football playoff? “It was good college football. Ohio State is really good. They have three top flight quarterbacks and plenty of young players. They will be even better next year.”

“I don’t think that kid, (Jones) will start He played only those three games and may or may not get playing time. He needs more time in college. He’d be eaten alive in the NFL.” Matt noted that Dion Waiters never started but was a fourth overall draft choice. “Ohio State is so good they could probably give time to more than one quarterback. But not three guys.”

What about Marcus Mariotta in the NFL? “Look at guys like Manuel, griffin and even Cam Newton who have struggled. Mariotta runs around. Can he make those throws. NFL quarterbacks are not running quarterbacks. You’ve got some big people coming after you. 320 pounds up front with agility. 260 pound linebackers with speed. One hit and you’re out.”

“Ohio State is pretty good but if they’d beaten Wisconsin by a normal score they wouldn’t have gone. TCU would be in instead. They don’t need 16 but they need to go to 8. That would cover everybody with a legitimate chance to win.” He’s not worried about the number of games.” Only two teams play that last game and they wouldn’t trade the extra practice session and recognition they get to have played fewer games. If they are really worried about the number of games played, they’d shorted the regular season. They will go to 8. They’ll insist they won’t but they will.”

He likes the Patriots over the Colts at home. “Brady’s still in his prime. They have the bets coach in football- maybe ever. But Seattle is pretty good- I think they’ll repeat. “

What does Coach think of the plans to speed up baseball? They are planning to put limitations on how long pitchers have to pitch in Triple A and Double A next year. Jim’s in favor. “It’s something you need to do”. But will they do it? I came across this from Keith Olbermann:
Apparenlty there is already a 12 second rule in place. It’s just never been enforced.

Has Jim seen any movies this season? He usually sees them in hotels because his kids aren’t interested. He’s not seen anything that got nominated. This is where he mentioned “Birdcage”. I guess we can be glad he votes in the USA Today poll for college basketball teams and not the Oscars.

John called into "Upon Further Review" this afternoon. It was similar to his call to last week's Boeheim show, which i summarized thusly:

John in Syracuse called twice and wasn’t coherent on either occasion, saying “I bark but don’t bite.” He said he was proud of Jim and “I don’t want to cause him to get sick”. Then he started talking about how somebody took apart his cellphone. He closed by apologizing for “asking a stupid question about Justin Pugh” at one of Doug Marrone’s luncheons. JB asked if there was a question for him in there. Matt said he was “afraid of what’s coming next” and “you’d have get really into it to understand it.” Later John called back and apologized for the first call, saying that he was “kind of shy”. He did have a question “between just you and me and nobody else”. He urged the coach to “have guys do something positive on both ends of the floor- offense and defense” and “be ready when their number is called”. JB: “You got it John…You never know what to expect at Delmonico’s”.

I called in and told them that John had called Boeheim's show and they played a clip of last night's misadventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom