The Jim Boeheim Show - before Duke | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Duke

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskBoeheim?src=hashtag_click

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Congratulations on a great win, coach, and on moving from #98 to #95 in the Net rankings, (and then slipping back to #97 without playing a game). We’ve certainly seen a lot of exciting games this year, even if we haven’t been able to win all of them.

In our last two games, (both wins), our starters have scored 147 of 151 points. Does that mean that the gap between the starters and the back-ups have grown such that you will be sticking with your starters as long as you can in these games we have to win to have a chance at the NCAA tournament?”

For the Gomez segment:

“Coach, Joe Girard, while much underrated by a lot of people, seems to be pretty close to the best basketball player he’s going to be. Jesse Edwards, as productive as he is, still needs to get stronger and work on those post moves. It seems like Jesse would benefit more from another year here but Joe seems heavily into his NIL while Jesse is barred from it. Will there be a tendency to lose foreign players, who have often been playing the game for a shorter period of time, due to the absence of NIL?”

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.

I’ve decided to make things easier on myself and record JB’s response to my questions and comments the night of the broadcast and other things that were discussed whenever I finish transcribing them, which is not going to be 1 O’Clock in the morning anymore.)

PART 1

On question #1, Jim said that he “takes it game by game. Two games ago Justin was really good. Chris was going good, (in the NC State game). He had 8 points in the first half and hit a three early in the second. I thought maybe he could hit a few more. You don’t know. Justin might hit a couple in the next game. We tried to get Benny in there. Symir has been good but these are (likely to be) one point games. It’s hard to get going coming off the bench. If you look at it – and I know you have – most teams play 6-7 guys. NC State had to play more because Burns was in foul trouble. You’ve got to see who’s playing well and what we need to do to win.”

On Question #2, Jim said that foreign players can make money if they get visas “and Jesse could do that, too. People thought Joe peaked last year but he got better this year. Next year he’d be better again because he got older….I don’t know what anybody’s going to do. You just don’t know. Who would ever have thought Quincy would leave and wind up not starting? Buddy could have come back but he felt four years was enough. Cole Swider was back and forth on it. I think it was good that he left because he got a two-way contract from the Lakers. We’ve already gotten several calls from players who would like to transfer here. It’s a transfer world. Where would NC State without Burns and Joiner? The top of the league has proven to be good. They brought in 3-4 seniors instead of freshmen. We knew we were going to lose those guys and had 6 freshmen. It’s hard to play freshmen. We’re doing the best we can.

I made an old suggestion and was surprised it was taken seriously: Allow guys who jumped to the pros with eligibility left to come back to school, get their degrees and play for the college team. “Maybe someday. It would make the college game better. Here are probably 40-50 guys who wish they’d stayed in college. If they could come back and make some money, (through NIL) they might do it. I think that will happen down the road. It was first proposed 10-15 years ago. [That pre-dates my suggestion so maybe I wasn’t that crazy.] They let tennis players do it.”

On Twitch I asked why the ACC isn’t what it used to be. “It slipped a bit. Duke and North Carolina are struggling. The bottom is weaker. But last year we led the country in NCAA wins with 11. The Big 10 hasn’t won a championship since the 2000’s.” [2000, in fact: Michigan State. Maryland won in 2002 but as an ACC team.]

Can’t wait to hear about the transfer speculation.

Can't we just clone JB's phone and check all his incoming calls.

il_794xN.3394077977_f2kz.jpg

I guess I can skip this part tomorrow.

(Do people expect coaches to be prefectly normal?)

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskBoeheim?src=hashtag_click

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Congratulations on a great win, coach, and on moving from #98 to #95 in the Net rankings, (and then slipping back to #97 without playing a game). We’ve certainly seen a lot of exciting games this year, even if we haven’t been able to win all of them.

In our last two games, (both wins), our starters have scored 147 of 151 points. Does that mean that the gap between the starters and the back-ups have grown such that you will be sticking with your starters as long as you can in these games we have to win to have a chance at the NCAA tournament?”

For the Gomez segment:

“Coach, Joe Girard, while much underrated by a lot of people, seems to be pretty close to the best basketball player he’s going to be. Jesse Edwards, as productive as he is, still needs to get stronger and work on those post moves. It seems like Jesse would benefit more from another year here but Joe seems heavily into his NIL while Jesse is barred from it. Will there be a tendency to lose foreign players, who have often been playing the game for a shorter period of time, due to the absence of NIL?”

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.

I’ve decided to make things easier on myself and record JB’s response to my questions and comments the night of the broadcast and other things that were discussed whenever I finish transcribing them, which is not going to be 1 O’Clock in the morning anymore.)

PART 1

On question #1, Jim said that he “takes it game by game. Two games ago Justin was really good. Chris was going good, (in the NC State game). He had 8 points in the first half and hit a three early in the second. I thought maybe he could hit a few more. You don’t know. Justin might hit a couple in the next game. We tried to get Benny in there. Symir has been good but these are (likely to be) one point games. It’s hard to get going coming off the bench. If you look at it – and I know you have – most teams play 6-7 guys. NC State had to play more because Burns was in foul trouble. You’ve got to see who’s playing well and what we need to do to win.”

On Question #2, Jim said that foreign players can make money if they get visas “and Jesse could do that, too. People thought Joe peaked last year but he got better this year. Next year he’d be better again because he got older….I don’t know what anybody’s going to do. You just don’t know. Who would ever have thought Quincy would leave and wind up not starting? Buddy could have come back but he felt four years was enough. Cole Swider was back and forth on it. I think it was good that he left because he got a two-way contract from the Lakers. We’ve already gotten several calls from players who would like to transfer here. It’s a transfer world. Where would NC State without Burns and Joiner? The top of the league has proven to be good. They brought in 3-4 seniors instead of freshmen. We knew we were going to lose those guys and had 6 freshmen. It’s hard to play freshmen. We’re doing the best we can.

I made an old suggestion and was surprised it was taken seriously: Allow guys who jumped to the pros with eligibility left to come back to school, get their degrees and play for the college team. “Maybe someday. It would make the college game better. Here are probably 40-50 guys who wish they’d stayed in college. If they could come back and make some money, (through NIL) they might do it. I think that will happen down the road. It was first proposed 10-15 years ago. [That pre-dates my suggestion so maybe I wasn’t that crazy.] They let tennis players do it.”

On Twitch I asked why the ACC isn’t what it used to be. “It slipped a bit. Duke and North Carolina are struggling. The bottom is weaker. But last year we led the country in NCAA wins with 11. The Big 10 hasn’t won a championship since the 2000’s.” [2000, in fact: Michigan State. Maryland won in 2002 but as an ACC team.]
He is not-so-subtly lobbying to coach next year/forever with such answers.

I guess I can skip this part tomorrow.

(Do people expect coaches to be prefectly normal?)
That's a lot of great content. Although I would like to hear a follow up on if he took money from MJ either on the golf course or at the card table.

Could see JJ Starling and Andre Jackson transferring in here. Someone said in the CuseSportsTalk chat that JJ’s family has spoken to him about coming home since Brey left. Apparently Jackson is fed up with Hurley(shocking I know).
Well we have the….“At least we don’t have Hurley coaching us” advantage now. Gotta take the wins whenever they are.

Meh. I have mixed feelings about adding athletes that can’t score.
JJ averages 12 ppg and 30% from 3. I'm guessing he takes a big leap based on his athleticism alone. I'd rather Judah stays a second year, but if he leaves JJ Starling is a great option.

Could see JJ Starling and Andre Jackson transferring in here. Someone said in the CuseSportsTalk chat that JJ’s family has spoken to him about coming home since Brey left. Apparently Jackson is fed up with Hurley(shocking I know).
Notre Dame is losing their coach and just about all their middle-age starters. Would be a good option if Judah leaves. Any other details? I was under the impression his family always wanted him to play for Cuse but he didn't want to stay home. Wondering if that will change next year.

Notre Dame is losing their coach and just about all their middle-age starters. Would be a good option if Judah leaves. Any other details? I was under the impression his family always wanted him to play for Cuse but he didn't want to stay home. Wondering if that will change next year.
Especially since most "experts" had him rated higher than Judah. Hopefully JJ would do as well as Judah has with the ball in his hands.

Especially since most "experts" had him rated higher than Judah. Hopefully JJ would do as well as Judah has with the ball in his hands.
We can hope. He's had a pretty lousy freshmen season for being a McDonalds All American. Judah is the better player by far.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the route we go, but hard to get excited about a guy who gets toasted on defense, shoot's 30% from 3 and has more turnovers than assists.

Agree, id pass on Jackson and take Starling depending on what Judah and Joe do. Probably going to need to replace that backcourt scoring due to losing 1 or both of them.

Might as well add in:

Kamari Lands College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

No thank you to Jackson. He can’t shoot a lick. All he would do is help clog up the middle of the lane. You can’t play him and Brown together.
If Andre Jackson was on this team, I would start him over Maliq Brown at the 4 and have him play the Dole role (play making 4 who is good defensively)

Might as well add in:

Kamari Lands College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I will say, Pitt should be damn good next year with Dior there with a half of a season of practice.

I will say, Pitt should be damn good next year with Dior there with a half of a season of practice.
Dior may be there next year, but how many of the rest of their players will be? I have read that they are the oldest roster in the country.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom