The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgetown | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgetown

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, I’d like to clarify something. Last week you said we had adequate depth because we normally only play 8 guys and use 3 guards. You also said that you had full confidence in Howard Washington. Then, in the Colgate game, you played Frank Howard and Tyus Battle for 40 minutes and said after the game that that Washington couldn’t play more because our three guard offense weakens our defense and rebounding too much. Is the three guard strategy the only time we will see Howard or could he be used to give Frank or Tyus a rest so they wouldn’t’ have to play 40 minutes a game?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(They haven’t begun the two hour shows yet. That will probably come after the first of the year.)

Coach: “People complain about Georgetown’s schedule but the real question is: Are they a good team? They are. It will be a tough game. They have good perimeter shooting and are good inside.

Liam in Pompey wanted the coach’s “take on Georgetown who hasn’t played anybody- no shocking wins. But the rivalry continues.” Jim: “They have very solid players. It doesn’t matter who they play. They are playing well, playing together and doing what they need to do to win.”

Marty in Ithaca asked if we would have “improved free throw shooting and a height advantage against Georgetown”. Matt asked if Georgetown’s free throw defense was week. JB said “we’re going to get some shots and make them. it will be a good game. They are a good team. We are just trying to get better that’s what’s important.”

I finally got someone to answer the phone on the third attempt and asked my question. Jim smelled blood and went right at the “fatigue” issue: “We get a 2 ½ minute rest every 4 minutes. In the old days when you went 20 minutes without interruption, you needed a rest but with TV time outs, everyone should be in shape to play 40 minutes. Howard will play in some games where we are suing the 3 guard line-up. He works hard every day and is very capable. If Frank and Tyus are playing well, they will be in there the vast majority of the time. We usually don’t have foul trouble in the back court. Frank and Tyus are way farther along and tremendous players. Tyus is as good as anybody in the country and Frank is very good, too. I worry more about the front line. but we are fine there.“ Matt said “it’s hard to take them, (Frank and Tyus) out. JB: “Matt and Marek are similar although they do different things. There’s a big drop-off when Tyus comes out. A lot of teams play only 7 guys. That’s where we are. Even teams that play 8-9, the last two guys only play 2 minutes.“

Bourama Sidibie “is practicing. He looks better. He gives us something nobody else does. He has a good feel for the game and knows where to get the ball.”

Psst…. Patrick Ewing’s middle name is “Aloysius”. Don’t tell anyone. The show had two trivia questions for which they gave away free tickets. The first one was: What movie was #1 at the box office the one time we beat Georgetown when they were ranked #1? (Answer: Beverly Hills Cop.)

Pat called to say that he still hates Georgetown and doesn’t understand why people think the rivalry has lost its luster. He wondered what the coach’s perspective was. He also had “no idea about this team. Have they changed their approach on offense or defense?” JB: “There’s been so many great Georgetown games – it’s hard to pick one Patrick Ewing was the #1 recruit in the country and you knew whoever got him was going to dominate for four years. He didn’t score a lot. He never got the ball much with Jackson, Williams and Wingate but he was a terror on the boards. We had to battle very hard against them.” Matt recalled the beginning of the 1982 national title game vs. North Carolina, where Ewing blocked the first 3-4 shots, although some of them were goaltending. “JB: “he did that on purpose.” (To intimidate the Tar Heels.)

“They’ve taken away the wrinkles and have a straightforward approach. They push up on defense. They try to get the ball to the big guy as good, (well) as anybody. They like to run….The game is not in the same league it used to be. It never is going to have the same value as when we were competing for championships. There’s no reason not to continue to play them. I think there’s still games left.” (This was a 4 year contract- this is the third year.) Matt mentioned that “they don’t do the Princeton stuff- like back door cuts- anymore.”

The Hoyas declined to go to a tournament that was ”full of power conference teams”:
Georgetown won't be participating in Nike's big PK80 tournament in November after all
JB: “It was a good decision not to go out there. I don’t care about their schedule. They are a good team.”

They talked about our next opponent, Buffalo, (Tuesday). “They are very good and are getting a Missouri transfer who could be their best player. It’s a few days after the end of the semester.” (That would be guard Wes Clark.) Regarding both Buffalo and St. Bonaventure: “When they are good they all want to play us.”

Matt noted that Frank Howard had had “a good bounce-back game”. JB: “You’ll have good and bad games over the course of a long season.” Matt said that Matthew Moyer had such a game and was pulled after he made a mistake. That pressed the wrong button. JB: “He didn’t make ‘A’ mistake. This is the biggest misconception that people have – that I pull a player after he makes one mistake. When a player makes repeated mistakes or does something he’s been told not to, he’s coming out. Just making a turnover or missing s a shot – that means nothing. Sometimes fans don’t see that a player has made multiple mistakes. What is a player’s motivation going to be if you don’t take them out? “ Matt: “The bench is a great motivator.”

Jesse Govan of Georgetown” is 6-10 250. He shoots threes, scores from the foul line, has post moves and hooks. He’s one of the best big men in the game.” He’s averaging 20 points and 9 rebounds. (Actually 20.6 and 13.0.)

On Boston College’s win over the Duke” “They can really shoot. Hartford had them down by 6or 8 and Colgate had them down 17. But they hit 11 threes in the first half. Their guards are legit. I thought their backcourt was the best in the league last year. Chatman up front can score, too.“ Matt said it’s interesting to look at the ACC standings and see Boston College at the top and Duke at the bottom:
Atlantic Coast Conference Standings - College Basketball - ESPN

They discussed how the ACC will be switching to a 20 game schedule and that will necessitate playing league games in December and before Christmas. Two ACC teams are in action tonight. Note Dame is playing Indiana and Clemson is playing Florida. Clemson “is pretty good. They have good veteran players and are playing well. North Carolina, (ranked 7th) is better than people thought. Miami is top 5. They have size and veteran guys. Florida State is 9-0. They lost some 1st round picks and are still good. They always have players.”

There was a second trivia question: What Syracuse player scored the most in a game against Buffalo? Jim Boeheim said it wasn’t him. But he was present when it happened: Dave Bing scored 43 points against the Bulls on 12/4/65. Jim remembered when he and Dave combined for 56 points- Jim had 10 of them. (That would have been Vanderbilt 12/28/65). But he recalled their best game together. Jim had 27 points against Bowling Green. Jim thought Dave had 31 – or was it 34. The Media Guide, on page 1000 lists our all- time best scoring performances and Dave scored 38 against the Falcons on 12/13/65, a 106-89 SU win. Matt suggested they a might have more if there was a three point line. JB: “Dave’s range was 15-20 feet. I made 10-11 shots from outside, one of the rare times I was in ‘the zone’”. But Jim: You’re always in the zone!

Matt noted that the top two scoring performances against us were Calvin Murpjhy’s: 68 and 50. “I hope I never see a game where someone scores 68 points on us.” That’s two points short of tacos. . Jim: We also held him to his lowest point total ever. 11 points I think. We played a box and one and doubled him every time he got the ball.“ We also stalled and won the game, 50-49- in overtime. We lost the 68 point game 110-118, in regulation. They don’t make games like that anymore.

In closing they again discussed the Hoyas. Matt said that “they’ve got some young people handling the ball. “ Jim: They can score inside and out. They push the ball downcourt. They are a good all-around team. They have balance. They will get better as the season goes along. It doesn’t matter who they’ve played. They are winning easily.” On Buffalo and St. Bonaventure: “Our RPI isn’t bad. We are playing teams in the 100’s, not in the 300’s. They are playing teams that are in the mix. “

Again, thanks for doing these, SWC.

As for your question about Frank & Tyus playing 40 minutes each, you (and a lot of other fans) knew what his response would be before the question was asked. Touch his button, get that response.

Again, thanks for doing these, SWC.

As for your question about Frank & Tyus playing 40 minutes each, you (and a lot of other fans) knew what his response would be before the question was asked. Touch his button, get that response.

My real question was: is Howard Washington only going to play in a three guard line-up. I mentioned the 40 minutes only because that was an indication that he's really not their 'back-up'.

It sounds to me like HW will play if we go to a 3-guard lineup that JB says he doesn't like at all. The only way he's out there with just one of the guards is if one of them is in serious foul trouble.

One thing he said later in the interview that struck me as interesting: "When a player makes repeated mistakes or does something he’s been told not to, he’s coming out. Just making a turnover or missing s a shot – that means nothing. Sometimes fans don’t see that a player has made multiple mistakes. What is a player’s motivation going to be if you don’t take them out?" So my question is this: what is FH's motivation going to be if he knows he won't be taken out when he makes a bunch of mistakes? I get that JB is trying to instill confidence in FH but if he knows he's never going to be taken out due to subpar play...that could create a motivation issue for FH. FH played as poorly as a PG could play against UConn.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like HW will play if we go to a 3-guard lineup that JB says he doesn't like at all. The only way he's out there with just one of the guards is if one of them is in serious foul trouble.

One thing he said later in the interview that struck me as interesting: "When a player makes repeated mistakes or does something he’s been told not to, he’s coming out. Just making a turnover or missing s a shot – that means nothing. Sometimes fans don’t see that a player has made multiple mistakes. What is a player’s motivation going to be if you don’t take them out?" So my question is this: what is FH's motivation going to be if he knows he won't be taken out when he makes a bunch of mistakes? I get that JB is trying to instill confidence in FH but if he knows he's never going to be taken out due to subpar play...that could create a motivation for FH. FH played as poorly as a PG could play against UConn.

It's also contrary to the Boeheim Rationale for not benching players for off-court misdeeds. "That'd be wrong to the fans who come to see Michael Carter-Williams/Derrick Coleman/whoever play."

So the bench is a very selective motivator...

It's also contrary to the Boeheim Rationale for not benching players for off-court misdeeds. "That'd be wrong to the fans who come to see Michael Carter-Williams/Derrick Coleman/whoever play."

So the bench is a very selective motivator...
Yes, the standard is not just player motivation/bench. It's team needs + player motivation + bench = rotation decisions.

Yes, the standard is not just player motivation/bench. It's team needs + player motivation + bench = rotation decisions.

Maybe with a pinch of seniority. Just a pinch.

I'm not even trying to troll; I just can't think of a reason why sometimes a Kris Joseph can do all sorts of odd stuff and not earn a seat.

With Frank I think we can justify this: he's got a history of being fragile, he might not be a point guard but he's the closest we've got and we very badly need him to succeed, so he's going to play through some mistakes.

I'm not even trying to troll; I just can't think of a reason why sometimes a Kris Joseph can do all sorts of odd stuff and not earn a seat.

With Frank I think we can justify this: he's got a history of being fragile, he might not be a point guard but he's the closest we've got and we very badly need him to succeed, so he's going to play through some mistakes.
Ok, how's this:

team needs + {player motivation-senority}/2 = rotation
***********************bench

Yeah, I think you are right re: Frank. It’s more by default. For whatever reasons, the likelihood of HW ever actually subbing in for Frank specifically is slim to none. Therefore, there is nobody else compounded by the fact that he might be still fragile mentally and just can’t handle benchings/scoldings.

In hindsight, I think JB and the staff was really hoping that Geno didn’t have that injury and that he was better offensively. Geno was given opportunities and chances to play PG. Yes, Frank has improved but still has had some really alarming and dismal moments on the court. No major program in America or coach would keep a kid in with those kinds of turnovers happening, shaky handle, etc. In fact, it would be grounds to lose your job, IMO, considering his overall body of work and past. Nobody will convince me otherwise. Frank is safe from those consequences by default for better or worse.

Last edited:
Agree. Some respond to negative reinforcement, some do not.

JB has tried to bench him when he plays poorly. It has just made him play worse.

I think JB is doing the right thing playing Frank no matter what. It is the only way to get something out of him. All SU fans can do for the rest of this season is hope he plays well.

Glad to hear Boeheim thinks Georgetown belongs on future schedules.

"There's no reason not to play them" is not the same thing as they belong on our schedule.

The game is a money grab aimed at those filled with nostalgia who cannot see its a meaningless game in reality.

The game is a money grab ...

I'm sad to say you just described college basketball.

That understood, there's every additional reason to play Georgetown: recruiting, alumni, relative convenience for teams. Syracuse is a northeastern private that chose joining a bunch of southern state schools over staying put and dying on the vine. Fair enough. But every chance they get to play another northeastern private is a good thing. I'll take this over a Clemson or Florida State game 100 times out of a 100.

"There's no reason not to play them" is not the same thing as they belong on our schedule.

The game is a money grab aimed at those filled with nostalgia who cannot see its a meaningless game in reality.

Will you leave the leafy environs of Bethesda and go to the game?

Will you leave the leafy environs of Bethesda and go to the game?
Bayside;

I'm afraid I'm a far piece away from DC at the minute. A combination of poor planning and family commitments.

That understood, there's every additional reason to play Georgetown: recruiting, alumni, relative convenience for teams. Syracuse is a northeastern private that chose joining a bunch of southern state schools over staying put and dying on the vine. Fair enough. But every chance they get to play another northeastern private is a good thing. I'll take this over a Clemson or Florida State game 100 times out of a 100.

There are degrees of money grabbing. This game is a lot more obvious as a money grab than the average game. GU needs this game more than we do. That is, if you are aware of what their average attendance is in games in which the opponent is not named "Syracuse" or "Villanova".

We recruit well in the DC area and always have. Playing Georgetown --- a school that we rarely compete head-to-head with for players --- does little for that. Maryland would be a better choice for recruiting purposes.

So you want to play Northeastern Private schools? Well just about the whole Big East qualifies (Villanova, Seton Hall, and PC, especially) along with Temple, St Joes and LaSalle in Philly, all the Ivies, GW in DC.

I just think they are taking advantage of people who are stuck mentally in the 1980's and 1990's.

Except--

If you want to be in a P-5 conference as a private school, the ACC is by far your best choice.
Number of privates: SEC--1; B1G--1; Big XII--2; PAC-12--2; ACC--5.

There are degrees of money grabbing. This game is a lot more obvious as a money grab than the average game. GU needs this game more than we do. That is, if you are aware of what their average attendance is in games in which the opponent is not named "Syracuse" or "Villanova".

We recruit well in the DC area and always have. Playing Georgetown --- a school that we rarely compete head-to-head with for players --- does little for that. Maryland would be a better choice for recruiting purposes.

So you want to play Northeastern Private schools? Well just about the whole Big East qualifies (Villanova, Seton Hall, and PC, especially) along with Temple, St Joes and LaSalle in Philly, all the Ivies, GW in DC.

I just think they are taking advantage of people who are stuck mentally in the 1980's and 1990's.
Some exceptions--half of the BE is not in the Northeast. Temple is a state school.

It’s for the many, many alumni and fans who live in the DC, Va, Md area. If you ever attended a game down there , it’s more of a money grab for Georgetown than SU. SU fills the Verizon that Hoya fans sure don’t. I would bet that SU made more from the Colgate game than against G-town down there.

Did Boeheim really say that?

With his lack of concern about off court behavior, how much motivation do players have to behave themselves and not embarrass themselves, their team, the school and alumni who believe the school should stand for something besides wins?
After all, most are only in school to play basketball.

Did Boeheim really say that?

With his lack of concern about off court behavior, how much motivation do players have to behave themselves and not embarrass themselves, their team, the school and alumni who believe the school should stand for something besides wins?
After all, most are only in school to play basketball.

Never heard that one either. A link please, OttoMets.

Players have been sat out for things that JB has never made public too.

Agree. Some respond to negative reinforcement, some do not.

JB has tried to bench him when he plays poorly. It has just made him play worse.

I think JB is doing the right thing playing Frank no matter what. It is the only way to get something out of him. All SU fans can do for the rest of this season is hope he plays well.

Last season, JB did bench Frank -- because he had an option at PG who was better.

Not this season. JB has 3 players who can score. Frank is averaging 14.7 with 6 assists. JB is going to win or lose with Frank, Tyus and Oshae because those are his 3 best players. No one on the roster is even close.

It’s for the many, many alumni and fans who live in the DC, Va, Md area. If you ever attended a game down there , it’s more of a money grab for Georgetown than SU. SU fills the Verizon that Hoya fans sure don’t. I would bet that SU made more from the Colgate game than against G-town down there.

And the next year the GU v. SU game is at the Dome. And that game will probably outdraw any other opponent we might have. (Again, it's trading on nostalgia. All the articles I read are about the significance of the game in the 1980's)

I agree this is a big deal for GU. Their average attendance this year for eight games has been about 6,000. This game will triple that number.

They love it and they hate it. All those SU fans in the seats make it clear how unsuccessful they have been in creating any kind of local fan base. I hope we are driving a deal with them that recognizes this fact.

Never heard that one either. A link please, OttoMets.

Players have been sat out for things that JB has never made public too.

He said it a few weeks ago on his radio show. 3-4 weeks ago?

Yeah, I think you are right re: Frank. It’s more by default. For whatever reasons, the likelihood of HW ever actually subbing in for Frank specifically is slim to none. Therefore, there is nobody else compounded by the fact that he might be still fragile mentally and just can’t handle benchings/scoldings.

In hindsight, I think JB and the staff was really hoping that Geno didn’t have that injury and that he was better offensively. Geno was given opportunities and chances to play PG. Yes, Frank has improved but still has had some really alarming and dismal moments on the court. No major program in America or coach would keep a kid in with those kinds of turnovers happening, shaky handle, etc. In fact, it would be grounds to lose your job, IMO, considering his overall body of work and past. Nobody will convince me otherwise. Frank is safe from those consequences by default for better or worse.

One thing he said later in the interview that struck me as interesting: "When a player makes repeated mistakes or does something he’s been told not to, he’s coming out. Just making a turnover or missing s a shot – that means nothing. Sometimes fans don’t see that a player has made multiple mistakes. What is a player’s motivation going to be if you don’t take them out?" So my question is this: what is FH's motivation going to be if he knows he won't be taken out when he makes a bunch of mistakes? I get that JB is trying to instill confidence in FH but if he knows he's never going to be taken out due to subpar play...that could create a motivation issue for FH. FH played as poorly as a PG could play against UConn.

Both these posts are beautiful.

JB can spin his remarks any way he wants, he's the captain and has been at the helm for 40 + years, with tremendous success, etc. But, your highlighted remark is a perfect example of his coaching techniques in regards to players he chooses to take his frustrations out on, even if it may be unwarranted and meant for the true culprit. It's rather comical. It goes back years and years...DC would take this outside shot that JB of course didn't want him ever taking, and then pull and curse out Seikaly for not being in position for the rebound... ;):)

JB clearly feels that the drop off after Frank is substantial enough to where he feels they can't win, otherwise, Washington would get more run. 100% in agreement that Frank is safe by default, and, he knows it and is very, very fortunate that JB and co. have missed out so badly on point guards over the past few years since Ennis' departure.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom