The Jim Boeheim Show- before Miami | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Miami

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, could you summarize the injuries your players are currently dealing with and how they are affecting their game? I’m specifically thinking about Frank Howard’s wrapped hand and his free throw problems.”

Second Hour:

“Coach, isn’t it about time a black or white line was pit through the “S” decal at the center of the court so the midcourt line could be easily seen? Last night there was a clear over and back violation that wasn’t called. Court decorations should not impact the game.“

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(They are now doing two hour shows. The second hour is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. There are three musical interludes, one every 20 minutes, so if you tune in at 8PM it’s going to sound as if the Boeheim show has ended but stick with it. As last year, the night of the show I will post comments relating directly to the SU basketball team. I’ll post “Part 2” on Friday, which will contain other topics that were discussed. )

The win over Wake Forest “doesn’t move the bubble” according to JB, (or the needle?). “The teams coming up can help you. A win or two could put us in good shape. Last year our non-conference schedule was not good. This year it’s #17 in the country and we have road wins. We are in way better positon than last year when we narrowly missed being in the tournament. Also some of the bubble teams are ranked 280th, 300th in the non-conference schedule. The committee has not liked that in the past. There are 11-12 ACC teams that are good enough but some of them have 5-8 conference records and had a bad non-conference schedule. They aren’t all getting in. ..The league was better last eyar and we went 10-8. It was the early losses that kept us out.”

Later they discussed “quadrants” “It’s still based on RPI. They give you a little more credit for road wins. If you don’t do something they can ask: Is your team good enough to do well in the tournament?”

Jim said that some “outside observer, not involved with the program” had told him “You’re in every game. Some teams get beat by 30. You’ve had a legitimate chance to win in every loss except Virginia. Your team battles hard.” Jim said “Our offense is better. Our defense has taken a step backward. But we’ve been playing some good shooting teams.”

Liam in Pompey called in and began talking about how we’ve had close but interesting games and “this team grinds it out.” For the second straight week JB interrupted him to ask “Liam: Is there a question in there?” Liam then asked about our free throw shooting. JB: “There’s no question you want to make them. It’s always disappointing to miss them late in a game. We are 3rd or 4th in free throw percentage in league games, (Matt looked it up: 4th). We were #2 for a long time before these last 2-3 games. It’s flipped a little bit.“

I called in my question about the injuries but I first acknowledged the continuation of the now 48 year streak of winning seasons. JB: “it’s consistency over a long time. This year put us in a situation with the defections and injuries. The guys have been tough. Bourama, Oshae, Marek, Frank and Matthew are all playing hurt. That’s 5 of our 7 players. Ideally you’d like 9-10 players. 7 is enough, but you need two centers. Next year we’ll have at least 10, maybe 9.”

As to the injuries, he didn’t think Frank’s wrapped hand affected his free throw shooting. “Matt played well. He was more mobile today than he has bene- I don’t know why. Sprains are difficult. We’ve had guys who played the next day. It’s unusual to miss a game and then play well in the next game. His parents were just being cautious and I get that. His mother said that Matt had played with a broken bone in high school. But his ankle wasn’t broken. I never tell a player he should go play….Oshae and Marek were hurting today. We’ve had an injury bug. We haven’t lost a player for the year in a long time, probably back to Andy Rautins and Eric Devendorf.” Matt reminded him of Chris McCullough.

Josh in Colorado praised NC State for being “real patient. We were up 7-10 but they stuck to the game plan.” He remembered last year’s loss to Miami in the ACC tournament. “How do we get Miami off our backs?” JB remembered “We needed that win due to our bad start. The Georgetown and Connecticut games hurt us.” (So did the St. John’s debacle). “Miami is very talents, athletic and quick. They have a lot of players and are a really physical team.” Matt noted that they’d lost by 9 to Virginia. JB: “Everybody loses by 9 to Virginia.”

“NC State had a freshman who hadn’t scored (Sam Hunt, scoreless in three of previous four games) and he made 4 threes. Then they got a three form a player who hadn’t been making very many threes, (Markell Johnson, who has been shooting 43% from the arc on the year but only averages 2.6 attempts per game). We didn’t want to leave them open but you’ve still got to make them- and they did….we are playing better on offense but not on defense. That’s how you get a loss instead of a win.”

Bob in Baldwinsville “wouldn’t want to be in your shoes, considering what’s confronting you”. He wanted to know “What’s the one thing you could do that your opponents would never expect you to do?” JB: “We’ve changed our offense. We use more movement, more dribble drive. We are now shooting 50% instead of 35%. We’ve pressed some but depth is too limited to allow us to press when we are playing 3 games in a week. We’ll keep battling.” Bob offered his prayers. Matt wondered “Do you need prayers?” JB: “we’ll take them.”

Matt asked about the buzzer beaters in the last three games at the end of the half. JB: “We had perfect positon each time. They made two shots from just inside half-court and scored on a tough drive. What are you going to do?”

Someone mentioned the officiating. JB: “You can’t worry about the whistles. Just play the game. The flow of the game was fine. Both teams shot over 50%. You just have to adjust to the way the game was called.” What happened with the double technicals? “The guy put his hand on Frank. Frank showed him and the guys shoved back. You can’t do that.”

What stats does Jim look for in the box score? “Turnovers, rebounds, shooting percentages. Offensive and defensive field goal percentages are important. 2’s vs. 3’s are important. We couldn’t overcome the way we played the three point line.”

I called in my suggestion about the decal. JB: “I think they should be able to see it. The referee was right on the line and should have been able to see it. They didn’t score on that possession.” JB talked about the decal with Gomez and said that he doesn’t believe the line goes through the area on the floor between the lines of the orange “S”. He's right. although the uncalled violaiton took place on the S itself:
upload_2018-2-15_23-51-28.png

Pat called in and said our defense has been solid but we are giving up three pointers late in the game. We are in the national top 10 against two point shots but 96th against three pointers. He wondered if we could extend our defense in those situations. Jim said “we ran way out against Wake. They went inside, threw it out of bounds, had a shot blocked and missed two others. When NC State went inside they didn’t score so they stuck with the threes. Part of it was our rotations. Part of it was 2-3 times when our forwards stopped and turned around to go back inside. It was enough to cost us the game. On that last one (Johnson) reset it in his hands and still made it. Wake’s three pointers were from way out. State’s were conventional. It reminded me more of the first game against Wake down there and the Florida State game.“

“NC State is a good team. They’ve beaten good teams. They are not a great three point team – but they made them. Most of our losses have come down to the last shot. The good news is that we’ve got a tough schedule, (and we can get the wins we need). The bad news is we’ve got a tough schedule.”

I'm concerned he said that next year we will have at least 10, maybe 9 players. We can have up to 12. Does that mean he thinks someone other than Tyus is leaving and that we won't be adding another center? If we have that few, I guess he learned nothing from this year. Injuries and defections happen.

I'm concerned he said that next year we will have at least 10, maybe 9 players. We can have up to 12. Does that mean he thinks someone other than Tyus is leaving and that we won't be adding another center? If we have that few, I guess he learned nothing from this year. Injuries and defections happen.

Was he talking rotation, or entire group of scholarship players?

An SU rotation of 10???

Only happened twice [well, at least 9] -- 2000 and 2012 -- but not completely outside the realm of possibility.
  1. Howard
  2. Carey
  3. Hughes
  4. Buddy
  5. Washington
  6. Bazley
  7. Brissett
  8. Dolezaj
  9. Moyer
  10. Chukwu
  11. Sidibe
EDITED to add Moyer / Washington.

Doesn't include Battle, who I think is gone. But I could see us using 9 consistently next year.

Last edited:
Only happened twice [well, at least 9] -- 2000 and 2012 -- but not completely outside the realm of possibility.
  1. Howard
  2. Carey
  3. Hughes
  4. Buddy
  5. Bazley
  6. Brissett
  7. Dolezaj
  8. Chukwu
  9. Sidibe
Doesn't include Battle, who I think is gone. But I could see us using 9 consistently next year.
Are you thinking Washington leaves or just didn't include him as part of the "rotation."? He also may not be fully recovered, IDK.

1. Howard
  2. Carey
  3. Hughes
  4. Buddy
  5. Bazley
  6. Brissett
  7. Dolezaj
  8. Chukwu
  9. Sidibe

He almost HAS TO play 8-9 next year. I guess the numbers will work themselves out. We will see if Tyus is the only one not back. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not.

Are you thinking Washington leaves or just didn't include him as part of the "rotation."? He also may not be fully recovered, IDK.

Whoops, total oversight on my part, wasn't an intentional omission -- he'd be the 10th, although it isn't difficult to envision him losing minutes, with both Frank / Carey being able to man the lead guard position.

Hope he bounces back physically, and has a nice career here.

Whoops, total oversight on my part, wasn't an intentional omission -- he'd be the 10th, although it isn't difficult to envision him losing minutes, with both Frank / Carey being able to man the lead guard position.

Hope he bounces back physically, and has a nice career here.

Hard to lose minutes he never got. I'm not trying to be argumentative but he didn't get much PT. Key to our guard rotation might be how Hughes is viewed. If he plays more 3 that will open up some guard minutes (not necessarily for HW). We have way too many 2's on the roster (and I'm assuming TB is not here).

Last edited:
best call was the lost bus driver. asked JB about recruiting in canada.

Moyer is a scholarship player not included on RF’s list. The roommates (Moyer and Battle) leave together?

Was he talking rotation, or entire group of scholarship players?

He was talking about what I call 'recruited' players, (Braedon Bayer has a scholarship but was not recruited by the coaching staff). he said "Next year we’ll have at least 10, maybe 9." I took it to mean that even if we have somebody jump to the pros or leave the team we should still end up with that many recruited players, not the 7 guys we are down to now.

Last edited:
  1. Howard
  2. Carey
  3. Hughes
  4. Buddy
  5. Bazley
  6. Brissett
  7. Dolezaj
  8. Chukwu
  9. Sidibe
EDIT -- adding -- 10. Howard Washington

Want to edit again to add Moyer?

I think he was talking about rotation players.

1. Howard
  2. Carey
  3. Hughes
  4. Buddy
  5. Washington
  6. Bazley
  7. Brissett
  8. Dolezaj
  9. Moyer
  10. Chukwu
  11. Sidibe
EDITED to add Moyer / Washington.

Washington *may* end up taking a RS, IF he's not fully recovered AND/OR we have a glut of guards, which is at least a theoretical possibility if Tyus comes back (I agree - he gone), and even maybe if he doesn't, with:
Frank, Hughes, Carey, and Buddy.
Washington would - at best - beat out Buddy for 4th guard, which is far from a given.

Assuming Dib returns healthy next year, we're going to have SOLID DEPTH at EVERY position for the first time since '12.
Our Forward rotation with OSB (I think he returns), DBaze, Marek & Moyer is gonna be filthy. :cool:

Washington *may* end up taking a RS, IF he's not fully recovered AND/OR we have a glut of guards, which is at least a theoretical possibility if Tyus comes back (I agree - he gone), and even maybe if he doesn't, with:
Washington would - at best - beat out Buddy for 4th guard, which is far from a given.

Assuming Dib returns healthy next year, we're going to have SOLID DEPTH at EVERY position for the first time since '12.
Our Forward rotation with OSB (I think he returns), DBaze, Marek & Moyer is gonna be filthy. :cool:

HW taking a redshirt of any type would be surprising. His best chance for PT is for Hughes to play a lot of 3 or for Buddy to redshirt, which would be somewhat surprising because we need shooting. As I've said, we have way too many 2's. The JB player "interviews" are going to be interesting. Wish I could be a fly on the wall.

Bazley and Brissett will be starting forwards. A freshman and a sophomore. I wouldn't be surprised if Moyer and Dolezaj depart. they say European players often go back home after a season or two and Moyers has 3 years of eligibility left. he might not want to waste one sitting on the bench.

Bazley and Brissett will be starting forwards. A freshman and a sophomore. I wouldn't be surprised if Moyer and Dolezaj depart. they say European players often go back home after a season or two and Moyers has 3 years of eligibility left. he might not want to waste one sitting on the bench.
If Moyer were to transfer, he would have to sit out another season and would then have only two years of eligibility remaining. I'm not sure he would like to do that. If he sticks it out here, he would likely have a significant role as a junior and senior.

If we actually used a bench instead of playing starters 38-40 minutes, there would be enough minutes to go around and keep our best players fresh so they aren't too gassed defend in the last 4 minutes.

There’s zero reason to force anyone out if I was JB. Injuries this year prove that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom