The Jim Boheim...errr...Beoheim Show (11/19/18) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boheim...errr...Beoheim Show (11/19/18)

You do know all three of our point guards were hurt, right?

Yes, good point. I do realize that although my post focused mainly on one guy. Anyway - I still think the trajectory is good now because those guys are getting back into game action. There would definitely be an effect to not having them in practice. My dispute was with the throwing the hands up and giving the impression that there is no way to do anything other than suck as a result of it. I don't think a leader should give that impression. I have had colleagues in leadership roles at work fired for much less than that.

if you really believe that any tiny bit of credibility you may have had just vanished
I honestly don’t care what you think. Your opinion is your opinion and I really don’t care about it.
I answered 0307 who I care what he thinks and that isn’t what I said.
I said Battle and Brissett were recruited because they fit the zone.
I also said Buddy obviously was recruited as a shooter but he needs time to develop.
Carey was recruited for offense and not as a zone fit.
We prioritize zone fits in recruiting.

I honestly don’t care what you think. Your opinion is your opinion and I really don’t care about it.
I answered 0307 who I care what he thinks and that isn’t what I said.
I said Battle and Brissett were recruited because they fit the zone.
I also said Buddy obviously was recruited as a shooter but he needs time to develop.
Carey was recruited for offense and not as a zone fit.
We prioritize zone fits in recruiting.
And I don't care about your inane opinions either, just that they litter every single thread on here ad nauseam. again - you couldn't be more wrong if you think Battle and Brissett were recruited just to play defense in the zone

The anti-frank bias still existing on this board’s rough.

Frank’s not Gandalf arriving at Helms Deep to relieve the hopeless broken garrison.

He’s a senior point guard who allows our offense to have an actual flow and is a critical part to our dominant returning defense. With Frank we’re a potentially dangerous offense. Without Frank we’re 4 guys who don’t know what to do if they’re not scoring, and multiple other guys who can’t or won’t create on their own.

He’s just a vital piece.

We’ll see how things look with Frank. Can only wait. I expect there to be struggles with or without him though since, IMO, the offense is broken regardless and/or not tailored well to these players’ strengths or lack thereof.

So, JB admittedly watches tons of ball which is cool. He’s a basketball savant. When he watches lots of these other teams (I can name a bunch of them) who can get buckets in the post, move the ball, run a PNR properly; what is he thinking?

A.) We’re good. We have better players.
B.) Hmmm, we should be doing that, i.e. moving the ball around crisply, running better plays, better fundamentals, etc.
C.) Crap, we’re screwed.
D.) None of the above.

His answer to me basically implied to me I don’t recruit offensive skills I recruit for my defense.
As if your philosophy on offense is to adjust to the talent you don’t have an offensive philosophy.
We know his defensive philosophy and I did get a chuckle from him saying the D will be fine. We don’t run plays as he said outside of a ball screen. There is no movement for plauers without the ball.
Shooting is no doubt important but you need a system.

Any good coach adapts his strategy to the available talent. And on the college level, you are always missing something so you have to match what you have and what you try to do. Classic example: Dino Babers said many times when he got here that he doesn't like running quarters. he wants them in the pocket, picking apart the defense as Garappolo did at EIU and Johnson did at BG. But in Dungey he had a quarterback who loved to run and was probably better at it than at passing, so he incorporated quarterback option plays into his offense.

In recent years, JB has coached teams that got out and ran, (2012), that slowed it down, (2014, 2018, etc.), had an inside scorer (2015) or did not, had a pure point guard (2013-14) and did not, had great outside shooters, (2017) and did not (2018), etc. etc.

And I don't care about your inane opinions either, just that they litter every single thread on here ad nauseam. again - you couldn't be more wrong if you think Battle and Brissett were recruited just to play defense in the zone
There you go again.
Who said they were just to play defense? Where did I say that?
I said they were recruited because they fit the zone. You spin my words to where I never went.
I could spin what you say to put it out of context but I don’t need too. I really don’t care what you think. I call it the way I see it. You call it to whatever defends the Wall.

There you go again.
Who said they were just to play defense? Where did I say that?
I said they were recruited because they fit the zone. You spin my words to where I never went.
I could spin what you say to put it out of context but I don’t need too. I really don’t care what you think. I call it the way I see it. You call it to whatever defends the Wall.
the Wall?

Any good coach adapts his strategy to the available talent. And on the college level, you are always missing something so you have to match what you have and what you try to do. Classic example: Dino Babers said many times when he got here that he doesn't like running quarters. he wants them in the pocket, picking apart the defense as Garappolo did at EIU and Johnson did at BG. But in Dungey he had a quarterback who loved to run and was probably better at it than at passing, so he incorporated quarterback option plays into his offense.

In recent years, JB has coached teams that got out and ran, (2012), that slowed it down, (2014, 2018, etc.), had an inside scorer (2015) or did not, had a pure point guard (2013-14) and did not, had great outside shooters, (2017) and did not (2018), etc. etc.
Would a coach who wants to run the option recruit Tommy DeVito?
Would a coach who wants to run the spread Fun ‘n Gun offense recruit Terrel Hunt?
Coaches will always take elite talent and adjust but you should have baseline offense you want to run.
We know the defense and JB recruits too it.

Would a coach who wants to run the option recruit Tommy DeVito?
Would a coach who wants to run the spread Fun ‘n Gun offense recruit Terrel Hunt?
Coaches will always take elite talent and adjust but you should have baseline offense you want to run.
We know the defense and JB recruits too it.

Pearl is not an SU football fan so he doesn't get what you are talking about. I believe he follows Minnesota CFB as he has stated before.

As far as Hughes goes I still believe you are wrong and I think he's playing better than Brissett or Battle.

The anti-frank bias still existing on this board’s rough.

Frank’s not Gandalf arriving at Helms Deep to relieve the hopeless broken garrison.

He’s a senior point guard who allows our offense to have an actual flow and is a critical part to our dominant returning defense. With Frank we’re a potentially dangerous offense. Without Frank we’re 4 guys who don’t know what to do if they’re not scoring, and multiple other guys who can’t or won’t create on their own.

He’s just a vital piece.

Potentially dangerous?! I almost spit out my coffee. I agree not having him is problematic but you gotta pump the brakes a bit. Frank back COULD get the offense to an average level and a more even playing field. Buddy isn’t going to be playing that much and the Centers are still as raw as tartare. But we must call it how it is and even Boeheim called it quasi-warning us. This was probably the worst offense in the P5 WITH Frank. I posted the exact number yesterday. We were like 179 in the country in Floor %. Factor in the pace we play at with that number and one is looking at incredibly inefficient offense. We aren’t adding transcendant players or All-Americans. Potentially dangerous is never happening this year. I’ll gladly eat crow if I’m wrong. Can we be better? Yes of course but an average offense is about the ceiling, IMO. We should be a decent team with that and a good defense again.

Last edited:
Pearl is not an SU football fan so he doesn't get what you are talking about. I believe he follows Minnesota CFB as he has stated before.

As far as Hughes goes I still believe you are wrong and I think he's playing better than Brissett or Battle.
I thought defend the Wall was known.
The nice definition is to defend someone from criticism.

The QB analogy was for SWC. Who brought Dino into this.

don't really follow any football - I do know that the "football offenses and recruiting do this, so therefor basketball offenses and recruiting should do this" attempts are 100% worthless

don't really follow any football - I do know that the "football offenses and recruiting do this, so therefor basketball offenses and recruiting should do this" attempts are 100% worthless

Ahh not sure where I got that from. May have mixed you up with another poster.

Ahh not sure where I got that from. May have mixed you up with another poster.
nah I've mentioned I'm in MN, and I think I posted on the football side when Coyle went to MN - so you had it right

There have plenty of recruits we have passed on because they don’t fit our defense.

There have plenty of recruits we have passed on because they don’t fit our defense.

This is the worst year to be complaining about recruiting. We signed our 3 main targets so far and they are all dynamic offensive players in their own way. Goodine, Girard, and Guerrier are all dynamite offensive players in their own way and we’re still going after other bigs.

Have you followed recruiting at all this year?

This is the worst year to be complaining about recruiting. We signed our 3 main targets so far and they are all dynamic offensive players in their own way. Goodine, Girard, and Guerrier are all dynamite offensive players in their own way and we’re still going after other bigs.

Have you followed recruiting at all this year?
I am not complaining about the recruits this year. The frustration is with the current team. I like the recruits we got I have been giving them credit for JGIII and the other 2 guards.
No problem with that.
I give GMac the credit for getting these guys and hopefully telling JB we need more offense and skill.

We are paying the price these last 5 years though for recruiting for defense first. The offense has deteriorated and that is why we have had to white knuckle wins. That isn’t appealing basketball.

Potentially dangerous?! I almost spit out my coffee. I agree not having him is problematic but you gotta pump the brakes a bit. Frank back COULD get the offense to an average level and a more even playing field. Buddy isn’t going to be playing that much and the Centers are still as raw as tartare. But we must call it how it is and even how Boeheim called it quasi-warning us. This was probably the worst offense in the P5 WITH Frank. I posted the exact number yesterday. We were like 179 in the country in Floor % I think it was AT the pace we played at which is incredibly inefficient. We aren’t adding transcendant players or All-Americans. Potentially dangerous is never happening this year. I’ll gladly eat crow if I’m wrong. Can we be better? Yes of course but an average offense is about the ceiling, IMO. We should be a decent team with that and a good defense again.

Last year, Frank and Marek were the only players that looked to the post to give our centers open scoring opportunities in space, or oops.

Without Frank, Marek’s the only player who facilitates in this team. Marek’s not taken the necessary next step, we all know he’s capable of, in taking his open shots and not deferring. He needs another distributor/facilitator to be effective in our offense.

Chukwu and Marek become non threats imo without Frank.

Oshae’s also negatively impacted as Frank often helps free up space for brissett to step into an open shot or have an open look downlow.

Frank’s not Johnny Flynn or MCW. We’re just a noticeably lesser team without him. With him we’re a top 25 team.

Potentially dangerous happens when we have a bridge between our iso scorers and supporting cast. Marek’s not ready for that, our senior point guard is.

I am not complaining about the recruits this year. The frustration is with the current team. I like the recruits we got I have been giving them credit for JGIII and the other 2 guards.
No problem with that.
I give GMac the credit for getting these guys and hopefully telling JB we need more offense and skill.

We are paying the price these last 5 years though for recruiting for defense first. The offense has deteriorated and that is why we have had to white knuckle wins. That isn’t appealing basketball.

Outside of Duke and UK just about everyone recruits for system in CBB.

Outside of Duke and UK just about everyone recruits for system in CBB.
I am not saying don’t recruit for the zone but maybe do what they are finally doing now and sprinkle in some offense.
I am sorry but our offense should not look as bad as it has the since 2012.
If we had just a decent offense in 2013 that D wins a NC.
The halfcourt offense has been atrocious far too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom