The Landscape of College Sports Will change forever. | Syracusefan.com

The Landscape of College Sports Will change forever.

Mark this day. This will have not a ripple, but a tsunami effect. Changes coming. I pray for the future of college athletics.
I agree. Systemic changes have to happen. I don't get the sense these are isolated cases. People have been implying for years that this happens with many of the top recruits. It's more widespread than we believe. It's just that some schools engage in it more heavily than others--or have bigger budgets!

Mark this day. This will have not a ripple, but a tsunami effect. Changes coming. I pray for the future of college athletics.

That's awfully optimistic. I don't see much changing. Nothing much has changed with the disclosure - by the players themselves - several years ago that North Carolina has a whole fake major that athletes are steered into.

Nothing really changed about campus visits are Louisville's Hooker Gate. Hell, even Pitino still has his job.

Nothing really changed when Dave Bliss covered up a murder by one of his players at Baylor.

Nothing really changed when Florida State's football players (including, I believe, Jamies Winston, the Heisman Trophy winner) were involved in repeated sexual assault and the Tallahassee police dept. was complicit in the cover up.

You had a governor of a state intervene when one of his teams was left out of conference expansion and nothing really happened.

You had the Senator from Utah threaten to challenge the BCS football system because he was afraid that Brigham Young would be foreclosed from every competing for the national championship and nothing really happened.

Nothing much changed after the BC points shaving scandal back in the 80s. You still see betting lines on all college sports.

So, forgive me if I don't share your sentiment.

NCAA and the networks have power, lots of money, and the product that enables them to make lots more. I don't see much of anything changing.

Change takes longer in this country but we do things far differently. With that said we stand alone as having collegiate athletics as a major player in our entertainment sector. Across the globe it is professional sports with multiple levels, namely soccer. There are typically at least 3 levels before you go down to amateur and even then those are not universities.

The financials do not always work given corruption etc but the reality is we already are using some of this approach given baseball's long-standing minor league structure and now the nbdl. At some point, given baseball has a long standing model - this has to be the model for other sports. It is the closest to the global model but also allows retaining the college product as a major player in entertainment. Additionally, it brings more sports crazed markets into the semi pro market without instituting the relegation/promotion model used overseas thus keeping it "American"

That's awfully optimistic. I don't see much changing. Nothing much has changed with the disclosure - by the players themselves - several years ago that North Carolina has a whole fake major that athletes are steered into.

Nothing really changed about campus visits are Louisville's Hooker Gate. Hell, even Pitino still has his job.

Nothing really changed when Dave Bliss covered up a murder by one of his players at Baylor.

Nothing really changed when Florida State's football players (including, I believe, Jamies Winston, the Heisman Trophy winner) were involved in repeated s e xual assault and the Tallahassee police dept. was complicit in the cover up.

You had a governor of a state intervene when one of his teams was left out of conference expansion and nothing really happened.

You had the Senator from Utah threaten to challenge the BCS football system because he was afraid that Brigham Young would be foreclosed from every competing for the national championship and nothing really happened.

Nothing much changed after the BC points shaving scandal back in the 80s. You still see betting lines on all college sports.

NCAA and the networks have power, lots of money, and the product that enables them to make lots more. I don't see much of anything changing.
Truthfully, optimism wasn't the note I intended to sound. For all the ills and all the positives, college sports has created an incredible product for entertainment purposes. There are really tremendous positives whatever anyone may think, in terms of the opportunity for education and growth. The seismic changes I anticipate will be unpredictable.

Last edited:
This is just another thing that will push the P5 conferences to break away from the NCAA sooner rather than later. That will be the biggest change of all.

This is the FBI conducting this investigation...not the s*it stain NCAA. It will be interesting how this all plays out because we're not talking just suspensions here...we're talking arrests and time in Federal prison.
Yup. Wouldn't be shocked if folks have started singing to save themselves. This could be huge.

FBI has officially informed Louisville that it's under investigation. I think this truly will scare the shite out of a lot of people that might roll the dice if only the NCAA was enforcing the rules. Total game changer. Will people still try to get away with it? No question. But this will give pause to a lot of people considering paying players.

Nothing will change.

See as an example the Penn State football program.

Nothing will change.

I don't know. I mean isn't there a chance that an FBI probe could touch dozens of high profile schools and deal a significant blow to what little credibility the NCAA had in the first place? Competition will always breed cheating and unscrupulous behavior, so that won't change, but it's hard to imagine this doesn't put a lot of people who were essentially untouchable in the direct line of fire.

Nothing will change. No one is going to jail for 80 years. A few will take the fall,and next year all will be the same. PSU conspired to rape little kids and nobody cared.

Nothing really changed when Florida State's football players (including, I believe, Jamies Winston, the Heisman Trophy winner) were involved in repeated s e xual assault and the Tallahassee police dept. was complicit in the cover up.

that was the NCAA
this is the FBI

yes, I understand the inherent hypocrisy in that but still...

that was the NCAA
this is the FBI

yes, I understand the inherent hypocrisy in that but still...

Actually, yes, I overlooked that part. That does make this different, just because the threat of serious jail time is going to make people sing. And nobody wants that, at least in the sports entertainment industry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom