The Missing Ingredient to a NC. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Missing Ingredient to a NC.

We lack inside scoring, like we had w/ AO or RJ in the middle.
Melo has gotten better, but both he & BMK, not to mention Rak, are a zero threat to score in the blocks.
Against BE frontlines, their fumblitis will kill us unless they're WIDE OPEN for layups.
We need a back-to-the-basket, low-post threat so we can avoid those 7-minute dry spells like we saw in the 2nd half last nite.
Either KJO, or CJ, or even BT should be an outlet for a dump-down, post up, & easy 2.
That's the missing link to a NC, IMO.
Without an inside offensive presence, we're very good...but not NC great!
last night's 7 minute dry spell didn't have a lot to do with bad offense but more with the hack job Manhattan was willing to do. Some good shots were stopped by grabbing as seen by at least one clear Flagrant 1 foul. No BE team would be willing to be in the double bonus with 13 minutes to play in a half.

There is no missing ingredients other than having a healthy team come March. Anything can happen in the tournament, but coaching and talent are not a problem anywhere for this team, sure there a few minor deficiencies but nothing that can't be overcome.

Agree on low post scoring, guard speed, and streak shooters from 20 feet.

exactly, my point is we didn't get points from the centers, and like in 03 we got plenty of points from melo and warrick, we will get plenty from fair and joseph

It doesn't really matter WHERE the low-post scoring comes from- heck, post up Brandon or CJ or Rak or Melo- the point is it has to come from somewhere. Its not about having our CENTERS doing all the scoring, its about having a high-percentage low-post threat that can be utilized to make everyone else more effective.
There's gonna be some nights where shots ain't falling, & I've yet to see a low-post THREAT for this team. Who cares if its from the 5, 4, 3, or 2 position- just as long as its there.

It doesn't really matter WHERE the low-post scoring comes from, heck post up Brandon or CJ or Rak or Melo- the point is it has to come from somewhere. Its not about our CENTERS doing all the scoring, its about having a high-percentage low-post threat, that can be utilized to make everyone else more effective.
There's gonna be some nights where shots ain't falling, & I've yet to see a low-post THREAT for this team. Who cares if its from the 5, 4, 3, or 2 position- just as long as its there.
again in '03 who was that?

again in '03 who was that?
Dude, "inside scoring" presence, thats my point.

In '03 we posted Melo or Hak to establish, I'll say it again...an INSIDE SCORING PRESENCE.
In the NC game vs KU, Billy Packer stated how Melo posting up the KU players, was opening things up for all those GMac threes. Coincidence?
Craig Forth wasn't Abdul-Jabbar, but Melo & Hak both had a back-to-the-basket game that forced a double-team, allowing for wide open shots from the guards. Who's there to keep teams honest right now...maybe CJ, or Rak, or Melo...let's hope so.
I haven't seen an inside-outside game so far, maybe as the season goes on, it'll get better.

Do you not watch the games? There is no low post game because no one passes into the low post.

Do you not watch the games? There is no low post game because no one passes into the low post.

Ok- so I guess its a "the chicken or the egg" thing- ie; There is no low post game, because no one passes into the low post, or...no one passes into the low post, because there is no low post game?
I think its the latter. :noidea:

Ok- so I guess its a "the chicken or the egg" thing- ie; There is no low post game, because no one passes into the low post, or...no one passes into the low post, because there is no low post game?
I think its the latter. :noidea: