the more i look at usc the better i like our chances. | Syracusefan.com

the more i look at usc the better i like our chances.

I don't honestly know what our chances are, I have a hard time figuring out what is reality and what is just my own thinking we can win b/c it's my team. I do think the offense and defense has wrinkles left that USC has not seen in the 2 games. What those are and what impact will it have on the game I have no idea. I expect to see more QB pressure on a more consistent basis, unfortunately I hope that doesn't mean that we get burned for quick TD's. There is no way we look good in this game if we don't make USC march down the field to score, if they score at will because we bring too much pressure we're in trouble.

Like I said, still not sure what to think but I do know there is no way HCDM is coughing this up as a loss. He might realize it's a long shot but even just being competitive on TV against USC would be a big deal. Recruits are going to watch this game because it's USC, so looking competitive and looking good on TV is very important I think.

I don't honestly know what our chances are, I have a hard time figuring out what is reality and what is just my own thinking we can win b/c it's my team. I do think the offense and defense has wrinkles left that USC has not seen in the 2 games. What those are and what impact will it have on the game I have no idea. I expect to see more QB pressure on a more consistent basis, unfortunately I hope that doesn't mean that we get burned for quick TD's. There is no way we look good in this game if we don't make USC march down the field to score, if they score at will because we bring too much pressure we're in trouble.

Like I said, still not sure what to think but I do know there is no way HCDM is coughing this up as a loss. He might realize it's a long shot but even just being competitive on TV against USC would be a big deal. Recruits are going to watch this game because it's USC, so looking competitive and looking good on TV is very important I think.

Agree, from a perception stand point this and WVU are the biggest games if the year. every other game is beating wining or losing to middle of the pack Big East teams. Rutgers game doesn't matter anymore or maybe never has, we have beat them 2 years in a row and lets face it they are still our recruiting us big time, if you put faith in those star systems, Of course what matters most is on the field

I wonder if Kiffy thinks that USC is so superior to the Orange that he blitzes us like crazy and just goes for the throat from the start

#5 If the team is truly a reflection of the head coach, I like our chances big time. Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than that, but it definitely is a factor in SU's favor IMO.

agreed..hes a total boob

He might be but his father is no joke and he will send the kitchen sink at our OL ... that is what scares me most. I honestly feel we can win this game but it will take nearly the perfect storm to do it.

Well, the good news is, if we play terribly, most people will have been flipping back and forth between Oklahoma-FSU, and Miami-Ohio State anyway, so maybe not seen by many. I'm sure there will be those looking to watch The Italian Job, who will happen onto F/X (as it's the only movie they show and on every 3 hours). So we could lose out on that cross section.

He might be but his father is no joke and he will send the kitchen sink at our OL ... that is what scares me most. I honestly feel we can win this game but it will take nearly the perfect storm to do it.

RB screen and quick slants. I'm expecting pressure, and I'm expecting USC to get burnt at least a few times by it. If they sneek the safeties up, maybe we finally just throw it deep contrary to what we did vs Wake.

Perfect storm almost happened against us vs Rhode Island last week. Funny things happen when well coached teams play in games where noone gives them a chance or expects anything from them. Plus, weve played better on the road.

I wonder if Kiffy thinks that USC is so superior to the Orange that he blitzes us like crazy and just goes for the throat from the start
That wouldn't be a bad game plan.

That wouldn't be a bad game plan.

His father will bring pressure but ... but ... he isn't such a gambler that he will keep shooting himself in the foot. He is the master of the Tampa cover 2 ... he will make life hard on Nassib but I think Ryan can do some serious damage if he makes the right reads ... the players for USC will be the biggest issue ... they appear to be very undisciplined ... and that can be exploited.

1.) barkley is not a scrambler/runner

2.) inexperienced o-line

3.)starts two freshmen olb. like us

4.) fr. runningback and w.r.

5.) lane kiffian as their head coach

6.) the fans show no respect for syracuse and the big east at all,but our track record might back that up

7.) barkley is awfully lucky that he hasn't thrown for alot more interceptions so far this season.

i guess from their board utah should have 4 more in that game and one was a pick "6" that should have been caught

this team might be prime for a good defensive scheme by shafer...gut feeling here

We will need to win the TO battle, handily. Like no turnovers for us and 3 or more for them.

We will need to win special teams.

We will need to break at least one big play from scrimmage.

Can we do this? Yes. Will we? Maybe. I'm starting to convince myself we can. I would feel much better if this game were on the east coast, however.

I wrote this in another post, but the way we beat Virginia Tech in 2001 is the way we need to beat USC this Saturday. Granted, we don't have Freeney, but someone will need to step up.

We will need to win the TO battle, handily. Like no turnovers for us and 3 or more for them.

We will need to win special teams.

We will need to break at least one big play from scrimmage.

Can we do this? Yes. Will we? Maybe. I'm starting to convince myself we can. I would feel much better if this game were on the east coast, however.

I wrote this in another post, but the way we beat Virginia Tech in 2001 is the way we need to beat USC this Saturday. Granted, we don't have Freeney, but someone will need to step up.

Its true we don't have Freeney but maybe Spruill is on the cusp of having one of those great breakthrough games ... we have been so spoiled by some of the LBs that have rolled through that school including Spruill's coach Conley ... its time we see the next LB great. I also like our QB situation vs what we had in 2001 ... I think we can do more offensively if Nassib has time ... that is the big if!

#5 is a big advantage for SU

He's got an incredibly hot wife, though. Just put her on the sidelines, and our players would be distracted all game long.

I don't..... I watched the Wake Forest and Rhode Island games

Lane Kiffin is our secret weapon. Even my Texas compadres agree that Kiffin can lose any game he is coaching. Marrone should eaily out-coach Kiffin. What Kiffin has is excellent raw talent. However, raw talent rarely wins out over good talent with good execution. If our younger guys are able to start gelling together, the Orange may be unstoppable against the Kiffin lead Trojans.

Lane Kiffin is our secret weapon. Even my Texas compadres agree that Kiffin can lose any game he is coaching. Marrone should eaily out-coach Kiffin. What Kiffin has is excellent raw talent. However, raw talent rarely wins out over good talent with good execution. If our younger guys are able to start gelling together, the Orange may be unstoppable against the Kiffin lead Trojans.

Bingo! We see this every year when we play USC East... my worry is U$C has much more raw talent and Kiffin, while a bad coach, isn't as horrendous.

Well, the good news is, if we play terribly, most people will have been flipping back and forth between Oklahoma-FSU, and Miami-Ohio State anyway, so maybe not seen by many. I'm sure there will be those looking to watch The Italian Job, who will happen onto F/X (as it's the only movie they show and on every 3 hours). So we could lose out on that cross section.

the italian job reference was so much better before you explained it... stick to your guns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom