The mucho macho Grayson Allen Story lines | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The mucho macho Grayson Allen Story lines

It had been a while since Duke had a player you really wanted to punch in the face (am I forgetting somebody since 2010?)

Marshall Plumlee says hello...
Marshall Plumlee2.jpg

The Duke campus or the campus of where he took most of his courses, NC Central U, across town?
Heyyyy. One of my best childhood friends went to NC Central... Don't dis.

That is the most obvious foot stomp I've seen. If it were not intentional, wouldn't a normal human being with feelings make some sort of "whoah, sorry, you ok?" reaction towards the player? Allen did nothing.

Okay, I wasn't able to figure out what you all were seeing because that recording posted before is bad.

If you go to NCAA - Men's College Basketball Teams, Scores, Stats, News, Standings, Rumors - ESPN and go way down the page you'll get to the video as shown on SVP's Sports Center.

That was most definitely not a foot stomp. Mostly because he didn't actually step on the defender's foot. When they show it in slow mo you see that they get their feet tangled just a bit and it throws them both off balance just a bit. And then they reach for each other and doing so ends up with the defender losing his balance. Or flopping quite possibly.

Heyyyy. One of my best childhood friends went to NC Central... Don't dis.
Not dissing them at all. I'm just passing along the rumor that Laettner went to more classes at Central under the dook/NCCU/UNC-CHeat consortium plan than he did at dook. Otherwise, the rumor goes, he couldn't have maintained eligibility. There's a lot of speculation that the One-and-Dones that K has recruited do the same thing for the short time they're at dook.

Not dissing them at all. I'm just passing along the rumor that Laettner went to more classes at Central under the dook/NCCU/UNC-CHeat consortium plan than he did at dook. Otherwise, the rumor goes, he couldn't have maintained eligibility. There's a lot of speculation that the One-and-Dones that K has recruited do the same thing for the short time they're at dook.

Interesting. Seems there is a provision, although different people say different things. One person says it can be one course per semester or summer, and this says just summer. But, this is from a recent post. Who knows what the rules were back then:

"[Students at the following] may participate in registration via the interinstitutional registration process:
Duke University
North Carolina Central University
North Carolina State University
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
The student may take a course at a participating university if the student's academic advisor and/or dean can certify that the course is appropriate for the student's degree program and that the course is not available during the same academic year at the home institution."

Maximum number of courses allowed
"One course per summer, provided that the student is concurrently registered for one course with an equivalent credit value at the home institution."

I have no idea whatsoever if Duke athletes are using this program with regularity to take one summer course at NCCU, but it's a policy given to ALL students at those six universities. It's certainly not true that they're taking their entire course workload at NCCU since that would be clearly against the policy."

H
The 'foot stomp'— jayzus christ, that was... odd. If it's anyone else, you say, "oh, well, just an awkward stumble." For Allen, you look at it over and over, and it makes less and less sense. Doesn't look at all like he was recovering balance or that he stumbled.

This kid reminds me of the character in all those 80s high school movies. Like the guy with the double popped collars in the back seat of Andrew McCarthy's BMW who doesn't have any lines.

allen-grayson-122116-getty-ftr_1pegg8us8tab91ttg0atj26ub2.jpg
Separated at birth, GA and DJ from Roseanne.

Bring her!

Check out Stub Hub for cheap tickets and hotels (I'm at the Marriott downtown, coming with a friend.)

Last minute due to cynical SU fans has left a LOT of options totally doable.

If she hates the game she can hang at the hotel with my friend who cannot go to the game due to problems with crowds and noise (TWO Traumatic brain injuries!)

Then we all meet somewhere suitable for dinner

And you get to see the campus. Cold, snowy but no blizzard predicted that I can see.

Better to see the campus on Sunday morning when all the kids are still hung over!

Then the Super Bowl Sunday.

Take Monday off to travel back.

Excellent weekend with your loved one and a chance to meet how many of the loonies here???!!!

Or not. Be selective as to the loonies!

Suspicious timing on Lying K's come back to the sidelines.

I know everybody - including myself - said the ACC has 6 locks but I think Duke has slipped to near lock status. If they finish 8-10 do they get a bid? Or do they have to get to 9-9 in conference?

They better beat Pitt this Saturday, lose and they might not even get to 8-10. 3 of their last 4 are at SU, Miami, and UNC with FSU being the lone home game.

I know everybody - including myself - said the ACC has 6 locks but I think Duke has slipped to near lock status. If they finish 8-10 do they get a bid? Or do they have to get to 9-9 in conference?

They better beat Pitt this Saturday, lose and they might not even get to 8-10. 3 of their last 4 are at SU, Miami, and UNC with FSU being the lone home game.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, because I wish Duke would miss the tourney. And this will sound crazy but.

As absurd as this sounds, Duke is a lock to get in with a 6-12 record in the ACC (and that is not just because they are Duke).

- At 6-12 their RPI is projected at #50.
- They would likely have no bad losses (Hard to get bad losses in the ACC this year when there may only be one bad team).
- They already have 5 top 50 wins (4 of which are on road/neutral courts)
- They already have 9 top 100 wins, 5 road/neutral.

Most bubble teams will not approach those quality win totals, much less on road/neutral courts, and almost all will have at least one sub 100 less, and many 2.

So at 6-12 in the ACC, they hit all the good criteria, and have no warts. It's a lock.

Last edited:
FSU got in one year with a 6-10 conference record and 0-1 in the ACCT with an OOC loss to South Florida so I should know better.

Guess it's wishful thinking on my part. ;)

FSU got in one year with a 6-10 conference record and 0-1 in the ACCT with an OOC loss to South Florida so I should know better.

Guess it's wishful thinking on my part. ;)

Sadly, after I thought about it I have Duke as a lock at 6-12, because everything I said at 7-11 would still hold at 6-12. One of the big advantages of an ACC team this year is that if you had alot of quality in the OOC, you can't do anything bad in conference. There is only one bad team to lose to in the ACC metrics wise and that is BC (and sadly we lost to that team)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, because I wish Duke would miss the tourney. And this will sound crazy but.

As absurd as this sounds, Duke is a lock to get in with a 6-12 record in the ACC (and that is not just because they are Duke).

- At 6-12 their RPI is projected at #50.
- They would likely have no bad losses (Hard to get bad losses in the ACC this year when there may only be one bad team).
- They already have 5 top 50 wins (4 of which are on road/neutral courts)
- They already have 9 top 100 wins, 5 road/neutral.

Most bubble teams will not approach those quality win totals, much less on road/neutral courts, and almost all will have at least one sub 100 less, and many 2.

So at 6-12 in the ACC, they hit all the good criteria, and have no warts. It's a lock.
However, if doosh Extraordinare Allen is still playing that will NIT sit pretty in the minds of the tournament committee

That was a typo above but an excellent one so I'm leaving it.

However, if doosh Extraordinare Allen is still playing that will NIT sit pretty in the minds of the tournament committee

That was a typo above but an excellent one so I'm leaving it.

I don't think that would be much of a factor. I don't remember the NCAA having played the "that guy should have been suspended more" angle, and I doubt they would play it. And maybe Allen should have been suspended more than one game (he should). But what 3 or 4 games? Did you want him banned for the year?

I guess its possible if their resume was really borderline, subconsciously or even consciously this could be used against them. But I think at 7-11 they are clearly above the bubble line. The chances of them ending 6-12, are less than 0.1% so I will not even bother discusing it,

I don't think that would be much of a factor. I don't remember the NCAA having played the "that guy should have been suspended more" angle, and I doubt they would play it. And maybe Allen should have been suspended more than one game (he should). But what 3 or 4 games? Did you want him banned for the year?

I guess its possible if their resume was really borderline, subconsciously or even consciously this could be used against them. But I think at 7-11 they are clearly above the bubble line. The chances of them ending 6-12, are less than 0.1% so I will not even bother discusing it,
He's already had 2 or 3 suspicious incidents.

What happens the next time his actions are blatant enough to get a Flagrant two?

Or maybe some opponent is out with a season or career ending injury?

Maybe we should start doing what Duke does and play the Elons and Rhode Islands of the world at neutral sites. That's pretty much how they boost their RPI every year. I would guess there's to much revenue to give up not having games at the dome though. Duke doesn't make much money off games at Cameron.

What happens the next time his actions are blatant enough to get a Flagrant two?

I think Allen's one incident away from being done.

I remember last year being furious because he was literally grabbing Cooney's jersey the entire game at Cameron and the refs never called him for it.

I am not going to defend the dick or his actions.

But my point is this is not something the NCAA is likely to consider.

That would be kinda fitting. I remember back when i was at SU and my best friend was at Duke, and he told me Laettner came back to campus after being drafted, and was kinda showboating his new BMW.

I didn't find anything about Allen other than a 'tweet' from a "FakeSportsCenter" account. Maybe a joke or some 'fake news' about his daddy buying it for him as a congratulations for rejoining the team after the 'suspension.' Don't think it was serious, though. Whatever. If he comes from money, lucky for him. I was told, back in the late 80s that the Duke campus had a couple of students' Ferraris, so maybe it's not a big whoop.

It was posted here by someone who lives in Durham or works at Duke I can't remember the specifics. But the person was stuck in a traffic jam and saw Allen in same traffic jam driving a Mercedes as I recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom