"The Mythical Triple Double" | Syracusefan.com

"The Mythical Triple Double"

SWC75

Bored Historian
Nike Tamurian, the sports anchor on Channel 3, just said that Rakeem Christmas last Saturday was "just three blocks away from the mythical triple double". He had 14 points, 12 rebounds and 7 blocks.

If he had three more blocks it would have been epic. But would it have been "mythical"? :noidea:

Last edited:
SWC75 said:
Nike Tamurian, the sports anchor on Channel 3, just said that Rakeem Christmas last Saturday was "just three blocks away form the mythical triple double". He had 14 points, 12 rebounds and 7 blocks. If he had three more blocks it would have been epic. But would it have been "mythical"? :noidea:

In Cuse terms almost. Last one Allen Griffen? I'm shocked MCW didn't pull one off last season still. Thought he'd have two or three the way he was playing in the beginning of the year.

To be "mythical" if he did reach 10. Would most likely need one play to standout at the very end of the game. His final block to be a game saving type, a buzzer beater block so to say or a dunk for the win. A signature play. Casual fans remember endings to games like Pearl's shot, but not many remember Allen Griffin having a triple double.

But if your triple double includes any stat of 10 (like 12 points, 13 rebounds, 10 assists) then it doesn't count on account of "luck."

To be "mythical" if he did reach 10. Would most likely need one play to standout at the very end of the game. His final block to be a game saving type, a buzzer beater block so to say or a dunk for the win. A signature play. Casual fans remember endings to games like Pearl's shot, but not many remember Allen Griffin having a triple double.

His steal was pretty stellar. I know that wasn't part of his triple double statline, but it's still pretty memorable

Maybe he was referring to points/rebounds/blocks triple double versus the traditional points/rebounds/assists triple double.

As infrequent as the traditional one is, how often does the former occur in comparison? I have no idea, just asking.

Cheers,
Neil

Maybe he was referring to points/rebounds/blocks triple double versus the traditional points/rebounds/assists triple double.

As infrequent as the traditional one is, how often does the former occur in comparison? I have no idea, just asking.

Cheers,
Neil

I remember Fab almost had the former type in a game two years ago. I believe he needed something like 2 more rebounds, but JB took him out of the game.

Nike Tamurian, the sports anchor on Channel 3, just said that Rakeem Christmas last Saturday was "just three blocks away form the mythical triple double". He had 14 points, 12 rebounds and 7 blocks.

If he had three more blocks it would have been epic. But would it have been "mythical"? :noidea:

When you're three blocks away are you even in the same neighborhood?

Griffin's was senior night against Pitt in 2002. A nice way to go out.

Sadly the last Syracuse triple double was a bad triple double. Hakim Warrick's last game against Vermont he had double digit points, rebounds, and turnovers.

Cheers,
Neil
How about points, assists, steals?

Nike Tamurian, the sports anchor on Channel 3, just said that Rakeem Christmas last Saturday was "just three blocks away form the mythical triple double". He had 14 points, 12 rebounds and 7 blocks.

He should have said "elusive" Mythical doesn't work at all there.

He should have said "elusive" Mythical doesn't work at all there.

Mythical means not real. Elusive, rare, extraordinary all work.

I remember Fab almost had the former type in a game two years ago. I believe he needed something like 2 more rebounds, but JB took him out of the game.

I was thinking of this game. Wanna say Seton Hall, and he had 10 blocks in the first half?

In the 1961-62 season, with the Cincinnati Royals in the NBA, Oscar Robertson AVERAGED a triple double:

Rebounds: 12.5
Assists: 11.4

MCW actually came into the stratosphere of a quadruple double against Eastern Michigan last year. He had 11 Pts, 11 Asts. 7 Rbs and 6 TOs. He also had 3 Stls.

It has been done a handful of times in the pros, but never in college as far as I know.

Not mythical and not almost. Seven is a long way from ten if we're talking about anything other than points.

Seton Hall, right before the New Year. Dominant performance in limited minutes.

In the 1961-62 season, with the Cincinnati Royals in the NBA, Oscar Robertson AVERAGED a triple double:

Rebounds: 12.5
Assists: 11.4

Too bad he picked the same year Wilt Chamberlain averaged 50.4ppg and 25.7rpg.

But Russell's team still won the title!

Three form Dave Bing, three form Leo Rautins, (I though Louie Orr had one against St. John's but I guess not), Derrick Coleman, Lazarus Sims and Allen Griffin. Bing's were against lesser teams, American U., Kent State, and Northwestern, (the only power conference school never to make the NCAA tournament). Leo did it against Georgetown, Boston College and St. Peter's in the NIT. Coleman did it against CW Post. Sims did it against St. John's and Griffin against Pittsburgh.

Griffin's is the one that seems to most unlikely as a 6-0 guard. But I remember him having the most spectacular block I've seen against St. John's. He got up 2/3 of the way to the top of the glass to wipe away a lay-up on a fast break. Guy had some springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom