The need for a big center | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The need for a big center

"We all want a "faster" game, but does a "big" accomplish that? Who is going to have the quicker time- the 250-270 pounder or the 210-225 pounder? Most times it it the smaller guy who speeds up the game. "

Well we don't play fast now and that is with skinny dudes all over the floor. Why would this change? So if we're going to play slow anyway, at least give me some heft.

What we have seen (not theory, but observations) is that our skinny centers (Sidibe, Dolezaj and Edwards) get pushed around, can’t score inside when defended, and give up a ton of inside points. They can’t do enough in other elements of the game to make up for their lack of inside strength.
Give us a center like Onouku or Jackson or Rak or Fab Melo, and this team would be a factor in March.
Edwards as a junior, with another 25 lbs, will be a good center for us. And that will illustrate the difference between too skinny (Edwards now) and what a team needs.
I am sick of always looking at recruits saying "just needs another 25 lbs on him". The issue is most skinny people stay skinny. Look at Doley - he has put muscle on and some weight but not significantly whatsoever and he never will. We need guys who do not need 25 lbs, they already have the size.

I am sick of always looking at recruits saying "just needs another 25 lbs on him". The issue is most skinny people stay skinny. Look at Doley - he has put muscle on and some weight but not significantly whatsoever and he never will. We need guys who do not need 25 lbs, they already have the size.
Sure, and some guys are skinny when recruited and add muscle. Remember Tyler Lydon? The ideal (obviously) is the recruit who has the size coming in. The practical reality is that many forwards and centers develop size and skills in college.

I don't think this is very good deductive reasoning. There are few really talented large centers, therefor the conclusion must be that they are being phased out in the college game. My take is the opposite: There are very few centers like this available and college programs fall over themselves trying to land them. When they can't get them, they create offenses and defenses around what they CAN get. UK, Duke, and KU have had several recently that ended up in the NBA early.

I don't think this is very good deductive reasoning. There are few really talented large centers, therefor the conclusion must be that they are being phased out in the college game. My take is the opposite: There are very few centers like this available and college programs fall over themselves trying to land them. When they can't get them, they create offenses and defenses around what they CAN get. UK, Duke, and KU have had several recently that ended up in the NBA early.
Agree. The new college game (especially the NCAA's) is guard driven. Smaller lineup teams can have success - Nova being the paradigm. They ran three shooter-guards and a couple forwards that could rebound and defend the rim. Obviously their shooters were really good.

But that's only one path to success, and maybe not even the most likely. Most of the top teams still play size in the middle - because they can recruit big centers. Look at the top teams right now: Kansas has Azubuike (7'0 270). LV has Enoch- 6'10 255). OSU has Wesson (6'9 270). And Duke has Carey (6'10 270). These guys are huge. Is it possible to beat them with guard-heavy lineups? Sure, IF you shoot the lights out. But if you don't ... good luck .. because they don't have to.

Last edited:
Most of the top teams still play size in the middle - because they can recruit big centers. Look at the top teams right now: Kansas has Azubuike (7'0 270). LV has Enoch- 6'10 255). OSU has Wesson (6'9 270). And Duke has Carey (6'10 270). These guys are huge. Is it possible to beat them with guard-heavy lineups? Sure, IF you shoot the lights out. But if you don't ... good luck .. because they don't need to.
And No.1 recruit James Wiseman isn't exactly a twig and at 18 and 1/2 years old is already way more stout than Chukwu ever was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom