The next assistant is a big hire | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The next assistant is a big hire

It's probably going to be the former DOBO, reading the tea leaves.

Don't know the guy, but I'm not impressed.

I am really skeptical about us getting a decent assistant in here unless he is a younger guy and is clearly placed in the position of top assistant. Anyone considering the job has to be wondering how much time they'll have here before JB retires and they are looking for their next gig. If it only ends up being a year or two that is not much of an addition to the resume for a more established assistant.

You can trumpet that JB just got a 5 year extension all day long, but that doesn't mean that potential assistants are going to be certain that he (and they) will be here that long. I think it's going to be a tough position to hire into. We are also probably going to see Autry out on the market. There is no way that he will be considered for the head job when JB steps aside and with Hop moving on he probably won't have a place here at SU when JB retires.

I am really skeptical about us getting a decent assistant in here unless he is a younger guy and is clearly placed in the position of top assistant. Anyone considering the job has to be wondering how much time they'll have here before JB retires and they are looking for their next gig. If it only ends up being a year or two that is not much of an addition to the resume for a more established assistant.

You can trumpet that JB just got a 5 year extension all day long, but that doesn't mean that potential assistants are going to be certain that he (and they) will be here that long. I think it's going to be a tough position to hire into. We are also probably going to see Autry out on the market. There is no way that he will be considered for the head job when JB steps aside and with Hop moving on he probably won't have a place here at SU when JB retires.

If we end up running into that issue just to fill the staff then I'm cringing at the thought of us trying to tell a recruit's family our staff will be around.

Anyone remember Damone Brown. Well after a very lengthy playing career he is now coaching.

He is currently an assistant coach at Villa Maria College in Buffalo NY.

Along with coaching at Villa, Brown is the owner and founder of Damone Brown Pro Training, the training organization helps people ages 6 to 50 build fundamental basketball skills. It focuses on individual skill sets and better enhancing them in all areas.

From 2013-15, Brown also served as an Assistant Coach at East High School in Buffalo. He currently lives in Buffalo with his two sons; Damone Brown Jr. and DaShaun Brown.

image.jpg
Aren't you tired of having to carry that umbrella around all the time?

I mean George DeLeone and Paul Pasqualoni have northeast connections and experience on both sides of the ball ;)

In all honesty though going after a Paulus, Allen Griffen or Pat Beilein makes a lot of sense. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone from the AAU ranks with Cuse ties either, a la Autry.

Lawrence Moten
Coached in the PBL(Rochester Razor Sharks) had a 17-1 record in 2014. Head Coach of Boeheims Army.

Recently an Assistant at Gallaudet D3 college for the Deaf/Hard hearing.

Moten said he’d love to coach at the Division I level or in the NBA. For now, many of the lessons he tries to teach the small-college Bison come from his former coach at Syracuse, Jim Boeheim.

“One of the things I loved about Coach Boeheim is he knew how to punch buttons, whether to yell or not at certain players and how to deal with certain emotions,” Moten said.

No info on names but an interesting name I just thought of is Josh Pace. He is an assistant somewhere on the D1 level so he has some experience, is a Syracuse guy, smart guy, won a chip and is friends with Gmac so he would fit right in.

No info on names but an interesting name I just thought of is Josh Pace. He is an assistant somewhere on the D1 level so he has some experience, is a Syracuse guy, smart guy, won a chip and is friends with Gmac so he would fit right in.
Assistant coach for the Pepperdine women's team

How big could he be? With Red and GMac moving up, there's only room for a lower level up and comer, but I don't think anyone should expect a real big fish be landed. You already have an Assoc. head coach, just need a body to fill out the staff now. I suspect it to be more of the same, a loyal Orange soldier given a chance to prove themselves, nothing more.
Bernie Fine and Mike Hopkins were firmly ensconced as the 1st and 2nd assistants when Boeheim hired both Troy Weaver and Rob Murphy. It wasn't a hindrance then and it won't be now.

He rented a safe deposit box that a drug dealer held his money in. Not a smart move but nothing too crazy.

Thats good to hear, thought it was a lot worse for some reason

I'm assuming that the new assistant coach will be considered #3 in the assistant pecking order, so I think if it's someone other than an ex-Orange player or a coach from a major AAU program, the name will be fairly obscure.

That's not necessarily bad. When Lonnie Walker signed with Miami, I checked out their coaching staff to see why they are starting to create a pipeline to Philly. They have an assistant named Adam Fisher. He was a graduate manager at Villanova from 2007-09, then held some DOBO and director of player development jobs at Boston U., Penn St, and Miami before being promoted to an assistant coaching position a couple of years ago.

If SU makes a similar hire, I'll have no clue who it is, but I think this guy has worked out for Miami. If the name is not recognizable, I'll be looking for ties to New England and Upstate New York because I don't think Autry and G Mac have the same connections there that Hopkins had.

I'm thinking the next assistant coach is going to have to bring something to the table this year, as in 1 or 2 recruits.

Jim Hart HC of AAU Albany City Rocks
Nolan Hart's father

Coached
Dajaun Coleman
Howard Washington
Kevin Huerter
Tyler Lydon
Andy Rautins
Jimmer Fredette
Audray Blatche