The number one question I would ask JB/MH is how many players are currently on scholarship | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The number one question I would ask JB/MH is how many players are currently on scholarship

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love that outcome. But if the NCAA spends two years investigating us, decides we're guilty of infractions, summons half the university to Chicago for two days and then rules that our punishment is giving up two scholarships we weren't using anyway, then they're an even bigger joke than I thought. What a waste of time and money.

it's called self-punishment, and we do need it, because our rolling APR score will take a hit without the boost those ringers give it.

it's a delicate balancing act that the staff has to manage
I think our APR would fine without the ringers the actual tutors/academic counselors would just need to do their jobs and make sure the kids did their classwork without having any leeway with the walkons. Making sure 10 kids go to class and keep a 2.0 GPA isn't that hard especially when I am sure we have 1-3 people working with the basketball team.

still obsessively posting on the penalty speculation threads, I see, Mr. Baskektball.

Just calling out Syracuse.com and The Post Standard.

Their Overkill of coverage. Chris Carlson needs to be black balled.

That's all.

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love that outcome. But if the NCAA spends two years investigating us, decides we're guilty of infractions, summons half the university to Chicago for two days and then rules that our punishment is giving up two scholarships we weren't using anyway, then they're an even bigger joke than I thought. What a waste of time and money.
The NCAA is mafia or emperor without clothes. As long as you give them patronage they won't throw the book at you. I honestly can't see our violations being anything more than Fab Melo/James Southerland and the drug policy we decided to have. If we did more than JB has some explaining to do. I don't think we have anymore but I have no evidence everything I say is my own belief.

If we give the NCAA a self-imposed hit it makes us more sympathetic because we are asking for forgiveness and that helps. I am not sure a 3 scholly hit this year would be the only lost schollys but if it was the brunt of the loss scholly penalities we could face I suggest we offer that solution.

I think our APR would fine without the ringers the actual tutors/academic counselors would just need to do their jobs and make sure the kids did their classwork without having any leeway with the walkons. Making sure 10 kids go to class and keep a 2.0 GPA isn't that hard especially when I am sure we have 1-3 people working with the basketball team.

I don't think maintaining a 2.0 is usually the problem with APR, its players leaving early and not finishing out the semester.

I don't think maintaining a 2.0 is usually the problem with APR, its players leaving early and not finishing out the semester.
Besides McCollough I don't see any early entries this year. I would tell McCollough if your going 1 and done your finishing your classes or our relationship will be strained in the future. Waiters/Johnson/MCW/Ennis all finished their semesters out so I think we will be fine as JB will make sure the players leaving if they do understand the situation.

but it's more than that - Melo and Southerland served suspensions, the former possibly costing SU a trip to the Final Four. The academic support staff was fired. Plus it voluntarily has given up scholarships. Those are three meaningful punishments, and given the potential cost of a FF trip, significant ones. It is arguably close to having an actual FF vacated.

If we only get a 2 scholly reduction for the next two seasons, that is about as HUGE a victory as we could ever hope for. It might be tough next year to decide who we wont be offering, but that is what you call 1stWorldProblems. We can have 15 All American here, we still arent playing more than 9 at the most. IF we have 11 guys instead of 13, no biggie. We still will be deep. Anything other than post season bans are ok by me. just my 2 cents.

Besides McCollough I don't see any early entries this year. I would tell McCollough if your going 1 and done your finishing your classes or our relationship will be strained in the future. Waiters/Johnson/MCW/Ennis all finished their semesters out so I think we will be fine as JB will make sure the players leaving if they do understand the situation.

If Waiters finished, then he might be one of the people as part of the issue. I had a buddy who was in a class with him and he said he flat out stopped coming half way thru the semester. If he passed, yikes.

If we only get a 2 scholly reduction for the next two seasons, that is about as HUGE a victory as we could ever hope for. It might be tough next year to decide who we wont be offering, but that is what you call 1stWorldProblems. We can have 15 All American here, we still arent playing more than 9 at the most. IF we have 11 guys instead of 13, no biggie. We still will be deep. Anything other than post season bans are ok by me. just my 2 cents.
I think we could potentially eat a 3 scholarship hit for this year to help in the future. I think the NCAA would accept that as some of our penalties.

If Waiters finished, then he might be one of the people as part of the issue. I had a buddy who was in a class with him and he said he flat out stopped coming half way thru the semester. If he passed, yikes.
Depends on the class. I think some classes you need to go every time, but their were some classes I didn't need to go at all except on dates papers/exams were scheduled and just read the books and did well.

Why? All we need to do is make sure the athletes on the team this year go to class and show academic progress. The walkons give stars some leeway to slack, but if we are close you just have the tutors ride the players hard and since this season is not NC season so going 23-8 vs 27-4 isn't a problem we can take the hit on the court this season for the future.
Well, I guess that's my point. If they can make sure the athletes on this team go to class and show academic progress, why couldn't they do that for the years in which they fall short of the bar that has been set? It seems to me that the staff has used walk-ons in the past as a way to bolster APR. All I am saying is that if we lose 'ships, they can't use that tactic.

You're not far off here.

That was a red flag at the time.

You're not far off here.

Yeah this was a real class with attendance required. he stopped going very early in the semester. i remember hearing a guy next to me at a game claim he was a professor at the school and that it was well known on campus among faculty that he flat stopped going (it was hint #1 that he was going pro that year).

Too much pessimism here. I think the investigation will show we run a stellar program, the archetype of the ideals of the NCAA. My guess is that the NCAA will grant us 4 extra scholarships, one for each of the next 4 academic year. They will also require that we vacate all of our losses for the past decade.

You're not far off here.

Of course that has NEVER happened at Kentucky or out here at Kansas...... Not that it matter when we're the ones being investigated but still...

Of course that has NEVER happened at Kentucky or out here at Kansas... Not that it matter when we're the ones being investigated but still...

The inconsistency is disappointing, no doubt about it.

The inconsistency is disappointing, no doubt about it.
I don't see the inconsistency . . . the NCAA left Syracuse alone for 20 years. The Bernie Fine allegations and the climate around the Sandusky scandal forced the NCAA to "do something." If there had been a Bobby Davis leveling charges Kentucky or Kansas or even Duke then they would have had all their rocks kicked over, too.

its really just bad luck.

I don't see the inconsistency . . . the NCAA left Syracuse alone for 20 years. The Bernie Fine allegations and the climate around the Sandusky scandal forced the NCAA to "do something." If there had been a Bobby Davis leveling charges Kentucky or Kansas or even Duke then they would have had all their rocks kicked over, too.

Well that's true. I'm only a half hour from Lawrence if anyone wants me to go stir up some trouble!

You mean like the Lance Thomas $100k jewelery purchase where he only had to put about 25% of that amount down. I know, I know the NCAA investigated and found nothing amiss with that transaction.

I know this isn't the greatest source, but, what the hey ..... http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/kansas-basketball-scandals-very-long-takes-time-read

You mean like the Lance Thomas $100k jewelery purchase where he only had to put about 25% of that amount down. I know, I know the NCAA investigated and found nothing amiss with that transaction.
Not to mention family members who suddenly received jobs in Durham or cars.

How transparent is that, though? Take a hit for scholarships we aren't using? :eek::oops::rolleyes:

Yes, but we COULD have used them. We could easily argue that we were planning on adding someone. I agree with Alsacs , and that this has been our plan all along. Then we look pro-active by taking a scholarship hit this season, and making changes to our athletic advisors.

Alsacs said:

Waiters wasn't even in Syracuse from a couple days after the NCAAs until after finals except for a weekend he came back for I believe some concert. I questioned him finishing up at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom