The ones who wowed me | Syracusefan.com

The ones who wowed me

SWC75

Bored Historian
Take this with a large grain of salt because I'm a notorious sucker for highlight films, (remember those superstars, Mike Jones, Dash Riley and Michael Gbinije?). Buit I've looked at You-Tube clips of our "wide receiver, quarterback and running back recruits and three of them stood out to me as looking like they ahd something special, even though they were facing high school competition:

Ervin Phillips, the lone running back. Moves, speed and a certain panache:

Alin Edouard: strong arm, sees the field and runs like a bolt of lightening:

Steve Ishmael. Not as big as the other receiver recruits but seemed to have great hands and instincts. Really knows how to win thew battle for the ball:

I was impressed with Custis's size but didn't really see the blazing speed he is alleged to have. Enociy was also big but impressed more as a rather mean-spirited blocker, knocking people down even when they wren't in the play. Downfield blocking is probably the most under-rated part of football: it can be the difference between a 10 yard play and a 50 yard play. Corey Cooper looked OK, not "special", (which doesn't mean he isn't: just describing what I saw. Ditto AJ Long and KJ Williams.

Hopefully they will all be fine players. But these three impressed me the most on You-Tube.

Anybody who watched Custis play hoops on ESPN the other night knows he doesn't possess blazing speed so I'd say your observation from the football film is on.

he's a big strong kid who's going to be a matchup nightmare whether it's against a LB or smurfy DBs but he won't be mistaken for Quadry.

Take this with a large grain of salt because I'm a notorious sucker for highlight films, (remember those superstars, Mike Jones, Dash Riley and Michael Gbinije?).

This book is still being written.

Take this with a large grain of salt because I'm a notorious sucker for highlight films, (remember those superstars, Mike Jones, Dash Riley and Michael Gbinije?). Buit I've looked at You-Tube clips of our "wide receiver, quarterback and running back recruits and three of them stood out to me as looking like they ahd something special, even though they were facing high school competition:

this one by far is the most impressive. Haven't seen a vid like this since Mike Hart. he's Reggie Bushesque. Did you see that one punt return early on? Worth a look for that alone. This kids going to be special.

Your point about Enoicy is why he will get playing time, we need a receiver who wants to block downfield, Ashton does, and helped spring Hunt for extra yards a number of times. Morris is quick, and PTG gets outside the WR's need to block to turn short gains into long ones. Lemon, and Sales caught passes but also engaged their defenders when needed, our receivers last year ran away from blocks. They don't need to destroy a defender, just get in the way long enough for the player with the ball to get by.

Alin Edouard: strong arm, sees the field and runs like a bolt of lightening:

I can see the Bridgewater comparison, plus, at least at this level, he's willing to run.

Caution, it's Conn. football. Looks good, but all that running backwards, cutback, dancing isn't going to work here. He doesn't look THAT explosive that he's going to get away with that stuff. Not really seeing the Tavon Austin comparison.

GoSU96 said:
Caution, it's Conn. football. Looks good, but all that running backwards, cutback, dancing isn't going to work here. He doesn't look THAT explosive that he's going to get away with that stuff. Not really seeing the Tavon Austin comparison.

Tell that to Floyd Little.

Is his reported 40 time just a lie? I heard it was in the 4.3 range. Too bad, if it is.

PhatOrange said:
Anybody who watched Custis play hoops on ESPN the other night knows he doesn't possess blazing speed so I'd say your observation from the football film is on. he's a big strong kid who's going to be a matchup nightmare whether it's against a LB or smurfy DBs but he won't be mistaken for Quadry.

I agree on the stops and stutters and reverse fields... But you can't coach vision. That kid has vision.

GoSU96 said:

I dont know that you can tell speed that much on the bball court. its mostly about quickness. with custis he has a huge stride so his turnover rate may not look that fast and he could still out run people.. did morant look that fast when he played here and he ran by NFL corners..

Your point about Enoicy is why he will get playing time, we need a receiver who wants to block downfield, Ashton does, and helped spring Hunt for extra yards a number of times. Morris is quick, and PTG gets outside the WR's need to block to turn short gains into long ones. Lemon, and Sales caught passes but also engaged their defenders when needed, our receivers last year ran away from blocks. They don't need to destroy a defender, just get in the way long enough for the player with the ball to get by.

Great point and for emphasis look what the fsu wr's did to our db's last year on screens. Guys getting pushed 10 yards downfield before they could shed the block.

Last edited:
I dont know that you can tell speed that much on the bball court. its mostly about quickness. with custis he has a huge stride so his turnover rate may not look that fast and he could still out run people.. did morant look that fast when he played here and he ran by NFL corners..

you can tell speed by who runs down the court the fastest. He looked like a power foward and not a quick FAST athletic guard. Remember we're talking about a D1 WR. Don't you think a D1 WR should look like the fastest guy on a basketball court?

But don't get me wrong either, I said before the kid isn't slow but he's not a 4.4 - probably more like a 4.6, 4.7, - he's not going to be stretching defenses. Is he as fast as say Broyld? idk,

Last edited:
Former Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year Tim Washington who ran for a billion yards and scored a billion TD's says hello.

I can see the Bridgewater comparison, plus, at least at this level, he's willing to run.

He seems to have great speed and seems to throw 60+ yards with ease.

Very thin though.

Phillips
positives
- like the vision and the hands on flares and screens
- breaks tackles but against what type of competition?

negatives
- slender build for a running back (future wide receiver or db)
- he seems taller in the video than what is reported (unless the rest of the teams are tiny in Conn)
- he dances too much in the backfield (he needs to hit the hole)

Edouard
positives
- he stays in the pocket and doesn't have happy feet
- he knows when to run when pressure and no pen receivers are available
- true dual threat qb (pass deep and run when necessary)

negatives
- slender build
- telegraphs the pass in shotgun by moving back before getting the ball
- telegraphs the handoff/qb sneak in shotgun by shaking his hips before the snap

Ishmael
positives
- he has great hands and will fight for the ball
- shed blockers to get open
- runs very smooth routes
- can't teach size

negatives
- doesn't have break away speed

These are great recruits for SU and hopefully will grow into all-ACC at their positions. These 3 players all have good football IQ and that is tough to come by sometimes.

CT football is nothing to write home about but its not bad for the size of the state, especially in Southern CT. The best teams in CT would play with the best in NY.

BlackKnight76 said:
CT football is nothing to write home about but its not bad for the size of the state, especially in Southern CT. The best teams in CT would play with the best in NY.

Agree. I covered high school football in Connecticut for a number of years. The quality of ball in Southern Connecticut, where West Haven plays, is comparable to most of the football in NY State.

Kyle McIntosh
Dwight Freeney
Cooper Gardiner

Among others

Agree. I covered high school football in Connecticut for a number of years. The quality of ball in Southern Connecticut, where West Haven plays, is comparable to most of the football in NY State.

Kyle McIntosh
Dwight Freeney
Cooper Gardiner

Among others

equal-44fl.jpg

Kyle McIntosh
Dwight Freeney
Cooper Gardiner

Among others

How long were you a reporter? Very interesting the different backgrounds we have on the board.

Orangetradition44 said:
Is his reported 40 time just a lie? I heard it was in the 4.3 range. Too bad, if it is.
Most 4.3 times are