The origins of Syracusefan.com | Syracusefan.com

The origins of Syracusefan.com

SWC75

Bored Historian
Here is another item from my review of my WORD documents. I copied this from the board we were using before the current one, which I believe began in 2011.

CTO, 1/15/10:

Ten years ago today.....

Hard to believe it, but Syracusefan.com made its debut 10 years ago today.

The long-timers know the story, but it might be interesting for those who were not here 10 years ago.

The fan forum on Syracuse.com -- the only SU fan forum extant then -- was an unmoderated sewer, and serious SU fans had no place to go. As a result, many of us started to post on the Boneyard (the UConn board) where we were not exactly welcome -- especially because SU was having a better season at that point.

Early in January, 2000, Fishy and Temery (the moderators on the UConn board) approached me about starting a Syracuse board with them (essentially to get the SU fans off the UConn board). Being computer incompetent, I was hesitant, but they promised to do the heavy techie lifting, so we did it. We started an independent, non-afiliaated board, and the first few months were quite an adventure. We had a board, but no posters, so we started raiding the syracuse.com board by posting messages there, inviting posters to join our site. Within a short time, we were all banned there.

Little by little, SU fans came to the new site. Bees, Jake, Tomcat, Mason and Cherie (along with others) were among the first. But there were lots of others in the very early days: Yegorange (our first poster), suttree, Forza, Viva, Raoul Duke (of the "monster dunks"), WSO (where has he gone?) BocaDoug (may he rest in peace), Dasher, Rossco, Alibrat, Manley Zoo, BethAnne, Ithaca Matt, IthacaMike (who's changed his handle), The Poet (who hardly posts under his new handle), Toga, Aitchessar and Ed Spires (where have they gone?), Scooch (who was Dogbert at the time), UEO, BKiss (who became DomeFoam), Millhouse, Lil Joe (who hosted the unforgettable Lil Joe Throw), CMR (who became Chipper), the Nanster, Raggs, Guth, Andrea, DCCuse, and, yes, Igor. I apologize for inadvertently omitting others, but lots of people have come and gone in 10 years, and I am doing the best I can from memory -- not from a written record.

Over the years, we've had great moderators (currently bees, Jake, Tomcat, Mason, Bayside, Orangeyes and Bill Orange), and we've moved to Rivals, and then to Scout. So here we are, 10 years later, with hundreds of new posters -- some of whom were in 3rd grade (or younger) when the board started. Gosh, I feel old.

Anyhow, happy birthday to us. I don't know what the typical half-life of a message board is, but we are pretty alive on our 10th anniversary.

Manleyzoo:
We must not forget the venerable, esteemed, highly-informed and well-heeled longtimefan, who has been a fan for some 45 years and been with the board since day 1, or maybe it was day 5, or something like that, but it was somewhere there in the beginning.

Alibrat:
this board going. As some of you know, I am a bit of a peripatetic but have been a solid Orange fan for over 60 years. This board has provided me with a lot of good information about our team, a modicum of trash from the few suffering with advanced chronic and terminal cynicism, and the re-establishment of some old friendships, as well as providing some new ones. Our hearts all belong to our beloved Orange, even, I must remember, those with whom I get irritated at times.

And here we are, 10 years later, some a little grayer and slower, some of our beloved sadly departed, reading these posts with the almost-youthful hope that greatness and magic will once again greet us in April.

Rossco1:
Actually before we camped with UCON there was the AOL Board and the one before it (I can't remember the service --- Bees,Bonn,Pete??{Compuserve?}). We seemed to always be trying to leave the wackos behind and it wasn't until the current admins. (with help from Temery and Fishy) got control of things that we have the good things that are here now.
Thanks for years of heavy lifting gang.

Cheriehoop:
And before that

we had a Prodigy site - anyone remember that? The computer age particularly social networks in it's infancy.

Great memories Joyce and to all the great friends we've made throughout the years.

Orangeeyes:
I got my first computer April of 2001. Until that time I resisted having the Internet at home because I knew it would consume too much of my time. My sister-in-law made me an offer I could not refuse, she offered me her old computer. Shortly thereafter I picked up one of those AOL free discs and was in business. My first connection was dial up. After surfing the net for SU sports news, somewhere in the fall of 2001 I ran into a pretty neat site where knowledgeable people were discussing my favorite team. Having dial up and an outdated computer it took forever for pages & links to open. Eventually, I got a new computer & hooked into broadband and the rest is history. I want to take the time to thank CTO for helping to provide the best forum on Syracuse Basketball, Football and Lacrosse on the net.

Happy Birthday to Syracusefan.com, all of its mods, members & visitors.

I think you will get a kick out of the links below

The way we were

Profiles

At this site we used to dredge up threads from the old board. Not sure if you can anymore, haven't tried it in a few years.

RF2044:
Ditto. I remember discovering the forum...

OrangeNirvana wrote: but I love this place anyway.

I discovered this community in early 2000 while I was finishing up my senior year of high school. I remember spending the entire Office Processing class every day reading the forum. I still managed to pass the class. Go figure.

Happy Anniversary!!!

...from the old syracuse.com site, and being so excited about the tremendous recruiting information that you guys had. I think that may have been back in the 97 or 98 range. Wow--time flies.

DickinMichigan:

Yep regarding Iggy and lbonn.

When I first started posting on the AOL board circa 1991 the only other people there were Shoym, IthacaMatt, and manleyzoo (under a different screen name). It was a verys small Syracuse community devoted to all SU sports. I myself posted heavily under a different screen name through the AOL years, derived from my first initial, last name, and a number...I changed it to something a little more anonymous when I moved on to the syracuse.com board.

Shoym stopped by the football board here, I want to say about 5 years ago, posted a few times, and then disappeared. He was a good guy and we talked on the phone several times in the 1990's but never met in person. He was living in Florida at the time.

One fond memory was a time when WVU fans invaded the board and totally outnumbered our small SU contingent. Shoym and I decided to create the illusion of more SU fans then actually existed by creating several screen names of alter egos...problem was our alter egos all said the same stuff as we did so anyone looking closely could see through the sham.

IthacaMatt:

Yes, LBonn on AOL morphed into Goose on the Syracuse.com board, and then ultimately to igor.

One of the reasons that we left the Syracuse.com board was that they didn't have a log-in system so that a poster was who they actually claimed to be. igor was as controversial back then as he is now, and without your own log-in, he was subjected to a series of posts by people claiming to be igor, saying even more controversial (idiotic, really) things than he ordinarily would say.

I was the original moderator on the AOL boards back in about '92 or '93, where Dick in Michigan, Bees, CTO, Cherie, Shoym (real name Craig), alibrat, Jake and numerous other folks first got together. The AOL board was where the legend of Purple Super Cat was born.

TexanMark:

Me too

Think I migrated over as NicevilleMark...changed it to TexanMark sometime in 2000 after moving to TX.

I found the Orange Freaks around 1994 on the old AOL board...and migrated with the klan ever since. RRLbees was this all knowing mythical Cuse god back in 94.

TampaLaker:
yep... back to the old Grandstand days at AOL when most anybody who was on the net used AOL... I've been lurking back to those days... although it didn't seem like igor (lbonn123) was quite so fanatically anti-zone back then... of course, I'm getting older, so maybe I just have forgotten...

utbTOL22:
This has been fun to read. I enjoyed everyone's recollections and OE's list. . I've only been around since early '02... but lurked for awhile before that. Like many, I was driven away by syracusefan.com loonies. The board (in its many versions) has always been a source of information and humor, but it's the friendships I've made that have lasted and meant so much. Thanks to the founders and moderators!

Dgin309:

To add a bit more to Bees post confirming LBonn and Igor.

Igor also had Lbonn and Lbonn3. AOL kicked him off a few times for threatening other posters. He tried successfully to ruin those AOL boards and often paid the cost by getting suspended and banned.

Pete Calvin:

I first joined on the AOL board back in 1997. That's where I met Bees, bonn (aka igor), CTO and most of the other pioneers. Bees then directed me to the "unaffiliated" SyracuseFan.com, then to TOS before coming to Scout. I very rarely went to the Syracuse.com forums as Bees and others pointed out all the tools that posted over there.

ALL4SU:

picked up on the AOL boards in 1996 and was hooked. Though LBonn pretty my drove me off most of the time. I never really posted on the Syracuse.com boards. I looked at it a few times. But it was too annoying.

Studigor:

another hater; another lie

'To add a bit more to Bees post confirming LBonn and Igor.

Igor also had Lbonn and Lbonn3. AOL kicked him off a few times for threatening other posters. He tried successfully to ruin those AOL boards and often paid the cost by getting suspended and banned.'

when i started i was naive. my handle and password were the same. on the knicks board we arguedover many thngsl corey intercepted my handle and i was kicked off aol. i brought a law suit and was reinstated. i never threatened anyone. a forking lie.

DickinMichigan:

Sticking up for igor here

Iggy may be incessant in his posts about JB and zone vs man to man, but I have never seen him once threaten another poster.

Even though ourt paths have never crossed in person after all these years, and even though we agree on almost nothing SU hoops-wise, I've always assumed he's a nice enough guy

Rrlbees:

he may have been a pita at times, but if i remember the whole knicks thing, it was a guy over there that started all the real b.s. didn't he steal iggy's name and stuff or do spinoffs? it's all foggy to me but i remember some guy from the knicks board being a real tool and causing problems for iggy and the board.

Mogui:

anyone who makes false accusations of racism is contemptible.

he has strong opinions on other things - so what. challenge him online and move on.

but he deserves nothing but scorn for calling JB a racist. he should never be defended on terms of his personality until he admits and makes amends for that.

Stuckingbig11:

I did meet Igor once

and he told me that he posts a lot of his contentious material just to get people riled up. So, I usually don't his posts very seriously. Others should learn the same lesson.

DickinMichigan:

See, here's the thing about igor

I don't think he believes half the stuff he writes. He gets bored, tosses out stuff to stir up a hornets nest, then sits back and chuckles at the ensuing mayhem.

I do think he has issues with the zone, and although I think he's a loyal SU fan, I truly don't think he likes JB.

But beyond that, iggy is an internet board shock jock. It's as much to get a reaction as it is for whatever point he's espousing.

At least that's how I've always viewed him.

IthacaMatt:

I do remember a certain popular poster here

who threatened igor to a fight, though. And I also recall CTO saying that although XXX might be a strong guy, she "wouldn't bet against igor in a street fight".

Good times, huh?

Rrlbees:

"XXX" = Andrea

dgin309:

Re: another hater; another lie

That's an outright lie.
On a few occasions on AOL (not including anything that happened post-AOL), any of the bonn handles challenged guys to fights or made other threats. You were warned (there used to be some mechanism there that showed you'd been reported) and then kicked off.
Many were right out on the main "board" or "community", whatever they used to have.
However, one person, I recall, passed along to everyone else that you looked at his AOL profile and then sent him a private message saying "your profile says you're a tough guy, I'm pretty tough myself".

I recall specifically because I remember then going to that guy's profile and thinking, "well, he does sound pretty tough, I wouldn't want to mess with this unknown guy". Anyway, whenever you then showed up on the next board or forum, you brought your same demeanor with you.

Now, if you want to say someone stole your identity and challenged people to fights, there's your out. However, many know better...

studigor wrote:
'To add a bit more to Bees post confirming LBonn and Igor.

Igor also had Lbonn and Lbonn3. AOL kicked him off a few times for threatening other posters. He tried successfully to ruin those AOL boards and often paid the cost by getting suspended and banned.'

when i started i was naive. my handle and password were the same. on the knicks board we argued over many thngsl corey intercepted my handle and i was kicked off aol. i brought a law suit and was reinstated. i never threatened anyone. a forking lie.

IthacaMatt:

The AOL boards were the first one. I was the first monitor and actually set up and seeded the boards for all the Big East teams at the time, not just Syracuse, because AOL still charged hourly, and they gave me free time online for doing it. This was in around '92 or '93. Among the very first posters were Bees, Cherie, CTO, Dick in Michigan, Shoym, Alibrat, igor and a handful of others who passed thru the Syracuse.com site (which was great and welcome at first, because we had access to game stories and multimedia), but then turned to crap because (IMO) they had no password with your log in.

They thought it would discourage registrations and usage, but what happened was that folks started posting under other people's handles (especially igor's) to say the most ridiculous things imaginable to mock him for his just-ordinarily-ridiculous posts. That's what did it for me - when there was no integrity that the person posting was who their handle said they were, they was just nuts. Obviously, they eventually did require a password log in to use a screen name. That is still why they keep their threads the way they do, where you have to individually click on each link to read a thread - because it keeps the page hits artificially high, so that they can charge advertisers more.

Dave Liss was a good guy who wound up working for one of their newspaper properties in NJ.

You should post this on hoops and football boards...I think a lot of the newer posters would be interested in this...as is the stroll down Memory Lane for us old timers.

If the moderators want to change it, they can do so. it wasn't specifically about FB or BB so i put it here. Actually, i have a lot more of this discussion - 28 pages of it if anyone wants the rest. I just posted the part that focuses on the origins of the board.

I think I joined in 2001 (would have to check) when it was the independent Syracusefan board (so not the AOL group but the one after, before any network affiliation).

I was at Syracuse at the time and I remember I spent way, way, way too much time on it. Can’t believe it’s been almost 20 years for me.

That's so funny - I joined the board right around the time that CTO made this original post (the week of the Rutgers game during the Wes/Rautins Big East champs year, I believe). I vaguely remember this thread, but at the time none of it meant anything to me. I was just excited to see some enthusiastic and knowledgeable SU fans on the internet (as opposed to whatever you'd call the internet creatures on the Post-Standard website.

That's so funny - I joined the board right around the time that CTO made this original post (the week of the Rutgers game during the Wes/Rautins Big East champs year, I believe). I vaguely remember this thread, but at the time none of it meant anything to me. I was just excited to see some enthusiastic and knowledgeable SU fans on the internet (as opposed to whatever you'd call the internet creatures on the Post-Standard website.

The Syracuse.com message boards were sooooooooooo bad.

No moderation, trolls, random terribleness.

I thought this would be a great place to post this wonderful story! Thank you Joyce for your support of SU!

Last edited by a moderator:

MY embarrassingly favorite part of being on the board is talking to my friends from college that are or were on the board, but also being in the vicinity of our friends that weren’t.

You start talking about “Bees” and “CTO” and “igor” and they look at you like you’re insane. Lol.

MY embarrassingly favorite part of being on the board is talking to my friends from college that are or were on the board, but also being in the vicinity of our friends that weren’t.

You start talking about “Bees” and “CTO” and “igor” and they look at you like you’re insane. Lol.

Aw, how cute, you have internet "friends."

Aw, how cute, you have internet "friends."

Not just Internet "friends", but Internet friends in which you argue about the 2-3 zone, haha.

It's always been odd when I've met people from the board (and it's been few and far between for me), because of how I see posters in my head. Forget that people are just normal people.

Not just Internet "friends", but Internet friends in which you argue about the 2-3 zone, haha.

It's always been odd when I've met people from the board (and it's been few and far between for me), because of how I see posters in my head. Forget that people are just normal people.

Not CuseFaninVT ! He looks exactly like I expected.

But seriously, at my first Fine Mess, I was getting introduced to people left and right, side-eying them like "Word? Really? That guy?"

Not CuseFaninVT ! He looks exactly like I expected.

But seriously, at my first Fine Mess, I was getting introduced to people left and right, side-eying them like "Word? Really? That guy?"
Same here.

I know CuseTroop isnt afraid to show his picture on here from time to time, and he looks fairly normal, but driving 5 hours by yourself in the wilds of alaska to meet someone you’ve never met before will get all kinds of crazy thoughts going in your head.

Same here.

I know CuseTroop isnt afraid to show his picture on here from time to time, and he looks fairly normal, but driving 5 hours by yourself in the wilds of alaska to meet someone you’ve never met before will get all kinds of crazy thoughts going in your head.

Yeah, that sounds like the start of Netflix's next True Crime docu-series. "They became buddies after realizing they both preferred dual-threat quarterbacks on Syracusefan.com. Little did CuseFaninVT realize that his night out at John's Bar, enjoying many a Labatt Blue, would be his last...".

I met a few guys, a long time ago, at some bar watching events in nyc. It's just funny knowing that you all spend way, way too much time on a message board, but it's the common bond (on top of the general SU fandom).

I've only met TexanMark in person for BBQ here in KC. My parents were like you're meeting some guy from the internet? And gave me a weird look :)

I've only met TexanMark in person for BBQ here in KC. My parents were like you're meeting some guy from the internet? And gave me a weird look :)

I feel bad about this and I doubt he even remembers, but we had a bet on a game (can't remember, it was just for fun, through a thread on the board), and I still owe him beer. With interest, I prob owe him a keg.

I still have to pay up.

I’ve met several in my travels. Next time I visit my plant near KC, we will have to meet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom