The play that lost the game | Syracusefan.com

The play that lost the game

jgeorge322

Living Legend
is mike gbinje hesitating on inbounding thr ball and calling our last to. That resulted in no TO on the last one. Also seone tell mike he can run the baseline on a made shot.

Mikenplayed great but he messed up there.

Also, the "pressure" defense in college needs to be cleaned up. Nova went to the "cant all them all" defense. This ref crew is terrible and always has been.

Agreed 100%, I was wondering what the hell he was doing when it happened and yelling for him to pass the ball...

is mike gbinje hesitating on inbounding thr ball and calling our last to. That resulted in no TO on the last one. Also seone tell mike he can run the baseline on a made shot.

Mikenplayed great but he messed up there.

Also, the "pressure" defense in college needs to be cleaned up. Nova went to the "cant all them all" defense. This ref crew is terrible and always has been.

Yeah, I remember commenting earlier in the year that he seemed shaky inbounding the ball. That was confirmed today. Horribly shaky.

I still can't figure out he misses Cooney when he calls that timeout. It looked like he was just staring down the middle of the court at nothing in particular.

Waiting for the defense to set....that was just, well, ...words can't describe it.

Agreed 100%, I was wondering what the hell he was doing when it happened and yelling for him to pass the ball...

Cooney was wide open and hes the guy we want to have it... Brain fart i suppose

Shades of Paul Harris. Why do we always have trouble inbounding against pressure. Forever.

It took a bunch of bad plays to lose that one but that was pretty awful. Not his only bad inbounds play down the stretch.

Agree 100%, and why is mike inbounding that when he is a better ball handler then mcculough or roberson, and more physical to recieve a pass.? Experience had to be the reason.

1.Not one open jumpshot look off a pass the entire 2nd half though.
2.Nova doubled nobody the entire second half, to help find a jumper.
3. no jumpshot around a screen the second half.,
4. lots of handchecking 30 feet from the basket. when opponents do that to you either your getting fouled held and clutched or they are like the seatle seahawks secondary. Nova even got a few calls from hand checking 25 feet from the basket, but if you notice it was never on one of our guys ready to recieve the pass it was always on the guy guarding the passer, which helped nova.

McCullough bad game Rak got outplayed a tad but hung with his opponent, never seen 5 undercuts in a game before. Mccullough rode across the court on a nova guys back and got whistled then nova went over the back on roberson the very next play no make up call.

That play where nova went down arciano drove right by cooney pressuring him for a bouncpass layup where rak/mccullough wasn't infront of the basket and nova scored in like 6 seconds, also lost it. inexusable.

This team kept their cool and composure even going into overtime though, jb does that as good as if not better then anyone.

Last edited:
The play that lost it, was with 23 seconds left and Trevor tried to stop the rolling inbound and Archie drove right past him and dished it, then was a one point game and only 2 seconds ran off the clock. Not that I agree with allowing the ball to be rolled up the court, but nova was having to use more time against the set defense than they would have if we pressured the ball at he end.

imo,
JB's record is very very very good in close games where he is ahead, I don't mind not making them pick up the ball but make them make a extra 2-3 passes before they shoot atleast.

Missing Cooney was bad, but even worse, after the Hart 3-pointer that cut the lead to 2, Gbinije politely waited for Nova to set up its D before trying to inbound.

Cooney was initially left uncovered. If Gbinije simply hurried to pick up the ball and inbound it before the defense got set up--like every other college and NBA team leading a game in the closing moments does after a made basket--he hits Cooney with an easy pass and Nova is forced to foul.

I know a lot of fans want to identify a play, or set of circumstances, that changed the outcome of the game but in all honesty the number of turnovers we had were large part of why we failed to win the game. We just need to execute better, and we will. We have a lot of young/inexperienced players on the court this year and we observed a lot of improvement against VU.

So, yeah, there were a few plays that could have turned this game into a win (or calls), but I saw a more fundamental issue - but that has improved quite a bit IMO.

For a game that a lot of folks were worried we'd get blown out, its amazing how upset the fan base is when we played pretty darn well against the #7 team. I have no problem going out on a limb and saying that we will remain competitive in every game, we just need to cut down on some mistakes and we'll be in a better position to win games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom