The powers that be are listening | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The powers that be are listening

I absolutely LOVE that they're trying to make the Quad a destination prior to kick-off. There have been half-hearted attempts in prior years, but this seems much more all-encompassing.

Food, beer, live music, the marching band, TVs to watch other CFB games? Wildhack pretty much covered all the bases there. I really hope this gains momentum.

For those that went out to the Washington game a few years back, they had a similar sponsored tailgate which is what I'm envisioning this could become like.

Also, good job trying to get people there early with the discounted food etc.

We certainly can't say Wildhack isnt atleast trying to make football Saturdays fun again.

Scooch, curious how the band is doing numbers wise these days. I randomly ran by my local high school marching band practicing recently and it seemed to be like 1/4 the size it used to be 20 years ago.

I wonder how much longer some of the smallish northeastern private schools will be able to retain any semblance of a big time marching band.

Here in the midwest the public high school bands are HUGE esp here in Indiana. The state competition is held at Lucas Oil Stadium every year and its a pretty big deal. I think the bands start practice the same time as the football teams do here in the midwest.

kids only have so much time. if you play sports hard to do band and back in the day it was fball or nothing else maybe x-country so kids did band or went to the games, now you have soccer/golf/volleyball all in the fall on top of the kids doing fall lax/bball out of season.

Scooch, curious how the band is doing numbers wise these days. I randomly ran by my local high school marching band practicing recently and it seemed to be like 1/4 the size it used to be 20 years ago.

I wonder how much longer some of the smallish northeastern private schools will be able to retain any semblance of a big time marching band.

I’m not close to it these days but from pics I saw on Facebook it looks pretty small. Sign of the times.

Sounds decent enough but $7 a beer might keep me in Skytop

I'm going to sound like an old fogey here but I never got the point of getting drunk at a ballgame. It always wound up muffling for me the exhilaration of the actual game. A couple of beers instead of a dozen at $7 a piece seems like less of a ripoff when you factor in the convenience.

I'm going to sound like an old fogey here but I never got the point of getting drunk at a ballgame. It always wound up muffling for me the exhilaration of the actual game. A couple of beers instead of a dozen at $7 a piece seems like less of a ripoff when you factor in the convenience.
Do you think we could have survived the GRob years sober??

Nice incentive to get fans in the dome before kickoff with 50% food and non alcoholic beverage discount.

Does the team still walk the Quad pre-game and touch the Ernie statue? Would be nice to have a big crowd and hoopla as the team walks through.

I'm going to sound like an old fogey here but I never got the point of getting drunk at a ballgame. It always wound up muffling for me the exhilaration of the actual game.

The good news for me is that I'm an effective multi-tasker.

The bad news is that this effective multi-tasking typically only applies to drinking and enjoying the football game at the same time.

Walk, chew gum, fall down.

Good job by SU on impacting the things they can control. That said I think the sport itself is not helping attendance anywhere because the games are too long and there is too much dead time as we wait for TV time outs. SU seems to be making strides on their atmosphere now the powers that be need to fix the game.

Good job by SU on impacting the things they can control. That said I think the sport itself is not helping attendance anywhere because the games are too long and there is too much dead time as we wait for TV time outs. SU seems to be making strides on their atmosphere now the powers that be need to fix the game.

Agreed, and I wouldn't mind hearing that from the schools. Wildhack mentioned the frequent 3.5-minute TV timeouts (glad he did) and it'd be good for schools to direct blame for this trend.

One Dome-specific thing that gave me pause: SU's partial solution for long timeouts is to show us an in-game "show" with local TV talent? Eh. In the post-Gross era I was happy that they seemed to be moving away from that kind of stuff.

Agreed, and I wouldn't mind hearing that from the schools. Wildhack mentioned the frequent 3.5-minute TV timeouts (glad he did) and it'd be good for schools to direct blame for this trend.

One Dome-specific thing that gave me pause: SU's partial solution for long timeouts is to show us an in-game "show" with local TV talent? Eh. In the post-Gross era I was happy that they seemed to be moving away from that kind of stuff.

Yeah I don't think the schools will complain that much when the TV revenue check comes in

Yep - and 20 minute halftimes are nuts.

That no one will be able to understand due to those awesome acoustics in the Dome! At least they are trying something I guess.

As an aside, it's not entirely fair to pine for the money an ACC Network may generate, as many folks here do, and then blast the lengthy TV time outs that generate the advertising revenue that is necessary for networks to pay for rights.

I'm in total agreement that games run farrrrr too long. I want steps to be taken to address that (running clock for most of the game, etc). And I totally admit that TV ads break up the flow of the game and add to the length. But if people want that sweet sweet TV money, the TV guys needs to make money.

Way back when i was griping about game length, i mentioned that a tv timeout mixed in with a score near the end of a quarter results in something like 10 minutes of inaction. It's brutal.

As an aside, it's not entirely fair to pine for the money an ACC Network may generate, as many folks here do, and then blast the lengthy TV time outs that generate the advertising revenue that is necessary for networks to pay for rights.

I'm in total agreement that games run farrrrr too long. I want steps to be taken to address that (running clock for most of the game, etc). And I totally admit that TV ads break up the flow of the game and add to the length. But if people want that sweet sweet TV money, the TV guys needs to make money.

Agree, I'm solidly on the other extreme side on this. I think the only thing more boring than internet posts about the ACC Network is the prospect of watching the sorts of things they'd air for 24 hours a day on this hypothetical ACC Network. And it'd be better for almost everyone if TV money dried up, college coaches and administrators had their salaries quartered, and "student"-athletes didn't have access to wiffle-ball fields and nap rooms.

But, again, I kind of represent an extreme minority, especially considering the time I devote to watching football and hoops and also posting on this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom