the QBs effect on our recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

the QBs effect on our recruiting

Why would SU request that. On performance alone, he would be 3rd string next year, at best.

Two years in a row we've dipped into at least our fourth string QB. Do the math.

Why would SU request that. On performance alone, he would be 3rd string next year, at best.
It's my understanding that SU has already, or is in the process of completing the necessary petition paperwork.

With all due respect. By any objective observation Terrell Hunt is not good enough for the NFL. His medical exception has a low percentage of being granted and if it is he would not be playing QB. It is very difficult to switch positions as a 24 yr old and his weight is not the only factor of a position switch. Most just can't switch positions and be NFL quality in one yr. He's had 2 major lower leg injuries in two years and his quickness and hip mobility was never his best traits. I just don't see him coming back in any on field capacity. Would love for him to be QB GA though.

His injury history is absolutely a concern moving to a role that encounters even more contact.

Not a shot. Kid wants to play in the NFL. I know because he told me. Ironically he actually mentioned leaving early (this was after his strong end to season Soph season) because you never know with injuries.

All (or most) of these kids that play big time CFB think they are going play, or have a chance to play in the NFL. No different with Hunt. I'm sure he's going to want to come back and give it another shot. I also think he will understand that a position move may be best for him, and the team, if Dungey finishes the season like we expect him too. Hunt to TE is my guess.

He is a really good kid, he deserves another chance to play. Plus he's a great team leader.

I thought about leaving early too but cleaning out plugged up sewer lines didn't seem to appealing... Leaving early? My god.

It's an interesting quandary.

Easy for me to say. But I think I set it straight with Terrell. We’ll put you on staff as a Grad Assistant, or we’ll get you into another program as a 6th year grad transfer. I’d push toward the grad assistant choice; it’s incredibly hard for a kid to hang it up though.

Zach Mahoney is quandary #2. If the coaches think they can win football games with Zach then you put him on scholarship and you forgo bringing in a second QB with Rex. Zach performed admirably against LSU but he knows the deal and I keep him as a walkon and shoot for David Moore. If I miss with Moore then maybe give him the ship. If a lower level AAC school is willing to give him a ship now and he transfers it’s a risk.

Dungey – ship
Austin Wilson - ship
AJ Long – ship
Zach Mahoney – ship
Rex Culpepper - ship

You have to forgo QB #2 (David Moore) because (barring a departure) you can’t have 6 QBs on scholarship next year. PLUS, you have to think about 2017. They’d all return minus Austin so bringing in one more (Hooker etc) keeps you at 5.

Wilson has already been displaced by a true freshmen and a walk-on. I'm sure he is a great kid, but the writing is on the wall. Minus 1

I'm not sure what to make of Long. If Dungey is the real deal, Long is a backup at best for the rest of his career here. Position change? Transfer? Possibly minus 2

So, potentially, you are down to 3 on scholarship (I don't see Hunt coming back) - of those 3, one is a walk-on, and one is coming off an ACL

No question in my mind they will, and should, bring in another QB for 2016.

And 1, preferably 2 more for 2017. It is the single most important position to stock pile talent (not that we have ever had a "stock pile" but that needs to be the goal). The numbers at QB will always take care of themselves. Keep recruiting 'em.

Just because a QB is 3rd - 5th on a depth chart doesn't mean he will automatically transfer to another school. Charley Loeb was here for 5 years and he was a career backup. Nothing wrong with playing for the school you want and getting a free education, see A.J. Long. I could see Wilson moving on after this year if he wants to be a starter.

Wilson has already been displaced by a true freshmen and a walk-on. I'm sure he is a great kid, but the writing is on the wall. Minus 1

I'm not sure what to make of Long. If Dungey is the real deal, Long is a backup at best for the rest of his career here. Position change? Transfer? Possibly minus 2

So, potentially, you are down to 3 on scholarship (I don't see Hunt coming back) - of those 3, one is a walk-on, and one is coming off an ACL

No question in my mind they will, and should, bring in another QB for 2016.

And 1, preferably 2 more for 2017. It is the single most important position to stock pile talent (not that we have ever had a "stock pile" but that needs to be the goal). The numbers at QB will always take care of themselves. Keep recruiting 'em.

From everything I have heard Wilson isn't going anywhere...whether he plays or not.

I'm sure he wants to play in the NFL, but is he on any teams radar?

Highly doubtful

With all due respect. By any objective observation Terrell Hunt is not good enough for the NFL. His medical exception has a low percentage of being granted and if it is he would not be playing QB. It is very difficult to switch positions as a 24 yr old and his weight is not the only factor of a position switch. Most just can't switch positions and be NFL quality in one yr. He's had 2 major lower leg injuries in two years and his quickness and hip mobility was never his best traits. I just don't see him coming back in any on field capacity. Would love for him to be QB GA though.

Hey I totally agree with you, I'm just saying this is the thought process of some kids.

I thought about leaving early too but cleaning out plugged up sewer lines didn't seem to appealing... Leaving early? My god.

I had the same reaction (internally).

upperdeck said:
Mahoney could transfer and lose another year leaving him one last year. hunt in theory could get a medical scholie to stay in school but not play . cant see him coming back to not start . but the RS would let him play someplace else too. for the kids hate to see wilson/long leave but wilson will never play unless 2-3 injuries happen again. still no idea if long gets back to #2, though i think this offense plays to his skill set even more than mahoney's

Was wondering about this. If a walk on transfers does he still have to sit a year? Doesn't seem right, fair, or logical but then again we are talking about NCAA rules...

From everything I have heard Wilson isn't going anywhere...whether he plays or not.

Interesting. You have to respect him for that. The flip side is that Wilson has had a couple of shots in game situations to show what he's got (or doesn't "got"), in addition to 2+ years of practice time. The depth chart and the fact that Mahoney started and played the entire LSU games says enough about what the staff thinks about his ability. I don't know the answer to this, but I wonder if the staff would encourage Wilson to move in another direction/change of positions? It's a cold process, but can the program afford to act any other way?

Yeah, with Wilson at this point, next year he'll be able to get his degree (I think...unless he's not on track to graduate in four years), and he has to know he's not going to the NFL. So, why not stick with the school you've committed to and stay with your friends and be a team leader, even if you aren't on the field?

Would love to see Hunt come back in a Keith Downing type of role. Mentoring the young guys. Capable backup. Maybe even use him on a gadget play or two. And not to mention he'd make a great holder for potential fakes since DixonForHeisman will be moving on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom