The Quiet, almost unseen, Move to ACC | Syracusefan.com

The Quiet, almost unseen, Move to ACC

arbitragegls

All Conference
Interestingly, the 'Cuse and Pitt move to the ACC happened in the open no more than two days before actually taking place...almost no speculation...no social media...nothing but then...it broke wide open...

Don't you find it interesting that Mizzou has played a very public game of leave or stay...and they did so last year and lost out to Nebraska for the B1G. It alsmost seems as if Mizzou is bluffing...the SEC, the Big 12 to see the best deal they can get and maybe make the B1G react...'cause that is where they really want to be.

I believe praise should be heaped on the ACC and 'Cuse and Pitt by the way they did it...they left without a whimper, whine, or blasting the news...they simply did what was best for them without hashing it out in public for weeks...and thereby leaving the emotions of their fans intact...that was pretty cool.

I believe praise should be heaped on the ACC and 'Cuse and Pitt by the way they did it...they left without a whimper, whine, or blasting the news...they simply did what was best for them without hashing it out in public for weeks...and thereby leaving the emotions of their fans intact...that was pretty cool.
Maybe the ACC simply learned from their public fiasco a few years ago.

Maybe the ACC simply learned from their public fiasco a few years ago.

Maybe so. On the other hand there are plenty of media people, BE coaches and administrators, and fans from the other BE schools who believe that what Syracuse, Pitt and the ACC did was sneaky, underhanded and unethical. I would be interested in reading at some point a thorough account of how this whole thing went down. If stories about the ACC receiving "applications" from Villanova and at least 10 other schools is true, there must have been more than a handful of presidents and ADs inside and outside the Big East who knew that something was about to happen. I still question how "blindsided" Marinatto really was (or at least should have been).

Obviously Missouri isn't much for discreet negotiations...

Maybe so. On the other hand there are plenty of media people, BE coaches and administrators, and fans from the other BE schools who believe that what Syracuse, Pitt and the ACC did was sneaky, underhanded and unethical.

Yeeeah....they wouldn't have done the exact same thing had the roles been reversed, right?

At this point, fluck the other BE schools...every man for themselves.

It's a sign of competence from the ACC (which obviously learned from the mistakes of 2003 along with the stuffshow regarding the Big 12, SEC, A&M, etc) and the administrations of Syracuse and Pitt.

The fact is, SU handled it the right way in 2003. And SU handled it the right way in 2011.

Well Syracuse is a private school that doesn't have to answer to public officials who may have a propensity to drop a dime. Regarding Pitt, i have no idea how they did it so quickly with no leaks.

Well Syracuse is a private school that doesn't have to answer to public officials who may have a propensity to drop a dime. Regarding Pitt, i have no idea how they did it so quickly with no leaks.

Pitt is also a private school.

Pitt was a private school (originally the University of Western Pennsylvania). It is a quasi-public school these days.

Don't you find it interesting that Mizzou has played a very public game of leave or stay...and they did so last year and lost out to Nebraska for the B1G. It alsmost seems as if Mizzou is bluffing...the SEC, the Big 12 to see the best deal they can get and maybe make the B1G react...'cause that is where they really want to be.

That's silly. The B1G is not offering. That was clear last year. Mizzou might not like it but they know it ain't happening. Mizzou is leaving for the SEC. That also seems clear. The public way that this move has been handled is just a carry-over of the amateurish behavior of the Mizzou admins and state officials from last year's whoring out for the B1G. The SEC also doesn't seem to believe in working in stealth, as we saw with the TAMU move.

I think the delay we've got right now is due more to dealing with in-house issues for both Mizzou and the SEC. Based on the press conference today, Mizzou clearly had to calm down some boosters and fans in the KC area worried about the uni turning its back on KC and the Kansas/remaining Big Eight rivalries. That seems to have been accomplished. If there's any further hold-up, it will be because the SEC schools still can't agree where to place Mizzou once they join. That seems to be what's keeping the official invite from arriving in Columbia.

My understanding from someone in the administration was that it happened as quickly for them as it seemed from the outside. We obviously kept a channel open to the ACC, but that the way things went down actually was in two days.

ummmm, no.
There are only 17 private schools with FBS teams and Pitt's not one of them.

As of 2012-2013, twelve of them will be affiliated with the BCS. Four others are members of C-USA and BYU is independent.

ummmm, no.
There are only 17 private schools with FBS teams and Pitt's not one of them.

As of 2012-2013, twelve of them will be affiliated with the BCS. Four others are members of C-USA and BYU is independent.

Pitt became a public institution in 1966

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom