The Real Unstated Issue with the Robertson Screen Call... | Syracusefan.com

The Real Unstated Issue with the Robertson Screen Call...

newmexicuse

All Conference
You can argue all day along about good call or bad call. Even if it was a good call it is not a call that should have been made in that situation.

However, the real issue wasn't the call. We need to play smarter. We should not have been getting into our offense in that situation with 21 ticks left on the clock. Much too early. Even if no call & we score - too much time left for them to win the game.

You can argue all day along about good call or bad call. Even if it was a good call it is not a call that should have been made in that situation.

However, the real issue wasn't the call. We need to play smarter. We should not have been getting into our offense in that situation with 21 ticks left on the clock. Much too early. Even if no call & we score - too much time left for them to win the game.

I thought you were going to say the issue was that we were setting up a PnR with Roberson to set up the play.

But I really disagree with your point. This was not a tie game. We were down by 2. We needed to get a reasonable shot off as soon as possible so if the shot is missed we get a rebound or extend the game with a foul. Holding for the last shot when you are losing a game is not good strategy.

Have to go quickly and extend the game. What jncuse said. Tie game, much different story.

I thought you were going to say the issue was that we were setting up a PnR with Roberson to set up the play.

But I really disagree with your point. This was not a tie game. We were down by 2. We needed to get a reasonable shot off as soon as possible so if the shot is missed we get a rebound or extend the game with a foul. Holding for the last shot when you are losing a game is not good strategy.
Yes, we were down 2 at that time, but plenty of time to get into our O with around 12 secs left to run a play and get a rebound attempt on a miss.

Yes, we were down 2 at that time, but plenty of time to get into our O with around 12 secs left to run a play and get a rebound attempt on a miss.

Nope, you want to extend the game. You have to live with giving Georgia Tech the ball back when you start that possession down 2. You score, gtrat. You don't: you can still foul or get a turnover. If you take it down and miss you are limiting your chances greatly.

Nope, you want to extend the game. You have to live with giving Georgia Tech the ball back when you start that possession down 2. You score, gtrat. You don't: you can still foul or get a turnover. If you take it down and miss you are limiting your chances greatly.

Yeah, that's the biggest thing. You can foul and if they miss one you can still tie it up.

That would have been our best chance - we're great at tying games up with threes. Two point deficits just seem to confuse everyone.

I'm not a fan of holding for the last shot when you are losing, score when you can, give yourself a chance for an offensive rebound, or to foul and extend the game if you don't get points.

Can't remember...Did we have any time outs left? If so...take one and get TT back in the game and draw something up.

That's ridiculous. You don't wait for the last shot when you're down by two. Post smarter.

Maybe discussed later but no, that's not the issue.

First half, yes.

That's ridiculous. You don't wait for the last shot when you're down by two. Post smarter.
Well, nobody agrees with me in this thread. Everybody entitled to their opinion. Fact is that they were shooting 47% plus making us foul like crazy. There was no reason to believe that if we score and leave them 10 secs+ on the clock that they won't score right back or draw a foul. I think the correct strategy depends on the confidence in your D. Will any of the above posters who criticized my post tell me that they believe that our D would have held ? To win or tie the game in that situation, if you go early you need two things to happen:

1. We score
2. They don't

If you go late you only need one thing to happen, which is really the better odds ?

Now in terms of the game flow, our press was working, but Jimmy had already shown he wasn't going to press in that situation, plus the press would make them take time off the clock. If I had any reason to believe that if we get two that Jimmy would be pressing then I would probably have to agreed with all of my critics, but since that wasn't going to be the case, I preferred our chances with the last shot plus time for a rebound attempt to win or tie rather than let them get that last shot if we even tie in the first place & then have to rely on our half court D.

You now have the logic behind my post to take or leave.

Well, nobody agrees with me in this thread. Everybody entitled to their opinion. Fact is that they were shooting 47% plus making us foul like crazy. There was no reason to believe that if we score and leave them 10 secs+ on the clock that they won't score right back or draw a foul.
You mean aside from the fact that they had just held GTech to a scoreless possession?

The biggest issue for me is that we have no idea how to use screens. Gillon started his drive too early, putting Roberson in an awkward position. Our guys have to clue how to use a screen.

Did he start his drive too early? I don't know that I agree with that observation. That was a routine screen up high, with the intent of freeing Gillon up to get back to the middle of the court. That didn't seem like a screen where Gillon would rub off and get into the lane.

It was just a poor call.

The biggest issue for me is that we have no idea how to use screens. Gillon started his drive too early, putting Roberson in an awkward position. Our guys have to clue how to use a screen.

I really believe that's what caused the call to be made.

Ehh... not when losing.

Well, nobody agrees with me in this thread. Everybody entitled to their opinion. Fact is that they were shooting 47% plus making us foul like crazy. There was no reason to believe that if we score and leave them 10 secs+ on the clock that they won't score right back or draw a foul. I think the correct strategy depends on the confidence in your D. Will any of the above posters who criticized my post tell me that they believe that our D would have held ? To win or tie the game in that situation, if you go early you need two things to happen:

1. We score
2. They don't

If you go late you only need one thing to happen, which is really the better odds ?

Now in terms of the game flow, our press was working, but Jimmy had already shown he wasn't going to press in that situation, plus the press would make them take time off the clock. If I had any reason to believe that if we get two that Jimmy would be pressing then I would probably have to agreed with all of my critics, but since that wasn't going to be the case, I preferred our chances with the last shot plus time for a rebound attempt to win or tie rather than let them get that last shot if we even tie in the first place & then have to rely on our half court D.

You now have the logic behind my post to take or leave.

This is me leaving.

3738711223_68b9426514.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom