The Real Unstated Issue with the Robertson Screen Call... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Real Unstated Issue with the Robertson Screen Call...

Flat out wrong.

We can agree to disagree. Gillon started his drive before Tyler was set. That put him is a bad place.

Anyway, I don't think the call should of been made but had Gillon waited a little longer, it certainly wouldn't of been called.

We can agree to disagree. Gillon started his drive before Tyler was set. That put him is a bad place.

Anyway, I don't think the call should of been made but had Gillon waited a little longer, it certainly wouldn't of been called.

Again, what "drive?" He was moving from right to left, not toward the basket, when the call was made. It came before any drive. That's the part I disagree with.

Those type of screens get set all the time, all game long. There were 15 seconds left, and the team was working to swiftly get into their offense. But there was no drive. I rewatched it again today--it was a bizarre, game deciding call with no real trigger. There wasn't even that much [if any] contact, which made it more bizarre.

Last edited:
Again, what "drive?" He was moving from right to left, not toward the basket. That's the part I disagree with.

Those type of screens get set all the time, all game long. There were 15 seconds left, and the team was working to swiftly get into their offense. But there was no drive. I rewatched it again today--it was a bizarre, game deciding call with no real trigger. There wasn't even that much [if any] contact, which made it more bizarre.

Exchange drive with move towards the top of the key...the rest holds.

Again, it was an iffy call at best. I'm just suggesting we did it to ourselves by skimping on the execution. That's all...

Not having TT in game is horrible coaching decision. He rebounds better shoots better and can make free throws. Roberson has to be the most nurotic player with JB bashing to be in a do or die. That and taking the press off were killers. And I know cause I won 1000 games and a national championship so I can never be wrong

Did he start his drive too early? I don't know that I agree with that observation. That was a routine screen up high, with the intent of freeing Gillon up to get back to the middle of the court. That didn't seem like a screen where Gillon would rub off and get into the lane.

It was just a poor call.

Like a half second maybe...

Not having TT in game is horrible coaching decision. He rebounds better shoots better and can make free throws. Roberson has to be the most nurotic player with JB bashing to be in a do or die. That and taking the press off were killers. And I know cause I won 1000 games and a national championship so I can never be wrong

He does not rebound better.

Like a half second maybe...

Call was made before he turned the corner. He was moving laterally when ref blew the whistle, then turned it toward the basket.

Still shaking my head over that call.

Edit--BTW, I think Roberson was set. It was close, but it looks like he got planted, but the way the kid bounced off of the screen made it look like he stuck his hip out. That's probably what drew the whistle. Not suggesting that the kid "flopped" -- he didn't, he was playing tough defense -- but that was all it took to give that whistle happy ref a reason to make a game defining call.

Call was made before he turned the corner. He was moving laterally when ref blew the whistle, then turned it toward the basket.

Edit--BTW, I think Roberson was set. It was close, but it looks like he got planted, but the way the kid bounced off of the screen made it look like he stuck his hip out. That's probably what drew the whistle. Not suggesting that the kid "flopped" -- he didn't, he was playing tough defense -- but that was all it took to give that whistle happy ref a reason to make a game defining call.

Robey is a big kid, and it's not all that uncommon to bounce off of a guy like him when he is set.

It was a terrible call. The ref should be sanctioned for that one.

Driving or not, he didn't give Roberson enough time to set the screen before he took off. We do that all the time. It's basketball 101 and our guys seem incapable of grasping it. And yes, I agree that it was still a bad call, but if Gillon had used the screen properly, it wouldn't have put the ref in that position to make a bad call.

Exchange drive with move towards the top of the key...the rest holds.

Again, it was an iffy call at best. I'm just suggesting we did it to ourselves by skimping on the execution. That's all...

The screen was set before Gillon made any sort of move, let alone a move to the basket. Gillon's actions didn't induce Roberson to set the screen. I get what you're saying, I just don't agree.

Driving or not, he didn't give Roberson enough time to set the screen before he took off. We do that all the time. It's basketball 101 and our guys seem incapable of grasping it. And yes, I agree that it was still a bad call, but if Gillon had used the screen properly, it wouldn't have put the ref in that position to make a bad call.

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree. No big deal.

Actually just watched it again and I think you are both right.

Gillon doesn't actually start his drive, but he does take one step to his left right before Tyler gets there. Making JG's defender take a step over as well, closing the distance to robey. A bit of impatience I think.

Still wasn't a foul.

I remember JB holding for the last shot when behind by two just once. And it worked. Monroe hit a buzzer-beater three to win in 1986. St. John's maybe?

Roberson should have never been in the game at the end with his woeful free throw shooting numbers. A defender just needs to step in the way,hook his arm around him to get a cheesy foul call with a few ticks left on the clock.

Bad,bad and very bad coaching decision at the end of the game. Should have had the 3 guards plus Lydon and white in. Do the assistants have any say on who stays in and will he even listen to them? TT is a much better offensive option and free throw shooter than Roberson and was very strong on the boards in the game. Roberson picked up 4 fouls in 7 minutes which tells me he was reaching and not thinking.Zoned out

Even if it was a good call it is not a call that should have been made in that situation.

I thought it was a bad call, but I completely disagree with this sentiment. A good call should always be made whether it's mid-first half or one second left in the game.

Yeah, we were down two.

Eh, real issue was, Gillon going to the rim is never the answer! Never!
Agree but his foul shooting ability lends itself to this

I remember JB holding for the last shot when behind by two just once. And it worked. Monroe hit a buzzer-beater three to win in 1986. St. John's maybe?
Yes...but it was a 1 point game at Alumni Hall in '84.
Great game...best clock management and play call of Boeheim's career.

It was OT.
2 Orange frontcourt starters had fouled out and Pearl had 4 fouls.
Didn't want to go another overtime with Chris Mullin (35 points) on the other side lighting it up.
This is pre-shot clock.
The Orange held the ball for more than 2 minutes...then with seconds to go...Greg Monroe got his automatic corner jumper.
Swish.

By the way...Pearl had 18 assists.
Both Mullin and Raf Addison played the entire 45 minutes.

http://cuse.com/documents/2011/4/11/St.Johns2.27.84.pdf?id=5157

2017-02-20_1758.png

I thought it was a bad call, but I completely disagree with this sentiment. A good call should always be made whether it's mid-first half or one second left in the game.
a clearcut good call, yes refs should call at anytime, borderline calls with the game on the line...no way.

Robey is a big kid, and it's not all that uncommon to bounce off of a guy like him when he is set.

It was a terrible call. The ref should be sanctioned for that one.

After scrolling through the thread, I'm glad I missed it all. Steak & a baked spud on the barby, mushrooms & onions on the stove, and a five year old Okanagan Merlot in the glass. The hand of the Lord moves mysteriously, no? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom