The Run Game | Syracusefan.com

The Run Game

Dick_in_MI

Emeritus Legend
I know that some consider Robert Anae to be some sort of offensive savant, but in his last three years at UVA, they finished 13th, 9th, and...last year...dead last at 14th in the conference in rushing. See a pattern here?

The OL is not opening holes and the opposing DC's are focusing on stopping Sean and making Garrett et al try and beat them through the air. Maybe Tucker is playing hurt and maybe he's not, but running the dive plays over and over is hardly the most innovative way of using one of the best RB's in school history.

Yeah I want to post the exact same thing. As much as Anae has improved the pass game, our run game has declined as much.
The o-line was thought to be a strength but I'm not seeing much variety. Where are the outside stretch runs? Lineman trapping and pulling? Misdirection runs? Maybe a zone read on the DE? Heck try a wake forest slow mesh.
Wes Durham says Anae has never had a Sean Tucker RB talent, I don't know if he knows what to do w him.

Can we bring Sterling back as run game coordinator?

I kid I kid, but The coaches have to see how bad this decline is right? More concerning to me is that GS is a running quarterback by nature. If we’re going to be one dimensional I’d rather pick the dimension that maximizes our best players’ talents.

They have 3 weeks to practice re-installing some counters, off-tackle and stretch runs. Meshes would be good too. They’re paid millions to figure it out.

Dino needs to to get Schmidt and Anae in a room and say “we are incorporating the same exact running schemes as last year, coach Schmidt and I will get them incorporated into the play book and we are going to utilize these schemes going forward into your existing offense”

Like holy hell - what happened from last year to this?? I don’t see us pulling lineman like we did last year. Our TE mang just is getting blown up this year also. Really missing Elmore.

I know that some consider Robert Anae to be some sort of offensive savant, but in his last three years at UVA, they finished 13th, 9th, and...last year...dead last at 14th in the conference in rushing. See a pattern here?

The OL is not opening holes and the opposing DC's are focusing on stopping Sean and making Garrett et al try and beat them through the air. Maybe Tucker is playing hurt and maybe he's not, but running the dive plays over and over is hardly the most innovative way of using one of the best RB's in school history.
I suspect it is the center position. Vetorello is really struggling and to be honest, and to be blunt, has for most of his career. I’d shuffle things around if they can find someone else to snap the ball with some accuracy.

Look at Virginia last night. The Cavaliers were very much struggling in the run game. Then they switched centers at the half and (in “coordination” with Lockett’s injury) all of a sudden, they were gashing us for 7-8+ yards right up the middle. Changed the game.

watching live its hard to tell whats happening but the few replays you see in the dome the interior line play is losing almost every battle in the run game.. I dont think its run game scheme. we have played 4 games and by luck we should have seen a decent run or to, but we havent, thats more than just scheme.

I suspect it is the center position. Vetorello is really struggling and to be honest, and to be blunt, has for most of his career. I’d shuffle things around if they can find someone else to snap the ball with some accuracy.

Look at Virginia last night. The Cavaliers were very much struggling in the run game. Then they switched centers at the half and (in “coordination” with Lockett’s injury) all of a sudden, they were gashing us for 7-8+ yards right up the middle. Changed the game.

This.

Vettorello isn't cutting it I'm afraid. It's really hard to get the run game going when the point of the spear is blunted over and over.

I don't know what other options we have tho.

I'm not sure why people don't know that Anae runs a pass-heavy offense. His offenses will be towards the bottom of the league in rushing.
This is like saying oh man Mike Leech sucks at running the ball..
Virginia last year almost averaged 400 yards passing and 124 yards rushing with a 4.4 avg.
I'm pretty sure we would LOVE offensive numbers like that even if it meant we where near the bottom of the ACC in rushing

Currently, we lead the ACC in passing yards (253.3 ypg) and are 7th in rushing (141 ypg). 2nd in total yards at 394.3 ypg

Offense is fine sure Tucker looks like a normal RB but they will get it figured out once the OL stops jumping offsides and holding multiple times a game.

One time we were going to pull and it looked well timed…we jumped off sides. I think it’s more a talent issue at C and some scheming. Last year the holes were huge.

Anae likes to pass more and he’s incorporating Tucker out of the backfield more, which is honestly better for his draft prospects. I suspect they will make some changes on the line at some point. Can’t do much when you’re getting blown off the ball.

This.

Vettorello isn't cutting it I'm afraid. It's really hard to get the run game going when the point of the spear is blunted over and over.

I don't know what other options we have tho.

We have Illoa but Vet (the board favorite whipping boy) wasn't our worst OL last night. Davis was consistently getting beat like stole something and looked absolutely gassed by the 4th quarter. Ellis is 375 of Charmin softness right now and needs to steal some pages from the Andrew Tiller road grader play book.

I could see Syracuse shuffling the line in the bye week

Unless we have a center we have been hiding I would be shocked without an injury we see anything.. We played 4 games.. more than enough time to be rotating a guy in for some snaps with the main group and we have not done that at all
But no games against cupcakes like Wagner early in the year, had to roll with what was working, you can experiment these next couple weeks

People are saying that we miss Rhino and defenses are going all out to stop him. All of that is probably true.

But last year defenses were really going all out to stop him. And Rhino barely played. So it’s more than that.

the difference so far is that we have had years of struggling with oline play and never sniffed moving the ball.. At least this year we have scored pts even with the poor running game because we found ways to pass, if we had an alpha WR threat that scared teams that would help the running game too. We had guys open to throw to last night which is a good sign because running is gonna be hard vs NC st and Clemson

I'm not sure why people don't know that Anae runs a pass-heavy offense. His offenses will be towards the bottom of the league in rushing.
This is like saying oh man Mike Leech sucks at running the ball..
Virginia last year almost averaged 400 yards passing and 124 yards rushing with a 4.4 avg.
I'm pretty sure we would LOVE offensive numbers like that even if it meant we where near the bottom of the ACC in rushing

Currently, we lead the ACC in passing yards (253.3 ypg) and are 7th in rushing (141 ypg). 2nd in total yards at 394.3 ypg

Offense is fine sure Tucker looks like a normal RB but they will get it figured out once the OL stops jumping offsides and holding multiple times a game.
It isn't whether the offense is pass heavy or run heavy, it's efficiency. If we ran the ball less frequently this year, but did it as well, nobody would care.

It isn't whether the offense is pass heavy or run heavy, it's efficiency. If we ran the ball less frequently this year, but did it as well, nobody would care.
OP is talking about where Anae’s offense has ranked in rushing yards I was reply to that.
Avg rush per attempt yes that is terrible at 3.4 and 12th in the ACC. We really need to work on some of this burst yardage runs we got last year.

Last edited:
OP literally is talking about where Anae’s offense has ranked in rushing yards I was reply to that.
Avg rush per attempt yes that is terrible at 3.4 and 12th in the ACC. We really need to work on some of this burst yardage runs we got last year.
He also mentioned specific things related to how the scheme is different, "dive plays over and over," not just running it less frequently. That's a legit comment. Somewhere else someone pointed out that we're not running the pulls, traps, etc. we ran last year.

He also mentioned specific things related to how the scheme is different, "dive plays over and over," not just running it less frequently. That's a legit comment. Somewhere else someone pointed out that we're not running the pulls, traps, etc. we ran last year.
I never said it wasn’t legitimate?
I was explaining my post and even added I agreed with you the avg per play is bad.
Not sure if you’re looking for a gotcha moment or what.
I’m not “fighting” with you, again was explaining my intent of my post and even agreed with you at the end of my post.

I never said it wasn’t legitimate?
I was explaining my post and even added I agreed with you the avg per play is bad.
Not sure if you’re looking for a gotcha moment or what.
I’m not “fighting” with you, again was explaining my intent of my post and even agreed with you at the end of my post.
Not looking for a gotcha. I just didn't think the OP was acting as if he didn't understand Anae's offense was pass heavy, as you indicated in your first post. I thought it was a valid comment.

Agree but Elmore was out 2/3 of last season. I feel it has a lot to do with Vet at center. Need to move Davis back inside, Vet to RT or Cruz. I have a hard time believing that bleech or ulloa would not be better at center at this point. They have two weeks in practice to fix this otherwise it could get ugly. D is awesome but cannot stop every team with minimal to no offensive help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom