The Run Game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Run Game

My worry is Dino said that he and Anae are in agreement on like 85% of stuff on offense, and one of the things in that 85% is that the majority of your running game should just be slamming your running back straight into the middle of the pile of fat guys.

I commented in the game thread that the running play calls this season sure look a lot like they used to, when we were trash running the ball and couldn't get a back over 1,000 yards... because every running play was slamming the running back straight into the middle of the pile of fat guys.

We have Illoa but Vet (the board favorite whipping boy) wasn't our worst OL last night. Davis was consistently getting beat like stole something and looked absolutely gassed by the 4th quarter. Ellis is 375 of Charmin softness right now and needs to steal some pages from the Andrew Tiller road grader play book.

I laugh every game when people complain about their favorite whipping boy Vett. He’s never graded the worst run blocking OL in any game. And is fact, for the season he’s graded the best run blocker, even better than Berg. Although he does struggle in pass blocking. But run blocking? Nope. Last night the worst was Bleich. Although other than Berg all of them were average or below average including Hoeh who graded very bad.

if you expect to run inside you need those 3 guys to make plays. they are all getting beat over and over. But its not clear that any of the 5 are really winning their battles. And I dont think pass blocking is all that great but at least this year we can pass a little

I laugh every game when people complain about their favorite whipping boy Vett. He’s never graded the worst run blocking OL in any game. And is fact, for the season he’s graded the best run blocker, even better than Berg. Although he does struggle in pass blocking. But run blocking? Nope. Last night the worst was Bleich. Although other than Berg all of them were average or below average including Hoeh who graded very bad.
does PPF show you a grade on every play or just an over all number? but if our best rb is the center that would also explain the RB issues.

I don’t believe Tucker is hurt at all. I’m 100% convinced it’s the Anea scheme change. he has not been known to be a running OC. The line has improved their past blocking and regressed in their run blocking.

People are saying that we miss Rhino and defenses are going all out to stop him. All of that is probably true.

But last year defenses were really going all out to stop him. And Rhino barely played. So it’s more than that.

Excellent point, Chip.

I don’t believe Tucker is hurt at all. I’m 100% convinced it’s the Anea scheme change. he has not been known to be a running OC. The line has improved their past blocking and regressed in their run blocking.

There was a point in the game when the announcers noticed him having some ointment applied to his quad muscle on the sideline. It's that hit he took at Louisville.

does PPF show you a grade on every play or just an over all number? but if our best rb is the center that would also explain the RB issues.

Just the overall grade.

There was a point in the game when the announcers noticed him having some ointment applied to his quad muscle on the sideline. It's that hit he took at Louisville.

And remember you were arguing it was fine to leave him in and keep running him at the end of the Louisville game.

I’d be curious how they graded out last year. Could be they just haven’t taken to the new blocking scheme?

I know that some consider Robert Anae to be some sort of offensive savant, but in his last three years at UVA, they finished 13th, 9th, and...last year...dead last at 14th in the conference in rushing. See a pattern here?

The OL is not opening holes and the opposing DC's are focusing on stopping Sean and making Garrett et al try and beat them through the air. Maybe Tucker is playing hurt and maybe he's not, but running the dive plays over and over is hardly the most innovative way of using one of the best RB's in school history.
Yeah they prefer to throw the ball. They were last in attempts last year.

My worry is Dino said that he and Anae are in agreement on like 85% of stuff on offense, and one of the things in that 85% is that the majority of your running game should just be slamming your running back straight into the middle of the pile of fat guys.

I commented in the game thread that the running play calls this season sure look a lot like they used to, when we were trash running the ball and couldn't get a back over 1,000 yards... because every running play was slamming the running back straight into the middle of the pile of fat guys.
Spread to run teams run inside because there are fewer players there and there is no magic bullet to get around a bad run blocking line other than not asking them to run block. Which they don't want to do because they don't trust the passer because they aren't complete idiots

I’d be curious how they graded out last year. Could be they just haven’t taken to the new blocking scheme?

Good question. I’ll compare in a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom