The Scoreboard Doesn't Tell The Whole Story | Syracusefan.com

The Scoreboard Doesn't Tell The Whole Story

anomander

Living Legend
Even though we won 20-3 it felt like we won by much more. That was complete and utter domination, of a bad Maryland team. If it wasn't for those damn penalties we win by 4 td's +. I couldn't be happier for this group. It really seems like a team that wants to play for their coaches. They may not be the most talented, but there isn't a team that has plays harder.

Here were a few things that stood out to me

-It finally looks like we are reacting on defense. That wasn't the dumbed down version we ran today. That seemed like the same type of stuff we failed miserably with against Northwestern. Maybe the complexity took a while to get a hang of? Whatever it is the last 2 games, and especially today, finally looks like we are reacting, and not thinking. The importance to just be able to go out and play balls to the wall can't be understated. I have to give it to Shafer, Bullough, and especially the defensive kids who seemed to have rallied around each other and bounced back in a serious way.

- Jay Bromley is in absolute beast mode. He has been making himself NFL money the past 2 games. The play where he read the rb screen and pursued their back from behind for no gain is something NFL guys will eat up. He has elevateed his game to a whole other level the past couple weeks.

- The senior leadership Bromley, and Spruill have been providing is something that can't be said enough about. I said last game he played the best game of his career, but he may have topped it today. He didn't miss any tackles that I can remember today and stepped up to deliver what seemed to be vicious hit after hit. CJ Brown and their rb will be happy they never have to see him again.

- The whole secondary needs to be commended. The move to go with more of Whigham, Morgan, and Kelly has really turned things around for that group. Today was probably the first time they didn't let a guy behind them all season. They were left on an island countless times, and stepped up each time. Morgan made an espicially great play in the end zone to bat a perfect pass away when he was left in man to man coverage. Eskridge played a great 1st half as well. Let's hope his injury is nothing serious. This group is finally showing the potential many of us thought they had.

- Even though we only had 20 points I think McDonald called a great game. Obviously we are a little short on talent, but he continues to show improvements, and signs that he will be a very good OC. The first drive of the game makes me think he had something scripted, or at least knew exactly how he wanted to attack them. He has shown the ability to soundly game plan. A few other plays that will go mostly unnoticed on the stat sheet were 2 first downs that although weren't executed, were brilliantly called. I always like to see that we have a play we can go to when it is 3rd and 5 - 3rd and 7. The first was a nice slant called to Esime where he thoroughly beat his man, only to have Hunt over throw him. The next was a little pop pass for Parris that hit him in the hands only to drop it. Both were good calls on 3rd and medium, just not executed. I like that he knew we could spread them out and have Hunt beat them on the draw. I was able to call draw from my couch, but Maryland certainly wasn't since we beat them on it 3 times that I recall.

- Offensive line play was once again stellar. I don't get how some people say our offensive line is a weakness? Especially the women on the paid ACC site that keep picking against us. They said our offensive line was a weakness although we had only given up 5 sacks in 4 ACC games, and one of the best rushing teams in the country. Either way we once again pounded a team on the ground when they knew it was coming. Smith averaging more then 5 ypc shows how good of a push they get, and i don't recall any sacks being given up? This unit continues to improve, and will only get better since we start 3 sophmores, and a JR...(Please come back Hickey!!)

- Morris gave us a nice change of pace. He showed us today just what we have to look forward to. He has a burst that neither Smith or PTG has. He may be the best back on the team right now.

- Norton - Good to see him come back and drill 2 fg's he should make, and did. That was a big fg we needed at the end of the half and showed composure when that crusty mouth Edsall was trying to mess with him.

Who would have thought we would be at 5 wins with 3 to go after the GT game? I always felt players actually wanting to go out and play for their coach is something that can't be taken for granted. Our players ooze confidence (sometimes even when they shouldn't) and this should all be credited to Shafer and his staff. I don't want to jinx ourselves, but I think we get to 7 wins, and a decent bowl. We own Savage, and BC really struggles on the road. Just being able to squeak one out against 1-8 New Mexico St shows just how poor they are away from home. 7 wins would be a great accomplishment, but first things first, let's keep it respectable against FSU

WAR DAMN OTTO!!!

- Jay Bromley is in absolute beast mode. He has been making himself NFL money the past 2 games. The play where he read the rb screen and pursued their back from behind for no gain is something NFL guys will eat up. He has elevateed his game to a whole other level the past couple weeks.

Jay Bromley got the post game interview. Bromley's parents did a great job with that kid. A leader and role model. Exactly the type of kid Syracuse needs to pull out of NYC.

Jay Bromley got the post game interview. Bromley's parents did a great job with that kid. A leader and role model. Exactly the type of kid Syracuse needs to pull out of NYC.

said the same thing after that interview. looked over to my brother and said what a great kid. that was a perfect interview, and just not him being phony

Maryland might be saying the same thing. The turnovers killed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we still out gained them by over 100 yards and had 120 yards in penalties. their offense didn't do anything. i don't think they could say with a straight face that they dominated us

No they can't say they dominated us. We did have more yards. They ran more plays and had more 1st downs. But they can no doubt day the turnovers hurt them more and the score could have been closer.

No they can't say they dominated us. We did have more yards. They ran more plays and had more 1st downs. But they can no doubt day the turnovers hurt them more and the score could have been closer.

they had 1 more first down, and at least 6 or 7 of them came in the last 2 possessions when we had the game in control and softened up the defense. at that time we had around 6 more 1st downs, and close to a 200 yard advantage.

don't forget we also had 2 critical turnovers. 1 fumble right after a big play, and an int right after our defense was on the field for a while

They turned the ball over two more times than we did. As mentioned, we gave them 100+ yards more in penalties. Let's just call those aspects of the game even.

Last edited:
they had 1 more first down, and at least 6 or 7 of them came in the last 2 possessions when we had the game in control and softened up the defense. at that time we had around 6 more 1st downs, and close to a 200 yard advantage.

don't forget we also had 2 critical turnovers. 1 fumble right after a big play, and an int right after our defense was on the field for a while

We also dodged a bullet the whole first half it seemed. They missed a FG then twice were between our 25-35 and both ended in INT's, one in the end zone. Us winning the turnover battle was huge.

hard to not have more FDs when we gave them 5-6 on penalties alone.

I'm still skeptical of McDonald, Morris was running well and then he puts in Jerome who fumbles. Granted, Jerome doesn't fumble normally, but still, stick with the hot hand.

hard to not have more FDs when we gave them 5-6 on penalties alone.

Hard to win by a sizable margin of 20-3 and try to say it could have been worse and not be able to see the other team had 4 turnovers, not us, and missed a FG, not us. We dodged some bullets that first half and there is no doubt, just like we could have won by more if not for our mistakes, it could have been closer if not for their mistakes.

I'm still skeptical of McDonald, Morris was running well and then he puts in Jerome who fumbles. Granted, Jerome doesn't fumble normally, but still, stick with the hot hand.

There was a rotation going so the guys didn't get too tired out. I believe Smith started the series with 2 or 3 runs, then Morris with 2 or 3, then Smith again with the fumble. Both were running well on that particular series, and like you said Smith doesn't have a fumbling problem, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Hard to win by a sizable margin of 20-3 and try to say it could have been worse and not be able to see the other team had 4 turnovers, not us, and missed a FG, not us. We dodged some bullets that first half and there is no doubt, just like we could have won by more if not for our mistakes, it could have been closer if not for their mistakes.

do you remember our 2 turnovers? we had 120 yards in penalties. we were doing anything we could to walk them down the field. look at the yardage. look at the ypc. that's domination plain and simple

Morris did have back to back big gains he could have been winded?

Agree with the OP. Just means to me the defense is there. (Yes I remember the GTech debacle, I'll just chalk that up as an anomaly) Still waiting for the offense to click. Just not sure if Hunt can make it happen. I hope he proves me wrong!

do you remember our 2 turnovers? we had 120 yards in penalties. we were doing anything we could to walk them down the field. look at the yardage. look at the ypc. that's domination plain and simple

Yep, saw our 2 turnovers. But 4 is more than 2 and they had a missed FG. But I didn't account for our mistakes bring worth more than theirs. Turnovers also stunt total yardage.

- Even though we only had 20 points I think McDonald called a great game. Obviously we are a little short on talent, but he continues to show improvements, and signs that he will be a very good OC. The first drive of the game makes me think he had something scripted, or at least knew exactly how he wanted to attack them. He has shown the ability to soundly game plan. A few other plays that will go mostly unnoticed on the stat sheet were 2 first downs that although weren't executed, were brilliantly called. I always like to see that we have a play we can go to when it is 3rd and 5 - 3rd and 7. The first was a nice slant called to Esime where he thoroughly beat his man, only to have Hunt over throw him. The next was a little pop pass for Parris that hit him in the hands only to drop it. Both were good calls on 3rd and medium, just not executed. I like that he knew we could spread them out and have Hunt beat them on the draw. I was able to call draw from my couch, but Maryland certainly wasn't since we beat them on it 3 times that I recall.

His play calling in the 4th, when we were up by 17 w/approx 8:30 to go was bizarre to say the least... 1st down run, 2nd down incomplete pass, 3rd down, incomplete pass... Could've taken another 80-90 seconds or so off the clock had we just run Jerome up the middle on 2nd and 3rd.

Then we get the ball back with under 6 mins to go and Hunt is passing on 1st down again? What?

Again, we lost a chance to take 40 secs off the clock with that 1st down incompletion. AWFUL.

Remember, Maryland needed to score THREE times to beat us.

With the way our defense was playing, all we needed to do in the 4th was run clock and McDonald's calling passes with a QB who isn't exactly lights out just yet????

Crazy, IMO.

His play calling in the 4th, when we were up by 17 w/approx 8:30 to go was bizarre to say the least... 1st down run, 2nd down incomplete pass, 3rd down, incomplete pass... Could've taken another 80-90 seconds or so off the clock had we just run Jerome up the middle on 2nd and 3rd.

Then we get the ball back with under 6 mins to go and Hunt is passing on 1st down again? What?

Again, we lost a chance to take 40 secs off the clock with that 1st down incompletion. AWFUL.

Remember, Maryland needed to score THREE times to beat us.

With the way our defense was playing, all we needed to do in the 4th was run clock and McDonald's calling passes with a QB who isn't exactly lights out just yet????

Crazy, IMO.

Agree. That two-minute drill at the end of the half was a head-scratcher too. No urgency. Didn't even take a shot at the end zone with :20 left. Instead hand off to Jerome to center it for the field goal.

Agree. That two-minute drill at the end of the half was a head-scratcher too. No urgency. Didn't even take a shot at the end zone with :20 left. Instead hand off to Jerome to center it for the field goal.

I think they wanted to be sure they were up by more than 7 with Maryland getting the ball to start the 2nd half.

If we still had Nassib at QB with Sales and Lemon at WR, I think Cuse takes a shot or two at the endzone, but...

With a QB who isn't even close to Nassib with regard to decisions and accuracy and WRs who haven't exactly lit it up this season, I didn't mind them playing for 3 there.

We needed points for our defense.

Especially with Maryland getting the ball to start the 2nd half.

Hard to win by a sizable margin of 20-3 and try to say it could have been worse and not be able to see the other team had 4 turnovers, not us, and missed a FG, not us. We dodged some bullets that first half and there is no doubt, just like we could have won by more if not for our mistakes, it could have been closer if not

Geeze so they had one more first down and two more turnovers big whoop. How many times has that been the reverse? Quite a bit, northwestern twice, Minny, Rutgers, the list is long.

Syracuse with a pretty shoddy offense thoroughly dominated that team with or without their 2 more turnovers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom