The Scoreboard Doesn't Tell The Whole Story | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Scoreboard Doesn't Tell The Whole Story

Geeze so they had one more first down and two more turnovers big whoop. How many times has that been the reverse? Quite a bit, northwestern twice, Minny, Rutgers, the list is long.

Syracuse with a pretty shoddy offense thoroughly dominated that team with or without their 2 more turnovers.

And the score could have been closer without their 4 turnovers and missed FG. Pretty simple concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the score could have been closer without their 4 turnovers and missed FG. Pretty simple concept.

so we don't get credit for making good defensive plays? we had pressure on the qb on both of his int's

5.6 ypc

2.2 ypc on 34 carries

guess who is who

so we don't get credit for making good defensive plays? we had pressure on the qb on both of his int's

5.6 ypc

2.2 ypc on 34 carries

guess who is who

Yes we do. We made a lot of great plays and big hits. You don't get it though. I'm taking nothing away from SU. 20-3 is a pretty dominating win especially when we were the dogs. But just like it could have been worse and the scoreboard doesn't tell the whole story, it could have been closer to. And they made more mistakes. Pretty simple.

Agree - Offensive playing calling was much better and the penalties were unacceptable

I think Shafer has pulled a Marrone/Spence and that Lester in the booth means he has a lot of input on play calling. This is the only way I can explain now (Wake/Maryland) versus then (PSU, NW, Clemson, GTech). The only outlier is NC state. I'm not saying Shafer is the DC and Lester is the OC. I am saying that I imagine those two have enormous input in what gets called and game planned for. It could be that the bye week was what the kids needed to have everything click but I find the overall tone different.

I think Shafer has pulled a Marrone/Spence and that Lester in the booth means he has a lot of input on play calling. This is the only way I can explain now (Wake/Maryland) versus then (PSU, NW, Clemson, GTech). The only outlier is NC state. I'm not saying Shafer is the DC and Lester is the OC. I am saying that I imagine those two have enormous input in what gets called and game planned for. It could be that the bye week was what the kids needed to have everything click but I find the overall tone different.

Some of the schemes on D are definitely different, but I would bet that SS has had "enormous input" for game planning on that side of the ball since day 1. I also think that Bullough is still doing the in-game play calling.

To my eye, I have seen a lot more man press coverages by the corners, 3-4 hybrids in non okie packages, D lineman dropping into underneath zone coverages, and a much better job of disguising coverages and blitzes pre-snap. There seems to be a lot more scheming of "how and who" to attack on the blitzes, and less of pre-determined zone or run gap blitzing.

Morris did have back to back big gains he could have been winded?

^^^ This, or an equipment issue.

Can't put blame on McDonald unless you know absolutely for sure that he took Morris out. Even then why put blame on him?

Morris also just came back from injury, so being winded after those nice gains is pretty realistic to me.

Yes we do. We made a lot of great plays and big hits. You don't get it though. I'm taking nothing away from SU. 20-3 is a pretty dominating win especially when we were the dogs. But just like it could have been worse and the scoreboard doesn't tell the whole story, it could have been closer to. And they made more mistakes. Pretty simple.

Are you two serious? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I definitely like the improvement I'm seeing on both sides of the ball. I also questioned those pass attempts in the 4th quarter when all you wanted was to wind the clock down. I'm sure it takes a while for the play calling experience to rub off on the new coordinators, but they seem to be learning, especially on defense.

One aspect of the play calling I really liked was the opening series, where we came out running the ball with Jerome leading the way. I turned to the guy next to me (Jeepers) and said "McDonald must have been reading the board". Go with your strength.. establish the run... smash them right in the mouth and make them show they can stop us on the ground. MD winning the coin toss and deferring, and us marching right down the field and scoring had to be a big psychological boost for the team.

Not to be the negative nancy after a great win on the road nonetheless but I see a coaching staff that has lost faith in the ability of the starting QB to throw a pass. I think the whole second half other than that ill-advised 3 and out when we should have been running out the clock there wasn't a single pass beyond the line of scrimmage that I can remember. If you don't trust your QB to throw a forward pass you need to either replace the QB or move to a true option/wishbone offense.

Can the backup QB's really be worse than Hunt at throwing the ball?

Not to be the negative nancy after a great win on the road nonetheless but I see a coaching staff that has lost faith in the ability of the starting QB to throw a pass. I think the whole second half other than that ill-advised 3 and out when we should have been running out the clock there wasn't a single pass beyond the line of scrimmage that I can remember. If you don't trust your QB to throw a forward pass you need to either replace the QB or move to a true option/wishbone offense.

Can the backup QB's really be worse than Hunt at throwing the ball?

Could the backup QB's run for 30 yards on a crucial 3rd and 5?

With the way our D vs. Maryland's O was going, there was no reason to throw any passes that weren't guaranteed completions.

we still out gained them by over 100 yards and had 120 yards in penalties. their offense didn't do anything. i don't think they could say with a straight face that they dominated us
The refs can...

His play calling in the 4th, when we were up by 17 w/approx 8:30 to go was bizarre to say the least... 1st down run, 2nd down incomplete pass, 3rd down, incomplete pass... Could've taken another 80-90 seconds or so off the clock had we just run Jerome up the middle on 2nd and 3rd.

Then we get the ball back with under 6 mins to go and Hunt is passing on 1st down again? What?

Again, we lost a chance to take 40 secs off the clock with that 1st down incompletion. AWFUL.

Remember, Maryland needed to score THREE times to beat us.

With the way our defense was playing, all we needed to do in the 4th was run clock and McDonald's calling passes with a QB who isn't exactly lights out just yet????

Crazy, IMO.

I was thinking exactly the same thing

From my vantage point, the offense play calling was OK, but I was neither impressed nor dissatisfied with the passing game, other than actual performance. Hunt had a serviceable day. There were some drops that were on the receivers so Hunt should not be beat down for that. I saw some better throws that went longer than 5 yards, so hunt gets credit for improving. Hunt is not "there" yet, but is certainly doing a stable job and his running game is beneficial.

We are still an offense that is improving. OC is calling fewer variety of plays, sticking with what works and using the tools we have (I believe he has some great plays, but we lack the athletes to execute as evidenced by early season misfortunes). I think that a streamlined playbook will help the remainder of the season as the kids will have more familiarity with the plays being called and penalties should decrease.

As for the ACC refs, we cannot help what they see after eating magic mushroom soup before every SU game, but we can take control the obvious miscues.

Defense was spot on!

Bees - Why are you such a Debbie Downer? We won! things happen during games, ie turnovers, and usually to us. Who would have thought that we are one game from a bowl with three to play? Come on, enjoy it!:)

Bees - Why are you such a Debbie Downer? We won! things happen during games, ie turnovers, and usually to us. Who would have thought that we are one game from a bowl with three to play? Come on, enjoy it!:)

Enjoyed every minute, like every win. One win closer to a bowl game. And Maryland for me is a special win since I lived there for awhile and our past "battles" with some MD fans on the old boards led by TTKeith.

But it's silly to say if not for our mistakes we win by more and not recognize that if not for their mistakes the game is closer. And they had more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom