The secondary | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The secondary

That was big early. Delayed blitzes. Finally got some hits later in the game but Rocco made a bunch of comments on how the delayed blitzes weren't working and just taking a guy out of pass coverage.

That's why I think scheme also hurt some, especially early.

We couldn’t get there without bringing anyone and their WRs are very very good

We were missing our best DB and playing a soft zone and then when we tightened up rozier made a couple of sweet passes and their true freshman speedster just flat out outran our guy in press coverage. We also had 1 big mental gaf by Foster but overall they played ok.

I’d blame some of the drops on weather, bad footing etc but their WRs are. Lights out better than ours. Faster and bigger.

Our guys dropped some balls to.

We were missing our best DB and playing a soft zone and then when we tightened up rozier made a couple of sweet passes and their true freshman speedster just flat out outran our guy in press coverage. We also had 1 big mental gaf by Foster but overall they played ok.

Our guys dropped some balls to.

The field absolutely made that ball slick.

Agreed. It almost seemed like it would have been better to run a few more all out blitzes instead of the delay.

I thought are defense was very good actually

Overall you definitely take it. I think miami had a bunch of weird decisions to run when they could get anything through the air assuming they didn't drop it

Worst game since last season for that group

Guys wide open all game, aided by drops

Curious what we are trying to do out there

Edit- Agree about the injuries playing a key role here, lots of inexperience out there
Butler got burned bad for game winner and foster really looks lost out there. At one point foster is staring at number 2 receiver and 1and 2 run crossing route as corner stays with the one rec and foster also jumps the one too leaving number 2 wide open. Just looked lost today. Has 2 weeks to fix it.

We were all worried about Clemsons WRs but with Richards back, Miami's WRs are a top 5 unit in the country.

Richards, Berrios, Langham and Herndon. If Dino can get a WR core like that to go with Dungey/Devito... dayummmm.

The secondary couldn’t cover Miami talent and our pressure couldn’t get there consistently - and we still played them within one score.

FSU has that kind of WR talent with less at QB. Louisville is a strange beast. The other teams - not worried.

Rosier is not very accurate and their were a fair number of drops by the Miami receivers. Both of those played a part otherwise, this could have been a rout. We sold out the secondary to try and get pressure on the Miami QB and failed and that left the flats and underneath wide open all game. We are going to have to do a better job with the pass rush against FSU to have a chance. With L'Ville, key will be our ability to contain Jackson which I'm not hopeful about.

Dungey was pressured all game we got no pressure of our own Rosier had all day hard to cover for very long
Exactly! For some reason our pass blocking was horrible, even in max-protection schemes. Run blocking was much better however.

Rosier is not very accurate and their were a fair number of drops by the Miami receivers. Both of those played a part otherwise, this could have been a rout. We sold out the secondary to try and get pressure on the Miami QB and failed and that left the flats and underneath wide open all game. We are going to have to do a better job with the pass rush against FSU to have a chance. With L'Ville, key will be our ability to contain Jackson which I'm not hopeful about.

Yep. Concur.

I don’t think anyone has really contained Jackson. That has shootout written all over it.

I thought we did an excellent job against the run, and also kept Berrios out of the game. Miami's offensive line had a great game in pass protection. Yeah, we could have played better, but the defense is doing enough for us to win games. Defenses are going to get scored on in college football sooner or later.

Replaying the dropped INT and that was the game right there. Williams catches that and Syracuse starts near midfield. DBs need to start catching them.

Didn't think about this until after the game -
Considering Devin Butler's experience and talent, isn't it a little surprising that Dowels got the start at CB instead of him?
Just figured he'd have the edge over younger, less experienced guys.

Considering Devin Butler's experience and talent, isn't it a little surprising that Dowels got the start at CB instead of him?

Think it’s more about where they are - Butler’s no 1 in the slot. Dowels is an outside guy. Babers seems to care about this stuff.

Think it’s more about where they are - Butler’s no 1 in the slot. Dowels is an outside guy. Babers seems to care about this stuff.

Agree. Dowels strength is defending the perimeter although his weakness is getting beat on the outside by speed. Butler is much better defending in space and reading progressions.

Someone who I don't think has gotten nearly enough kudos so far is Fredrick. Kid has been consistently really good against some great receivers this season which is amazing considering he has very little experience. Agains yesterday he was great. Only bad play he was involved with was the PI call on him which I thought was bunk. He was jamming the WR about 3 yards from the line of scrimmage. I don't see how you can call that. Kid has a bright future.

Butler whiffed really bad on game wining play at the worst possible time. Must be a reason he didn't start.

Last edited:
To make a consistent jump as a Top 25 program, the defense has to get much better.
We are third in the nation in third down efficiency. The defense has improved immensely since last season. If anything, the offense has taken a small step back IMO. Need to develop those wideouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom