The sleeping giant has awoken | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The sleeping giant has awoken

you would think this wouldn't need to be explained...
That's ok. We all have a common goal, for this team to keep going.
Or good 80s music.
Or maybe this is more common a goal. Now I'm torn.
ILYWm50.gif

I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again here:

We beat a team that went 3-15 in BE play by 12, and that included hitting two free throws to make it that final margin. We did not hold one lead in the entire first half. It was a single digit game with about 8 minutes to go. We needed one of our best offensive performances in quite awhile just to get to that final margin.

Let's not get carried away here. It was nice to win, and it's a nice momentum builder, but beating Seton Hall by 12 does not exactly equate to a sleeping giant waking up. Let's try to temper things just a tad.

the sleeping giant has gotten up to take a whiz

It's not always about the final score.

We played the best offense that we've played in some time in the 2nd half. There was movement, there was good decisions by MCW, there were plays made by Rak and Baye.

Sure, the opponent was bad, but those were basic things that haven't been happening.

This performance doesn't guarantee anything, but its promising to see the execution that we all thought had disappeared.

(Also, no one will probably ever read this message thanks to the GIF above)

(Also, no one will probably ever read this message thanks to the GIF above)
That was great. :)
You're right, you can post just about anything after a JLH gif.
It's neutral, indifferent time.

I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again here:

We beat a team that went 3-15 in BE play by 12, and that included hitting two free throws to make it that final margin. We did not hold one lead in the entire first half. It was a single digit game with about 8 minutes to go. We needed one of our best offensive performances in quite awhile just to get to that final margin.

Let's not get carried away here. It was nice to win, and it's a nice momentum builder, but beating Seton Hall by 12 does not exactly equate to a sleeping giant waking up. Let's try to temper things just a tad.
What you say is true, but if the Syracuse team that played the second half plays like that for most of the game, it's all good.

That's ok. We all have a common goal, for this team to keep going.
Or good 80s music.
Or maybe this is more common a goal. Now I'm torn.
ILYWm50.gif

C'mon Tee... that totally blows up this thread.. I haven't even scrolled down past this post other than forcibly to reply...

C'mon Tee... that totally blows up this thread.. I haven't even scrolled down past this post other than forcibly to reply...
What's more impressive is that either me or JLH has put a stop to all this fussin' and a feudin'

Jennifer Love Hewitt. Is there anything she can't do?
1286785297263.gif

Seton Hall scored 63 points.

you might want to learn something about offensive efficiency relative to absolute score.

you might want to learn something about offensive efficiency relative to absolute score.
Are you trying to suggest the fact that Seton Hall shot 51% from the field and 50% from three might indicate our defense wasn't exactly stellar?

Are you trying to suggest the fact that Seton Hall shot 51% from the field and 50% from three might indicate our defense wasn't exactly stellar?
yes

Can't believe the number of people that don't want others to feel good about todays game. We achieved our 2 goals. First and foremost, win. But secondly, make some shots and get some confidence back. Instead, people want to find fault. Amazing.

Sent using my Commodore 64

have you bothered to calculate SU's defensive efficiency today? I haven't, but I'm betting it was north of 110 (our season average was 87.9 and in conference play it was 97.0)

All I care about is SU put the ball in the basket. Of course it matters who you play but they've been able to get shots all along. They'll get shots against every team the play and this give me hope (and I hope it gives them hope) that they'll make them.

Could be a game-changer.

Can't believe the number of people that don't want others to feel good about todays game. We achieved our 2 goals. First and foremost, win. But secondly, make some shots and get some confidence back. Instead, people want to find fault. Amazing.

well i enjoy finding fault with posters, this is like shooting fish in a barrel.

where to begin.....

Oh Lord

I don't think any of us are unhappy with the win, but it hardly props up confidence. If we had simply shot our season average from three (31% vs 60% tonight) we would have lost. Do the math, we needed James to get hot to beat the Hall.

I don't think any of us are unhappy with the win, but it hardly props up confidence. If we had simply shot our season average from three (31% vs 60% tonight) we would have lost. Do the math, we needed James to get hot to beat the Hall.

Oh Lord

So? Is there a point there? We won. We may have gotten some much needed confidence back. Who cares how, why or against who.

I am feeling more confident after this win, so I bet the team is also.

Incase you forgot, the "negative" responses in the thread are due to the title of the thread about sleeping giant awakening.

All reasonable people are saying is that this game does not really support that assertion.

In the words of Winston Wolf.."lets not start sucking each others quite yet"

ps. to my last post. I just watched the highlights on ESPN2. You just have to look at the player's faces to see what this game meant to them. Also it reminded me how much fun they seemed to be having late in the game. And having fun is just as important as the confidence and good feelings that you can read all over their faces. Also there was a TEAM component that I have not seen in a while. Both from the way they moved the ball around, communicated with each other, the number of assists, the reaction of the players on the bench and the fired up moments that I saw from JB. Many, many positives came from this game. It was a giant step in the right direction.

ps. to my last post. I just watched the highlights on ESPN2. You just have to look at the player's faces to see what this game meant to them. Also it reminded me how much fun they seemed to be having late in the game. And having fun is just as important as the confidence and good feelings that you can read all over their faces. Also there was a TEAM component that I have not seen in a while. Both from the way they moved the ball around, communicated with each other, the number of assists, the reaction of the players on the bench and the fired up moments that I saw from JB. Many, many positives came from this game. It was a giant step in the right direction.
Yes. Great post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom