The solution to our offensive woes isn’t make more shots | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The solution to our offensive woes isn’t make more shots

The offense should be modified to adapt to what's out there BUT, it most definitely is shooting.

It's unacceptable to have two forwards who can't shoot the 3 ball. Marek and Moyer are unplayable on offense when your center also can't shoot. If we had Lydon at the 5, Moyer or Marek could play, but not with Chukwu/Sidibe.

Making matters worse is that Frank/Battle/OB are all adequate and none of them are great shooters.

In modern basketball 4 out of your 5 players on the court at any given time need to be able to shoot the 3. Us having both a Forward and Center who can't shoot, at all times, is unacceptable roster construction.

It’s definitly shooting, especially against a zone. You just can’t drive as well against a zone as you can against a m2m. Duke had zero success driving into the lane themselves. Their problem was shooting the ball from outside also. Most, not all, of our shots were good looks. Just didn’t hit them across the board. The biggest difference in that game was the offensive ability of their bigs which we knew would happen. The only shot we had in this game was to make outside shots.

It’s definitly shooting, especially against a zone. You just can’t drive as well against a zone as you can against a m2m. Duke had zero success driving into the lane themselves. Their problem was shooting the ball from outside also. Most, not all, of our shots were good looks. Just didn’t hit them across the board. The biggest difference in that game was the offensive ability of their bigs which we knew would happen. The only shot we had in this game was to make outside shots.
We had Andrew White III, John Gillon, Tyler Lydon, Tyus Battle, Taureen Thompson/Tyler Roberson as our main lineup last year and we struggled to score at too many times.

Our offensive system sucks.
The philosophy needs change.
You can be an elite defensive team and not be as bad as we are on offense.
The scouting report on our offense.
Defend the ball handler tightly.
Double any ball screen by the center.
Play off the forwards make them make jump shots.

This isn’t is just this year. It’s the last 4-5 years.

Scrap the offensive system we have.
It’s not good.

I still feel like theyre were good looks and open looks even in the lane that for some reason were passed up or almost taken in slow motion and blocked. Not sure what some people want on offense but they could incorporate some duck duck goose still isn't going put the ball in hoop.

I still feel like theyre were good looks and open looks even in the lane that for some reason were passed up or almost taken in slow motion and blocked. Not sure what some people want on offense but they could incorporate some duck duck goose still isn't going put the ball in hoop.
Your right we haven’t had an offensive problem since 2013. It has been good looks galore. We don’t run the same stupid high ball screens that end up putting our guards into double teams.

We run a ton of sets to help get players clean looks.

The offense sucks. Our success boils down to our 2-3 players making hero shots. It’s not good basketball and our offense needs refining.

There are some serious problems with our offense. A lot of it falls on the pathetic roster construction by the coaching staff lately, but still, it doesn't need to be this bad.

I have no idea why we don't clear out on ISO. Battle/Brissett and sometimes Frank, can all get by or be bigger than their defender, yet we seem to have our PF and C in the way...always.

I could live without ever seeing a Chukwu pick and roll. The opposing team knows they can jump Frank/Battle and let Chukwu roll to the basket with literally zero worries of him doing anything.

We had Andrew White III, John Gillon, Tyler Lydon, Tyus Battle, Taureen Thompson/Tyler Roberson as our main lineup last year and we struggled to score at too many times.

It’s not good.

I was more specificly talking about yesterday but even in response to your post, our numbers this year are 62ppg, 42%, 32%. Last year they were 76ppg, 46%, 38%. Huge difference mainly because of the outside shooting. Record wise they are similar because the defense is far better this year.

It’s not good.

If only it were this simple. There are multiple factors at play here in addition to the offensive "system." Although I agree the system is an issue to a degree. The primary factor at play, and it's not even close IMO, is poor shot making ability. This has less to do with systemic issues, and more to do with the individual player's skill sets.

More off ball motion would help. But, the players still need to make the shots that present. Even with a true motion offense, the defense only needs to rotate/adjust to 3 players.

When you have next to zero interior scoring threats, and limited shooting percentages, ANY offense will struggle to score consistently.

Taurean Thompson was the player we needed against the zone yesterday. He was the perfect player to play the high post. I didn’t like putting Brissett and Howard there because they are our two best shooters and Duke wasn’t going to guard Marek or Moyer on the wing.

The thing with playing against zone is there’s only so many plays you can run. For us we are such a weak passing and shooting team we were in trouble.

Last edited:
Attack the zone through the high post with a tall guy who can make a 10 footer and pass. Ya got one? Yeah, we got one.
We tried that early. Hit the first shot then proceeded to miss the next two and turn it over twice. Probably should have stuck with it a little longer but it wasn't working.

Would prefer Marek taking wide open threes than some of the very difficult threes taken by Tyus and Frank. Marek is so left alone he could shoot flat footed

There are some serious problems with our offense. A lot of it falls on the pathetic roster construction by the coaching staff lately, but still, it doesn't need to be this bad.

I have no idea why we don't clear out on ISO. Battle/Brissett and sometimes Frank, can all get by or be bigger than their defender, yet we seem to have our PF and C in the way...always.

I could live without ever seeing a Chukwu pick and roll. The opposing team knows they can jump Frank/Battle and let Chukwu roll to the basket with literally zero worries of him doing anything.

You can't do isolation plays against a zone. Duke zoned us the whole game, except for when they pressed.

You can't do isolation plays against a zone. Duke zoned us the whole game, except for when they pressed.

And most of the time their press was a containment press, designed to get us into our offense with a shorter shot clock.

Our approach tonight wasn’t any different than any other teams against a 2-3 zone.

300% incorrect, unless you're referring to poorly coached teams with inferior players only

Benchmarked against teams with limited interior skills this is only 150% incorrect

Just my opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom