The Spring Game as a fan-oriented event... | Syracusefan.com

The Spring Game as a fan-oriented event...

OrangeAl

2023 Cali Award Receiving Touchdowns
is pretty lousy. They start the game 15 minutes before the announced time. They play running time. They split the squad in ways that minimize any chemistry the units have (like OL). The result is no offensive scoring at all and very little in the way of ball control. Best part of it was the free admission. I drove 2 and a half hours to get there and it hardly seems like it was worth it.

Well said, I thought I missed a day light savings switch when I arrived. Also drove 2 hours. I hate how I always have to explain/convince my girlfriend why we make this trip every year. And the administration wonders why I am not renewing my season tickets this year.

is pretty lousy. They start the game 15 minutes before the announced time. They play running time. They split the squad in ways that minimize any chemistry the units have (like OL). The result is no offensive scoring at all and very little in the way of ball control. Best part of it was the free admission. I drove 2 and a half hours to get there and it hardly seems like it was worth it.

I got ya beat -- I drove Almost 4 hours each way and watched a game lasting 1 hour 15 minutes in between. That was the quickest spring game in the history of man. The running clock was driving me freakin' nuts. Oh well, it was good to see a little bit of football

I'll grant you that the scrimmage started without notice and a bit early.

But, are you really serious that you expect Marrone to tailor the event in order to be exciting for fans? Or to make it real contest?

I recall that the "fun and games for the fans" thing was tried during Robinson's last spring, complete with contests and two DJs hosting the thing - we walked out it was so bad.

You go these events to watch player development - to see young guys get on the field - to see if players are bigger, stronger, faster than they were the year before - to get a feel for what the coaches are trying to develope in terms of scheme.

I drove four hours to the game and I thought it was well worth it.

Well said, I thought I missed a day light savings switch when I arrived. Also drove 2 hours. I hate how I always have to explain/convince my girlfriend why we make this trip every year. And the administration wonders why I am not renewing my season tickets this year.

Where is Bees????!!!

One guy didn't renew because of the $7 processing fee and now this guy is not renewing his season tickets because he didn't enjoy the spring scrimmage?

Wow.

He won't attend games but will drive two hours for something he hates because it's free?

Wow.

What did you expect? A massage by a female cheerleader? A tour of the Dome by Doug Marrone? A chance to call some plays from the booth?

MarronesPlan - Obviously I have no idea who you are and don't mean to come down on you, but are you one of the posters complaining that spring practice was closed this year?

I wonder what people really expect? It's practice!! (I sound like Allen Iverson, I know, but that's what it is and what it should be)

Reminds me of when I brought my then girlfriend to watch the 2010 spring game. She thought It was the stupidest thing ever. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I have a good feeling about the team this year (Though the offense still needs to get their together). But I fully agree with the point that what people came to see today wasn't very exciting (A few bright spots).

I can't believe they started it 15 minutes before the announced time. That's pretty bad.

Spring games are never very exciting, but I always liked to see who has improved. I have been to quite a few and realize it isn't for the fans. However, I can definitely understand why someone would be upset that it started 15 minutes early. There have been plenty of times when I leave Feagan's or Lucy's in order to arrive at the Dome just before the start of a game.

Where is Bees????!!!

One guy didn't renew because of the $7 processing fee and now this guy is not renewing his season tickets because he didn't enjoy the spring scrimmage?

I'm back and I'm here after an 8 day vacation with no internet. :)

Again, I think you and others take what people say and embellish it. Nobody said they weren't renewing BECAUSE of the $7 fee and Marronesplan didn't say he wasn't renewing BECAUSE he didn't enjoy the spring game.

I recall that the "fun and games for the fans" thing was tried during Robinson's last spring, complete with contests and two DJs hosting the thing - we walked out it was so bad.
LOL. The most refreshing thing was the absence of commercials and gimmicks. But all of a sudden in the middle of nowhere they started playing that techno music "pep" song and I thought I was going to puke.

The spring game is always going to be presented as a chance to watch the team practice, rather than as a polished event, but they really could do better with a little effort.

Does anyone have any experience with other schools' spring game presentations for comparison?

LOL. The most refreshing thing was the absence of commercials and gimmicks. But all of a sudden in the middle of nowhere they started playing that techno music "pep" song and I thought I was going to puke.

The spring game is always going to be presented as a chance to watch the team practice, rather than as a polished event, but they really could do better with a little effort.

Does anyone have any experience with other schools' spring game presentations for comparison?

Yes, Indiana University.

Pretty much the same thing.

And I have watched the Big Ten Network this week with NW and Iowa. Again, pretty much the same thing.

Where is Bees????!!!

Wow.

He won't attend games but will drive two hours for something he hates because it's free?

Wow.

What did you expect? A massage by a female cheerleader? A tour of the Dome by Doug Marrone? A chance to call some plays from the booth?

MarronesPlan - Obviously I have no idea who you are and don't mean to come down on you, but are you one of the posters complaining that spring practice was closed this year?

I wonder what people really expect? It's practice!! (I sound like Allen Iverson, I know, but that's what it is and what it should be)

OrangePA...I always enjoy reading your posts on the football specifics of the program but this myopic view of the program and what is happening is a problem.

There are people who are going to complain for the sake of it. There are people who are going to whine about the program because that is what they do. They are never going to be satiated.

However, when you see a repeated series of bungles at a critical stage in the program that needs fannies in the seats there are serious issues. There are some trends that are creating a drip...drip...drip effect that is having a negative effect on the program.

Whether it is added fees, a perception of moving more desirable games, etc. it cannot be seen as a positive. However, you throw in a spring game that is advertised to start at a certain time, an autograph session that was apparently a big disappointment to people who were looking forward to it and a few other slights and there is a problem that should not be downplayed.

My personal feeling is this would be much easier to stomach for some people if the team did not have such a poor finish last season. Frankly, the Pinstripe Bowl performance two years ago washed away another poor conclusion to the season.

Personally, I do not care that practices were closed. If the coach thinks that was better for the team, I am completely behind it. However, to have the first open practice in another city justifiably could irk some. Just a pr mis step.

I go to events like the Spring Game for the same reason you do...but we are in the minority. As a result, the event should be more fan oriented. For crying out loud...starting it early is a major gaffe...plain and simple.

I have seen Coach Marrone speak a number of times and have always been very impressed. He is a Syracuse guy through and through and I want him, and SU, to succeed very badly. I am starting to worry that the good faith and hope that a lot of people had three years ago is growing thin and I just hope that some of these issues do not drive away people who can help create the Dome field advantage we desperately need.

SUOrange44

Again, I think you and others take what people say and embellish it. Nobody said they weren't renewing BECAUSE of the $7 fee and Marronesplan didn't say he wasn't renewing BECAUSE he didn't enjoy the spring game.

I don't know Bees.

Marronesplan said "and you wonder why I did not renew my tickets" after bashing the spring game- that that is why he cancelled.

Having said that, it does sound like many don't renew tickets because of the cost - and the cost is ridiculously low. I saw signs in the Dome today for season tickets I think for less than $200.

That's one hockey game in Philly for gosh sakes.

I wish we could magically transport all SU Football fans to Philadelphia. After the $10 beers, $7 fries, $7 hot dogs, $20 parking and the $$$$$$$$ tickets they would run back to Syracuse University.

SU Football is the best value of any major league sporting event that I have attended. I wish SU fans truly appreciated what a great value it is. For me, I want to win badly, but win or lose I love SU Football games in the Dome. And I'd pay whatever to keep going.

OrangePA...I always enjoy reading your posts on the football specifics of the program but this myopic view of the program and what is happening is a problem.

There are people who are going to complain for the sake of it. There are people who are going to whine about the program because that is what they do. They are never going to be satiated.

However, when you see a repeated series of bungles at a critical stage in the program that needs fannies in the seats there are serious issues. There are some trends that are creating a drip...drip...drip effect that is having a negative effect on the program.

Whether it is added fees, a perception of moving more desireable

You're right. There are many who will complain about everything.

I am more and more convinced that the only real solution now is winning.

When the team wins - and wins consistently - the nayayers who gave up their tix will be back - it happened in the early 1980s when Coach Mac was drawing less than 30,000 to the games and then started winning consistently.

So, we'll just have to be patient.

In the meantime we will hear about processing fees and boring spring games and bad tailgating, our offensive system and Marrone's sideline demeanor.

For me it gets tough to read after awhile.

On the positive side, the free food at Club 44 was delicious. Lobster salad, big scrimp, chocolate pastries, pulled pork sandwiches, sliders, pepperoni and cheese and crackers, even celery sticks. Weird that they were giving food away while the concession stands were also open and doing a brisk business.

I agree starting the 'game' early was not a good move but if you have ever been to a practice or read about a practice, you really should know that everything starts early at practice in the DM era. If they say it starts at 10 AM and we want to see it all, you better get there at 9:30 AM. Remember this for next time because I don't think it is going to change.

Whether it is added fees, a perception of moving more desirable games, etc. it cannot be seen as a positive. However, you throw in a spring game that is advertised to start at a certain time, an autograph session that was apparently a big disappointment to people who were looking forward to it and a few other slights and there is a problem that should not be downplayed.

My personal feeling is this would be much easier to stomach for some people if the team did not have such a poor finish last season. Frankly, the Pinstripe Bowl performance two years ago washed away another poor conclusion to the season.

Personally, I do not care that practices were closed. If the coach thinks that was better for the team, I am completely behind it. However, to have the first open practice in another city justifiably could irk some. Just a pr mis step.

I go to events like the Spring Game for the same reason you do...but we are in the minority. As a result, the event should be more fan oriented. For crying out loud...starting it early is a major gaffe...plain and simple.

I have seen Coach Marrone speak a number of times and have always been very impressed. He is a Syracuse guy through and through and I want him, and SU, to succeed very badly. I am starting to worry that the good faith and hope that a lot of people had three years ago is growing thin and I just hope that some of these issues do not drive away people who can help create the Dome field advantage we desperately need.

SUOrange44

Exactly, taking what people say and put a spin on it and then come out against a phony made up premise!

People aren't renewing for those small reasons. Pile all those small reasons up on top of others and the losing year after year and you feel like SU football just kicks ya in the nuts time after time after time after time with all of this petty BS and after a while you just throw your hands up and say, "I QUIT"

The welcome is wearing thin (I was one of his supporters and he's losing me) The firing of assistents and the revolveing door of them,The secrecy, The non emotion on the sidelines of Games,Bad Game decisions. I thought he might step in as a Head Coach but it shows how valuable being a Head Coach beforehand is, Whether DIV 1,2,3 :eek:

Maybe they should have kept the Spring Game closed like the practices? Not saying that to be smarmy. Legit, if the AD didn't want to put the resources into trying to make it an event (which I recognize would not have been cheap or easy given the marketplace for SU football), why even have the event public?

Maybe they should have kept the Spring Game closed like the practices? Not saying that to be smarmy. Legit, if the AD didn't want to put the resources into trying to make it an event (which I recognize would not have been cheap or easy given the marketplace for SU football), why even have the event public?

All they had to do is what they advertised. Start it on time. Do a little autograph thing after the event (really for the kids in attendance) and do it well.

They didn't need any bells and whistles around this, they just had to do what they said they were going to do. And they failed all around!

Once again people head up to the Dome for something football related and end up leaving upset, disappointed, and not happy!

I haven't been to a spring game in quite a few years. I love a "real game" format but can understand a staff's desire to chunk it up differently. Any format other than game-style is a bit more boring to me.

The last one I went to I brought my wife and her best friend ( who was visiting from out of town). It was one of those offense vs defense games with crazy scoring schemes & man was it boring. It was so bad my wife made me take them rug shopping afterward. We ended up buying a $500 rug from Shehadi. I'll never go to another spring game until they play it as a real game & I'll never, ever bring my wife again.

I don't know Bees.

Marronesplan said "and you wonder why I did not renew my tickets" after bashing the spring game- that that is why he cancelled.

Having said that, it does sound like many don't renew tickets because of the cost - and the cost is ridiculously low. I saw signs in the Dome today for season tickets I think for less than $200.

That's one hockey game in Philly for gosh sakes.

I wish we could magically transport all SU Football fans to Philadelphia. After the $10 beers, $7 fries, $7 hot dogs, $20 parking and the $$$$$$$$ tickets they would run back to Syracuse University.

SU Football is the best value of any major league sporting event that I have attended. I wish SU fans truly appreciated what a great value it is. For me, I want to win badly, but win or lose I love SU Football games in the Dome. And I'd pay whatever to keep going.

First of all I never said I wouldn't renew my tickets as a result of this spring game. My point of association with this spring game is due to the fact that this spring game is put on to....attract season ticket holders. At the next spring game, notice the ticket signs in each section and you'll see what I mean.

This event has two purposes. For most of us on this message board it is a chance to evaluate this team. However, for the vast majority of fans, it is an opportunity for the university to sell a product and encourage fan support by purchasing season tickets. It makes there job more difficult, when your family shows up at noon looking for a good product, but the 1st quarter is almost half over. It also makes the job more difficult when 500 less fans show up to this event. This may be because of last years record but more than that it is because of closed practices, no fan support by the administration and then a lackluster event by the administration as seen yesterday. Maybe it is time for a new marketing plan instead of TGD's wife running it.

For the record, even though I am giving up my season tickets, I plan to be at many of the games. My reason for giving them up this year (and I will repurchase next year regardless of record) is because 2 Friday night games and a game in NYC make it difficult to attend due to work schedules etc. From purely a monetary standpoint, it doesn't make since for me to purchase season tickets for two actual home games in Northwestern and Louisville. I know the truth hurts and I am not blaming the university entirely because of this schedule but it is what it is. They've made too many mistakes with this schedule in the past and it is finally catching up with them.

There's no excuse for not starting at the designated time, and having a nice autograph session. If some casual fans from the city decided to show up at 12, only to find that they've missed a solid chunk of play, they'd be very turned off.

Also, what they should do is run 1rst vs 2nd teams. The 1rst team offense vs the 2nd team defense will allow for more big plays, and a more entertained crowd.