the student turnout | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

the student turnout

At least the students don't dress up. Girls in heels and guys in ties is the durn strangest thing I've ever seen at a college football game. It's a southern thing.
good point

Oh COME ON.

85% of these kids are exclusively Yanks/Sawwwwks fans if they're sports fans at all.

They have 4 years to learn 10,000 things INCLUDING how much of a boost the student section can be... just like the team has to learn how to win.

at "home to the dome" all the freshman are taught to do the key shaking on 3rd down. they do this when they are going over all the SU traditions.

so blame the guy at home to the dome who is planting this idea in the kids heads. i think it's "Mr. Excitement"

I am a sophomore and remember this from home to the dome last year. I agree it is absolutely idiotic and make sure to tell the people around me...but there really is not a lot of hope of getting it to stop imo.

There were no key "traditions" during my time at SU (class of '96). It's especially dumb if they "borrowed" the idea from another school.

With that said, yes the student section looked great! I think this win will do wonders for correcting the early leaver crowd. And the freshmen.

There were no key "traditions" during my time at SU (class of '96). It's especially dumb if they "borrowed" the idea from another school.

The key tradition started when Key Bank became a sponsor. :noidea:

The key tradition started when Key Bank became a sponsor. :noidea:
Don't think so...the cheerleaders had signs saying "Shake Your Keys" when I was in school and I am the class of '93. Then again, they also had a sign that read "Den-fense".

You are right though, it has more of an overall official embrace due to the Key Bank sponsorship.

SUOrange44

I'll admit I did the key thing when I was a student (99-03) but, even when I was doing it, I knew how absurd it was. I was drunk most of the time, though, so I didn't really care.

And for the record, I never, ever left a game early. That's just lazy and ridiculous.

at "home to the dome" all the freshman are taught to do the key shaking on 3rd down. they do this when they are going over all the SU traditions.

so blame the guy at home to the dome who is planting this idea in the kids heads. i think it's "Mr. Excitement"

I am a sophomore and remember this from home to the dome last year. I agree it is absolutely idiotic and make sure to tell the people around me...but there really is not a lot of hope of getting it to stop imo.

Otto's Army took over HTTD this year, and we didn't teach the keys. I'm assuming most of the shakers were upperclassmen.

Otto's Army took over HTTD this year, and we didn't teach the keys. I'm assuming most of the shakers were upperclassmen.

Don't sweat the key thing. Sure it's stupid, but there roughly 14,000,000 things to worry about with SU football before we get to that!

BK, does the Army teach the fight song and the alma mater? As a former band geek (and current general geek) I think that's a ton more important.

It would be pretty cool if Otto's Army could get as many students as possible to repurpose old Army helmets (hell, even plastic ones) and paint an "S" on the side. If there were hundreds or thousands of students wearing Army helmets to the game I think that would look really freakin' cool. I know you guys had a couple rows of students doing that for a BB game, right? From what I remember that was sponsored by Nike?

Don't sweat the key thing. Sure it's stupid, but there roughly 14,000,000 things to worry about with SU football before we get to that!

BK, does the Army teach the fight song and the alma mater? As a former band geek (and current general geek) I think that's a ton more important.

Yeah, the alma mater was really sweet before and after the game. Almost everyone sang it.

It would be pretty cool if Otto's Army could get as many students as possible to repurpose old Army helmets (hell, even plastic ones) and paint an "S" on the side. If there were hundreds or thousands of students wearing Army helmets to the game I think that would look really freakin' cool. I know you guys had a couple rows of students doing that for a BB game, right? From what I remember that was sponsored by Nike?

Nike gave us those for the GTown game a few years ago, but i'm not sure if they plan on ever making any more. I thought they were awesome.

Man, that army helmet thing is one of the coolest things I've ever heard of for a football tradition that could soon be started. I would buy one of those in a freaking heartbeat if they sold them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom