The Sunday paper | Syracusefan.com

The Sunday paper

SWC75

Bored Historian
I don't take the daily paper anymore, but I still retain my old habit of buying a Sunday paper at the supermarket. You can't give up everything from the past.

Today was the first time i can remember when the Sunday paper didn't have an article on Saturday's SU football game. I realize it's online now but still...

I don't take the daily paper anymore, but I still retain my old habit of buying a Sunday paper at the supermarket. You can't give up everything from the past.

Today was the first time i can remember when the Sunday paper didn't have an article on Saturday's SU football game. I realize it's online now but still...
Probably too late to get it out now, with limited printing and distribution

I hated delivering the Sunday paper, dad had to help me because they were too big for me to handle it all by myself.Miss those days now though.

Deadline is probably Midnight-1 AM

Paper is printed in Harrisburg and shipped to Syracuse.

And half the P-S articles weren't published until after 7 AM this morning.

You can read all about it ... on Tuesday.

It's sad they can't print their own paper anymore, given that they just built that state-of-the-art building with the printing machinery in the window just a few years back.

It's sad they can't print their own paper anymore, given that they just built that state-of-the-art building with the printing machinery in the window just a few years back.
Same thing happened here in Kansas City.

"Late last year, The Star moved out of its iconic glass building at 1601 McGee Street after it shifted printing operations to a third party. The Star's copper and glass building opened in 2006 at a cost of $200 million. It featured four state-of-the-art printing presses and spanned two city blocks.'

What is a paper? I kid, I’m an old bastard but gave up on those rags years ago. It’s nice to hold a paper to read but those days are gone.

The P-S used to have really good, extensive coverage of college football on Sundays with boxscores from around the country, esp of schools on SU's schedule of that season. The Newark Star Ledger was also good for college FB. One thing that is a lost art from the printed paper days is baseball boxscores and standings. Somehow it just worked better on paper.

Lately, the Daily Orange does better in-depth articles about SU football on line than syracuse dot com.

Watching the broadcast of the SU game on Sunday night reminded me of how much I miss Coach Mac's Sunday evening "Coaches' Corner shows with Doug Logan, followed by a rebroadcast of the game.

I guess I just liked 1987 better than 2022. Heck, there was a conference called the SWC!

The built it over 50 years ago.
I too loved getting the paper after the game. It was kind of the official record. Sometimes I’d drive downtown around midnight and get the early bird edition.

The built it over 50 years ago.
I too loved getting the paper after the game. It was kind of the official record. Sometimes I’d drive downtown around midnight and get the early bird edition.

The main building, yes, but the section in back with the windows showing the printing machines was of more recent vintage, I'm pretty sure.

"In December 2001, the newspaper began printing on a new offset lithography press made in Switzerland by Wifag. The 750-ton five-story press allowed for color on just about every page, and the newspaper soon began using the front-page motto, America's Most Colorful Paper. The press is housed in a 45,000-square-foot, glass-enclosed "press hall" constructed at the back of the newspaper building. The Wifag press replaced a 33-year-old machine using the letterpress technique. The new press and building expansion cost $39.5 million."

In the 60's we had the "Sub Standard" and the "Herald Urinal". Great columnists and game articles.

Watching the broadcast of the SU game on Sunday night reminded me of how much I miss Coach Mac's Sunday evening "Coaches' Corner shows with Doug Logan, followed by a rebroadcast of the game.

I guess I just liked 1987 better than 2022. Heck, there was a conference called the SWC!

Thinking of the SWC...there's relic of the days when conferences untied natural rivals and private schools could compete for conference and national championships as well as state schools - and national champions could come from any place on the map.

In the 1950's, Texas won 3 SWC titles but Rice won 2 of them, as did Texas Christian. Baylor, Arkansas and Texas A&M won the others. SMU was the only school shut out from the throne room, but they were twice ranked in the top 20, (that's what it was then). So was Arkansas. Baylor, Rice and Texas A&M were ranked 3 times each, TCU and Texas 5 times each. Texas Tech, who would join the conference in 1960, had a 10-1 team in 1953 that was ranked #12 as what we would now call a mid-major. the games were close and the races wild and each year a fellow with the name Kern Tips would bring the highlights of the year in the SWC:

(It was an era where Rice could whip Alabama, 28-6 in the Cotton Bowl.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom