The thing about playing UCONN and Coach P to me it seems | Syracusefan.com

The thing about playing UCONN and Coach P to me it seems

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
that most really don't care, media playing it up a bit but I really dont care about that aspect. As P said, it was 7 years ago, doesn't seem like SU or UCONN fans really care about the game in general other than it is just another game. I certainly don't

It's not like most SU fans dislike Coach P. We may have felt it was time for him to go, but I don't recall most anyone ever having any personal issues with the guy. So it's hard to really get amped up to beat "him" -- I want to beat UConn, of course, but nothing more than that.

It ain't like when Bill Parcells abandoned my Pats to go coach the Jets. I wanted to beat him with the fury of a rabid bear. or when Rick Pitino ruined my Celtics and I wanted to see him lose at everything the rest of his life.

P? Good guy, what can you say?

It's not like most SU fans dislike Coach P. We may have felt it was time for him to go, but I don't recall most anyone ever having any personal issues with the guy. So it's hard to really get amped up to beat "him" -- I want to beat UConn, of course, but nothing more than that.

It ain't like when Bill Parcells abandoned my Pats to go coach the Jets. I wanted to beat him with the fury of a rabid bear. or when Rick Pitino ruined my Celtics and I wanted to see him lose at everything the rest of his life.

Agree 100%. nm

agree - P would need to be taking shots at SU, stealing recruits, something like that in order to have any anti-P sentiment for this game - but of course he's not, so nothing there

P was and is a good guy. Runs a clean program. Always seemed to care about his players both on and off the field. I wish him well at UCONN but not this weekend.

I want to see us beat P and his team soundly. This is an important game with bowl eligibility on the line. No time for sentimentality. It's time to take care of business.

that most really don't care, media playing it up a bit but I really dont care about that aspect. As P said, it was 7 years ago, doesn't seem like SU or UCONN fans really care about the game in general other than it is just another game. I certainly don't

One team is 3-5 and really bad. The other is 5-3 but followed up its best performance in the HC's era with the worst, certainly took a little bit of wind out of the sails. So it makes it hard for this to be that big of a deal.

Kind of like BC last year, I remember having that circled. Then our offense hit injuries and just fell apart. BC's best RB went down, their QB wasn't very good. It became a blah matchup, and ultimately a blah game. This weekend will probably be no different.

Nothing good is going to come from this game. If they lose it will be more of same negative crap around here, and if they win, BFD.

Nothing good is going to come from this game. If they lose it will be more of same negative crap around here, and if they win, BFD.
not true - all depends on how they win (if they do) - win a game that looks like the Rutgers game and yeah, BFD - but put on a performance reminiscent of WVU or Cincy last year and it puts the UL fiasco in a whole different light

We get bowl elligible with a win. People will like that.

:noidea:

This is a roundabout way of saying that SU fans expect to win this game. Can we at least agree that this is the most refreshing thing that Marrone has accomplished? In the GRob era we were hoping for wins, not expecting them.

not true - all depends on how they win (if they do) - win a game that looks like the Rutgers game and yeah, BFD - but put on a performance reminiscent of WVU or Cincy last year and it puts the UL fiasco in a whole different light
You have a lot more faith in the level of rationality here.

We get bowl elligible with a win. People will like that.

:noidea:

Nah, it will be the same "they've only played one good game/beaten one good team/played an awful schedule" BS.

With Marrone's 850 play playbook and DeLeone's 15oo play playbook - we could posssibly see an NCAA record for largest combined combined playbook in a single game.

This is a roundabout way of saying that SU fans expect to win this game. Can we at least agree that this is the most refreshing thing that Marrone has accomplished? In the GRob era we were hoping for wins, not expecting them.

I think its are most even match up of the year, I know people will say I am crazy but Vegas agrees. 2-3 point underdog basically says two even teams. It's a coinflip game and would be shocked not if we win or lose but if it isn't really close and really low scoring.

If we lose, I think there will be some negativity because I think that will mean that the offense laid another egg but we shall see

Nah, it will be the same "they've only played one good game/beaten one good team/played an awful schedule" BS.
you're ignoring the wide range of irrationality here - some will respond as you say, others will proclaim SU right back in the thick of the race for a BCS berth, try to determine how the conference needs to play out to get there and who the most likely SU opponent will be in that BCS game - then they'll start analyzing that matchup

I think its are most even match up of the year, I know people will say I am crazy but Vegas agrees. 2-3 point underdog basically says two even teams. It's a coinflip game and would be shocked not if we win or lose but if it isn't really close and really low scoring.

If we lose, I think there will be some negativity because I think that will mean that the offense laid another egg but we shall see

There's always negativity when we lose. It's as if it's new to this board or something.

Or any other board. In any other sport. Anywhere.

Makes me wonder why people who are so anti-negativity even visit a message board? Train wreck theory? Can't look away?

With Marrone's 850 play playbook and DeLeone's 15oo play playbook - we could posssibly see an NCAA record for largest combined combined playbook in a single game.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - if SU isn't ready for that TE throwback when D sends it in this week, I'm going to be pissed

I say they run it when their true frosh QB is in the game.

It's either that or they try the freeze option Rob Moore style bomb when the running QB McCummings comes into the game. Definitely will see one of those two.

Also depends on how we lose. If we play well but lose, I think most will say happens. However if play like crap and lose a game we shoulda won, people will be and should be pissed.

There's always negativity when we lose. It's as if it's new to this board or something.

Makes me wonder why people who are so anti-negativity even visit a message board? Train wreck theory? Can't look away?

We lose on Saturday, I am done until we win another game. I will do everyone that favor, after 12 years or however long it has been here, I know myself well enough that I should not be posting for awhile if we lose Saturday. I am not saying it's even a horrible loss, but that doesn't mean I won't be pissed. So that may be an upside for some because I will certainly snap make no mistake about it.

Negativity when we lose? How about when we win.

Your response to my statement regarding the fact that this has been a total rebuild is another example. You used one data point from one year as a comparison to try to knock down my assertion.

Guess what, if you actual examine it in some depth, the only programs that were as across the board as bad as SU on offense when Marrone took over are Temple, Duke, and Mississippi State. That's it, that's the list.

For the prior four years looking at Total offense, rushing offense, passing offense, and scoring SU was ranked higher than 100th 3 times out of 16 data points. That's what I mean by total rebuild as the starting point. SU's average ranking for total offense for those four years, 113th, scoring offense 110th.

Those other teams you listed, not even close. Those are just programs having a bad season.

How did DeLeon go after an attack type defense? He tried to power it down their throats. Once again our corners have to step up and do their job and not give up big plays and if they do we will win as long as the dline does their job as well. I'd love to not have the Thomasas cheating in all game and still have the d be effective.

UCONN looked pretty good runnin
How did DeLeon go after an attack type defense? He tried to power it down their throats. Once again our corners have to step up and do their job and not give up big plays and if they do we will win as long as the dline does their job as well. I'd love to not have the Thomasas cheating in all game and still have the d be effective.
g the football versus Pitt, we can stop the run. Pass not soo much

The Louisville qb was smart with his reads in the first half, were we tipping off blitzes? Hopefully the UConn qb won't be as smart.

Negative people suck.

Negativity when we lose? How about when we win.

Your response to my statement regarding the fact that this has been a total rebuild is another example. You used one data point from one year as a comparison to try to knock down my assertion.

Guess what, if you actual examine it in some depth, the only programs that were as across the board as bad as SU on offense when Marrone took over are Temple, Duke, and Mississippi State. That's it, that's the list.

For the prior four years looking at Total offense, rushing offense, passing offense, and scoring SU was ranked higher than 100th 3 times out of 16 data points. That's what I mean by total rebuild as the starting point. SU's average ranking for total offense for those four years, 113th, scoring offense 110th.

Those other teams you listed, not even close. Those are just programs having a bad season.

Yeah, but to be fair, that was negativity after a loss, not a win. A loss which was an offensive failure across the board, worse than we've had in this regime. So bringing it back to a major rebuild or the previous regime after that particular loss seemed like an argument for convenience. Especially when the trends, while up, aren't exactly that far up.

It's not that crazy to look at the situation and say if we're admitting we'll have execution inconsistencies because of rebuilding an offense, then why not rebuild it with the new guys you are bringing in, instead of so many holdovers who were freshmen during the final year of the dark ages.

I think the offense will be fine when one of the athletic QBs is deemed ready to take over, or we have no choice but to use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom