The top offensive lines in college football | Syracusefan.com

The top offensive lines in college football

6 - ACC Schools in the Top 50

We faced 7 of these schools in the Top 50 last season

Not sure any of that means anything other than imagine what Sean Tucker could do behind a decent line!

How is this stuff figured out? How is SoS factored in? Buffalo’s OL holds up vs MAC competition - and ok - that’s a good MAC OL?

This list is hog wash. Click bait.

Say what you will about PFF, but at least there is an attempt at an honest evaluation- and it looks nothing like this.

About 2/3 of the way through, here were their top 10 units:
Ohio State, BC, Raging Cajuns, Pitt, Kentucky, Minnesota, Georgia, Oklahoma, WKU, Arkansas.

Waiting for their final ranking. Last year, we finished 113. I'm expecting to move up about 40 spots.

How is this stuff figured out? How is SoS factored in? Buffalo’s OL holds up vs MAC competition - and ok - that’s a good MAC OL?
It's an objective scoring system that takes in a bunch of factors like sacks, rushing yards, passing yards and whether your guy made a tackle for a loss. All colleges (and I think the NFL) use the same system. When you hear about how a lineman graded out for a game, this is what they're talking about. The Jacobs Blocking Trophy, awarded to the ACC's best lineman uses this system to select the winner, so it's not just a bunch of writers' opinions.

It's an objective scoring system that takes in a bunch of factors like sacks, rushing yards, passing yards and whether your guy made a tackle for a loss. All colleges (and I think the NFL) use the same system. When you hear about how a lineman graded out for a game, this is what they're talking about. The Jacobs Blocking Trophy, awarded to the ACC's best lineman uses this system to select the winner, so it's not just a bunch of writers' opinions.
That makes sense. I wonder how they deal with the disparity between SEC OL and a MAC OL? Seems like one of the hardest things to judge. A MAC OL might see a P5 defense twice a season - a pretty low volume of relevant tape.

Do they control for opponent? For example, WKU plays a much lower quality of opponent than 'Bama. So they may generate a higher score but might not necessarily be "better" if one controls for the opposition.

That makes sense. I wonder how they deal with the disparity between SEC OL and a MAC OL? Seems like one of the hardest things to judge. A MAC OL might see a P5 defense twice a season - a pretty low volume of relevant tape.
But you're talking about fairly equal ability. Yeah, an SEC DL is better than one from the MAC, but an SEC OL should be better than one from the MAC, too. Folks pointed out how low Bama's line was rated, but didn't mention how high Georgia's was (#8).

Do they control for opponent? For example, WKU plays a much lower quality of opponent than 'Bama. So they may generate a higher score but might not necessarily be "better" if one controls for the opposition.
No it doesn't control for that. But you're talking about roughly equal ability between the Ols and DLs within the same conference. Yeah, Bama's OL faced tougher competition than WKU's. But Bama's OL has more talent than WKU's based on recruiting grades. Even the WKU coaches would tell you that. Also, while Bama was #49, Georgia was #8, so facing tougher competition isn't as much of a factor. You've got to "understand" (bad word) there are better players on both sides of the ball in the SEC, not just on defense.

No it doesn't control for that. But you're talking about roughly equal ability between the Ols and DLs within the same conference. Yeah, Bama's OL faced tougher competition than WKU's. But Bama's OL has more talent than WKU's based on recruiting grades. Even the WKU coaches would tell you that. Also, while Bama was #49, Georgia was #8, so facing tougher competition isn't as much of a factor. You've got to "understand" (bad word) there are better players on both sides of the ball in the SEC, not just on defense.

Right, it's who played better vs their competition. I'm sure anyone would take Alabama's starting 5 over WKU's.

Bama got dinged for that Auburn game too. They more than made up for it against Georgia, but the OL's performance against Auburn very nearly cost them the playoffs.

But you're talking about fairly equal ability. Yeah, an SEC DL is better than one from the MAC, but an SEC OL should be better than one from the MAC, too. Folks pointed out how low Bama's line was rated, but didn't mention how high Georgia's was (#8).
Right. It's relative.

It's better info, but less interesting if the list is by conference.

Right. It's relative.

It's better info, but less interesting if the list is by conference.
Of course. From this chart:
1. Clemson
2. Wake
3. Pitt
4. UVa
5. Louisville
6. BC

Although Ekonwu LT from NCSU won the Jacobs Blocking Trophy with the highest grades.

I dont think this list is based on anything other than personal opinion. I'll wait for a list based on analyzing each snap. This isn't it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom