The UConn grovelling has begun | Syracusefan.com

The UConn grovelling has begun

Townie72

All American
Funny what a little desperation will do to make swallowing your own words and actions more palatable.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-behind-them/2012/05/10/gIQAxYZ2FU_story.html

The CT governor is obviously being beseeched by UConn President Herbst to see if he can get BC to answer UConn's phone calls. The governor who has been talking to the BC president for a year now apparently hasn't made much progress so now they are going "public". They want to put a little pressure on BC.

The BC AD was unable to meet with UConn AD because of "scheduling conflicts". That must be one busy schedule. (Sounds like a time honored "dodge" to me. I have used it myself.)

I doubt the Jesuit that runs BC is going to be pressured into anything he doesn't feel like doing. He answers to no one.

Maybe when that slimeball CT Attorney Gerneral was grandstanding filing a lawsuit somebody should have said "Lets let this thing play out. Lets not go to war. Who knows how things will work out. No sense creating any enemies here." But UConn wanted blood. And they got nothing except a huge legal bill and it did come around to bite them in the ass. Even Buzz Shaw couldn't control himself.

Jim Calhoun had to put his two cents in, of course. Not surprising. Of course, he has so many problems eating these words is the least of them.

Even the UConn Governor couldn't play it smart. He said "both schools" have done wrong things. That's not the way to approach the matter, Gov. You are the one with your hat in your hand.

yeah...because BC is a real power-broker in the ACC

That'd be like ECU going to DePaul to try and gain entrance into the Big East

yeah...because BC is a real power-broker in the ACC

That'd be like ECU going to DePaul to try and gain entrance into the Big East

If what you say is true --- and it may be --- it makes this grovelling by UConn even more pathetic.

Of course its consistent with th UConn presidents whirlwind tour of BC and the rest of the ACC trying to sell UConn membership as an ACC member.

But I think they want 1.) games against BC in football and basketball 2.) BC's support as the look to join Hockey East 3.) BC taking their ACC "Indian sign" off of them.

UConn appears --- by their actions --- to believe this isn't like ECU going to DePaul to gain membership in the Big East.

I doubt the Jesuit that runs BC is going to be pressured into anything he doesn't feel like doing. He answers to no one.

Whoa! Jesuits all report to the Superior General (the head of the Jesuits). He, in turn, reports directly to the Pope. And I guess you could say the Pope reports directly to God. ;) So yeah...I can understand that he might have some scheduling conflicts.

Besides, what Jesuit would want to meet with a president of a university that has Calhoun Lucifer on the payroll? UConn already struck a deal with the devil; they extended their deal with Calhoun.

I'm
Most won't agree, but if the ACC goes to 16, I hope UConn gets in along with ND joining.
If the ACC goes to 16, I agree that Uconn and ND would be the schools I would want in, even thou I dislike ND for many reasons.

honestly, i'm 50/50 between either UConn or Rutgers moving to the ACC...along with ND. Arguments can be made for and against either.

Funny what a little desperation will do to make swallowing your own words and actions more palatable.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-behind-them/2012/05/10/gIQAxYZ2FU_story.html

The CT governor is obviously being beseeched by UConn President Herbst to see if he can get BC to answer UConn's phone calls. The governor who has been talking to the BC president for a year now apparently hasn't made much progress so now they are going "public". They want to put a little pressure on BC.

The BC AD was unable to meet with UConn AD because of "scheduling conflicts". That must be one busy schedule. (Sounds like a time honored "dodge" to me. I have used it myself.)

Maybe when that slimeball CT Attorney Gerneral was grandstanding filing a lawsuit somebody should have said "Lets let this thing play out. Lets not go to war. Who knows how things will work out. No sense creating any enemies here." But UConn wanted blood. And they got nothing except a huge legal bill and it did come around to bite them in the ass. Even Buzz Shaw couldn't control himself.

Jim Calhoun had to put his two cents in, of course. Not surprising. Of course, he has so many problems eating these words is the least of them.

Even the UConn Governor couldn't play it smart. He said "both schools" have done wrong things. That's not the way to approach the matter, Gov. You are the one with your hat in your hand.

FWIW, Malloy is a BC alumnus.

If what you say is true --- and it may be --- it makes this grovelling by UConn even more pathetic.

Of course its consistent with th UConn presidents whirlwind tour of BC and the rest of the ACC trying to sell UConn membership as an ACC member.

But I think they want 1.) games against BC in football and basketball 2.) BC's support as the look to join Hockey East 3.) BC taking their ACC "Indian sign" off of them.

UConn appears --- by their actions --- to believe this isn't like ECU going to DePaul to gain membership in the Big East.

I remember reading that BC didn't want competition...that they wanted the New England market for themselves. While they may not be a power broker, I guess its reasonable to say they have some influence in the decision making process.

honestly, i'm 50/50 between either UConn or Rutgers moving to the ACC...along with ND. Arguments can be made for and against either.
nancy_reagan2.jpg
to Rutgers

Whoa! Jesuits all report to the Superior General (the head of the Jesuits). He, in turn, reports directly to the Pope. And I guess you could say the Pope reports directly to God. ;) So yeah...I can understand that he might have some scheduling conflicts.

Besides, what Jesuit would want to meet with a president of a university that has Calhoun Lucifer on the payroll? UConn already struck a deal with the devil; they extended their deal with Calhoun.

You are correct on the hierarchy ... and I am very familar the Jesuits including being a member of a Jesuit parish.

I'd pretty much guarantee that the Superior General is not giving Fr. Leahy any direction on football acheduling. While politicians and pres stories might pressure a school like UConn or Rutgers to do just about anything, the Jesuit hiearchy is immune to that sort of thing. I doubt the Superior General reads the newspaper and he certainly doesn't watch ESPN.

PS - It was the BC AD who couldn't meet with the UConn AD because of scheduling conflicts.

I'm 0/0 between UConn or Rutgers moving to the ACC. It's in SU football's best interest that neither does.

If ND somehow, some way, finally feels enough pressure to join a conference, and the ACC is their conference of choice, I'd prefer the 15 team, 3 division format that some here have proposed. I don't know how anyone paying attention to the past 7-10 years of SU football could think that giving UConn or Rutgers a spot in a major conference is in any way a good thing for SU.

If ND somehow, some way, finally feels enough pressure to join a conference, and the ACC is their conference of choice, I'd prefer the 15 team, 3 division format that some here have proposed.

How do you handle the ACCGC with three divisions? Have a wild card round?

How do you handle the ACCGC with three divisions? Have a wild card round?

Given the additional money that only has to be split 15 ways, and not 16 (for deadweight that brings nothing to the table but an even #), they wouldn't have to spin their wheels too much on this one. Two best division winners play in the championship. Come up with some kind of tie breaker for the 2nd and 3rd division winner in the event they have the same conference record.

That league would be so thrilled to get ND, they won't get too tied up on the logistics. I just hope they don't get too tied up on the notion that it must be 16. Kind of a pointless #.

let me be clear......

FLUCK storz. ABSOLUTELY FLUCK THEM. LET THEM DIE, LET THEM GO AWAY. FLUCK THEM TO THE HIGHEST LEVEL.

the ACC is already in new england. they are eastern carolina to OUR north carolina, duke, nc state and wake.

stay at 14.

if ND comes, then bring in rutgers and jersey.

just say NO to storz.

to HELL WITH THEM.

was that clear??

Oh Lord

Most won't agree, but if the ACC goes to 16, I hope UConn gets in along with ND joining.

I think out of reasonable #16's, I bet most would agree with you (except UEO). I certainly would. Uconn is an athletic name brand school. Rutgers is not. The addition of Rutgers to any conference would be met with bewilderment by current members. Uconn has a really good athletic program with elite teams (both bball) and much better support within their own state. Academics is a wash.

Screw both UConn and Rutgers in terms of being #16 should ND ever decide to join a conference. I hope the ACC takes a school out of left field and dogs both of them.

Besides, both fanbases talk about how great their prospects are for the future (in the New Big East) as well as the demise of the ACC (due to FSU and Clemson supposedly leaving). Let them continue to think that (and live that).

See ya...wouldnt want to be ya.

I know this is very BEish and you guys might puke all over yourselves for such a suggestion but I would prefer a navy/Georgetown hybrid membership over uconn or rutgers. Navy for football; G-Town for everything else. Navy stays in the patriot league. It would be a good incentive for ND from the Navy scheduling perspective and it would do even more for ACC basketball. I also know you guys also have a huge rivalry with Gtown. Gtown and their fans though would have to agree to never refer to themselves as GT.

I think out of reasonable #16's, I bet most would agree with you (except UEO). I certainly would. Uconn is an athletic name brand school. Rutgers is not. The addition of Rutgers to any conference would be met with bewilderment by current members. Uconn has a really good athletic program with elite teams (both bball) and much better support within their own state. Academics is a wash.
luv ya cuseman, but explain this storz superiority???

theyre in new england. minus 1.
calhoun is basically dead, and hes the program (sorry, but lets face it) minus 2.
in football theyre newbies...not good. minus 3.
chick hoop is great, but who gives a fluck. a zero.

what other sports are they good at??

whats good about them other than their ability to stick their arm up a cows or horses arse and be able to tell if its pregnant??

they add zero to the footprint and athletics. and they bring down academics.

all need to stop pandering to fishy.

Oh Lord

luv ya cuseman, but explain this storz superiority???

theyre in new england. minus 1.
calhoun is basically dead, and hes the program (sorry, but lets face it) minus 2.
in football theyre newbies...not good. minus 3.
chick hoop is great, but who gives a fluck. a zero.

what other sports are they good at??

whats good about them other than their ability to stick their arm up a cows or horses arse and be able to tell if its pregnant??

they add zero to the footprint and athletics. and they bring down academics.

all need to stop pandering to fishy.

Oh Lord

To start, I don't pander to Uconn fans. I can't say I even know a single Uconn fan and certainly have no special allegiance to them because our internet forums sprouted from the same seed. Thats irrelevant to me.

When i think about who I want as #16, to me it simply comes down to what added team makes the conference stronger as a whole. IMO, thats a mismatch. Uconn is a national athletic name brand. Rutgers still has the stink of their decades of futility. Not to mention the rest of their athletic dept is abysmal (last in all BCS schools last year in the Directors Cup, for example).

Admittedly my rationale is simplistic and I'm sure I'll be taken to task for it. But all of this nonsense about Rutgers location and market has all been a bit overblown, hasn't it? Certainly hasn't helped them thus far with all of the movement. After all, they are still stuck on the outside looking in. I think the reason for their exclusion despite their location is name brand. Can you imagine the flak Swofford would get from his constituents if they added a school like Rutgers?

Admittedly, if the addition of Rutgers came on the heels of adding ND, we'd all be too busy celebrating to notice who 16 was. They could probably add Umass and nobody would bat an eye.

And again, just so I'm clear, I despise Uconn and hope that 10 years from now they are already dead on the vine. Rutgers too in a perfect world.

I know this is very BEish and you guys might puke all over yourselves for such a suggestion but I would prefer a navy/Georgetown hybrid membership over uconn or rutgers. Navy for football; G-Town for everything else. Navy stays in the patriot league. It would be a good incentive for ND from the Navy scheduling perspective and it would do even more for ACC basketball. I also know you guys also have a huge rivalry with Gtown. Gtown and their fans though would have to agree to never refer to themselves as GT.

You want a Navy-Georgetown hybrid??

I give you...Villanova. That is, if Father Peter gives up on his crazy musical theater dreams and builds a new stadium in Radnor.

I don't ever want to see Georgetown in any sport, after we leave this conference, and as for Uconn I don't like their mens basketball team, but I respect them. The reason we need Uconn, from a selfish standpoint, is to combat the UNC and DUKE fatuation that everyone has. Between us and Uconn, we can show the rest of the world, what the original Big East was all about, except in a different place.

I don't ever want to see Georgetown in any sport, after we leave this conference, and as for Uconn I don't like their mens basketball team, but I respect them. The reason we need Uconn, from a selfish standpoint, is to combat the UNC and DUKE fatuation that everyone has. Between us and Uconn, we can show the rest of the world, what the original Big East was all about, except in a different place.

I think most current ACC members agree that ACCnorth=oldBE is not an equation that sounds all that appealing. No. 16 needs to be outside the box not simply another BE team or the southern schools, GT included, will probably not buy into it.