The Ultimate Irony | Syracusefan.com

The Ultimate Irony

bt4421

Walk On
When we finally get some scoring on offense (McDonald out – Lester in), the defense has an uncharacteristically poor season thus far. With a typical SS defense, I truly believe it’s very difficult to argue against the fact that we would be sitting at no less than 6-3 right now, including a win over LSU.

HCSS has I believe, demonstrated that a capable defense is standard. This year is to me is an aberration as far as the defense is concerned.

And now, I have confidence that the offense will be even more improved next season.

This my friends is a recipe for success. But we must stay the course. Don’t blow this by getting who knows who in here and pressing the big red reset button all over again!

Every now and then a school might find the coach who can quickly turn things around. Yes, it’s happened. But in my opinion, the odds are better that this will not happen. And even if it does happen, just how long do you think this “miracle” coach will stick around? Please don’t try to convince me that SU can keep him. It’s just not going to happen.

I don’t feel that SS would quickly leave if he became a hot commodity. He might, but I do think there is a much greater chance that he would reward the University for its loyalty to him. I could see him being here for quite a while.

Yes, believe me when I say I feel the same pain that many others are feeling with the losses piling up. I was very upset over the poor clock management, last week’s fake field goal, and the decision to have ED in the game. But…if we were 6-3, we would not be seeing the these get blown out of proportion as they are now, and we would not be seeing pitchforks in the air as we do now.

I think that the SS and TL can and will grow and mature in their positions. It doesn’t happen overnight though.

I certainly could be proven all wrong. None of us know for certain what the future holds in this regard. These are simply my thoughts and I wanted to share them despite all the rhetoric already expressed on the topic.

Simply put, I believe the reasons at this time for him staying outweigh the reasons to let him go.

Order of importance:

1. Recruit character young men. Minimal off the field incidents.

2. Coaches’ character. (equal with 1)

3. Hard-Nosed. 110% effort. (man, I love a good defense!)

4. Wins

Go Orange!

When we finally get some scoring on offense (McDonald out – Lester in), the defense has an uncharacteristically poor season thus far. With a typical SS defense, I truly believe it’s very difficult to argue against the fact that we would be sitting at no less than 6-3 right now, including a win over LSU.
This line of thinking is pretty much what we told ourselves last offseason. We were going to have the defense, we were going to have the offense, we were going to get the wins.

HCSS has I believe, demonstrated that a capable defense is standard. This year is to me is an aberration as far as the defense is concerned.

And now, I have confidence that the offense will be even more improved next season.

This my friends is a recipe for success. But we must stay the course. Don’t blow this by getting who knows who in here and pressing the big red reset button all over again!

Every now and then a school might find the coach who can quickly turn things around. Yes, it’s happened. But in my opinion, the odds are better that this will not happen. And even if it does happen, just how long do you think this “miracle” coach will stick around? Please don’t try to convince me that SU can keep him. It’s just not going to happen.

I don’t feel that SS would quickly leave if he became a hot commodity. He might, but I do think there is a much greater chance that he would reward the University for its loyalty to him. I could see him being here for quite a while.

Yes, believe me when I say I feel the same pain that many others are feeling with the losses piling up. I was very upset over the poor clock management, last week’s fake field goal, and the decision to have ED in the game. But…if we were 6-3, we would not be seeing the these get blown out of proportion as they are now, and we would not be seeing pitchforks in the air as we do now.

I think that the SS and TL can and will grow and mature in their positions. It doesn’t happen overnight though.

I certainly could be proven all wrong. None of us know for certain what the future holds in this regard. These are simply my thoughts and I wanted to share them despite all the rhetoric already expressed on the topic.

Simply put, I believe the reasons at this time for him staying outweigh the reasons to let him go.

Order of importance:

4. Wins

Go Orange!

no

Absolutely! And the game day play of the secondary has been nothing short of atrocious! I know most of them are young underclassmen, but puh-leeze! Can we get a defensive back at least within 5 yards of of receiver once the ball is in the air?:eek:

And like many other more knowledgeable posters have pointed out--things ain't gettin' any better!

Order of importance:

4. Wins

Go Orange!
that's a good post and you may very well be right. BUT, you just can't teach game savvy/smarts and the sample size is large enought now to know he just doesn't have it. And I don't think you can teach this or learn it.

And since the margin of error toward winning vs. losing is so thin up here due the well documented extraordinary challanges faced here (poor northeast football recruiting grounds, Northeast mentality toward football, weather in terms of attracting young ones, current losing streaks with resultant poor attendance, etc); the result of all this you need every possible thing going for you to get over the hump to overcome everything else.

Granting the fourth year is more likely to have a Gerg result vs. a Mac result is what the fear is I fear.

Last edited:
Order of importance:

4. Wins

Go Orange!

Unfortunately for the business side of a P5 school, win$ are a bit more important than #4.

This line of thinking is pretty much what we told ourselves last offseason. We were going to have the defense, we were going to have the offense, we were going to get the wins.
Oh sweet jeebus...when can we judge the coaching?

Maybe if they accepted a commitment from some kids with a little less character like a 5* Chris Clark then wins may follow.

I'm tired of having a team full of choir boys and coaches that loses 8 - 9 games per year.

Not sure how Fred Reed is retained if indeed Shaf gets a 4th year. Our DB play as stated above IS atrocious. We play 10-12 yds off recievers at the snap and STILL get beat deep! We also need taller, more instinctual safeties. The staff shouldn't even look at a safety prospect under 6'1''.

Not sure how Fred Reed is retained if indeed Shaf gets a 4th year. Our DB play as stated above IS atrocious. We play 10-12 yds off recievers at the snap and STILL get beat deep! We also need taller, more instinctual safeties. The staff shouldn't even look at a safety prospect under 6'1''.

Pretty sure that's how Bullough and Shafer want them to line up or we wouldn't be doing it. The scheme and play calling fail right up to the top.

In all fairness I think most understood that the defense would be a challenge this year with eight or nine new starters.

In all fairness I think most understood that the defense would be a challenge this year with eight or nine new starters.

What's crazy is that a LOT of people didn't think D would be a challenge this year. I'm right on this stuff very infrequently, but it seemed blatantly obvious to me that our D was going to be a major issue. Which was why I was passionately advocating that our O had to carry the load this season. That we'd need to score a ton of points to overcome the D.

Sadly, we haven't.

Yes. In fact, Lester is getting so much of a pass from many people simply due to the atrocious defense. The offense is going backwards and he's not proving anything as a play-caller, especially while people claim his side is loaded with talent.

Offense in regulation has scored 22.4 points. In 2013, all their points were on offense in regulation, I think. They scored 22.7.

20% of our scoring is not by our offense in regulation

Offense in regulation has scored 22.4 points. In 2013, all their points were on offense in regulation, I think. They scored 22.7.

McDonald sucks!!!

McDonald sucks Lester is good.

I think at this point we are seeing that McDonald sucked and seemed lost. Lester gave us a bit of fool's gold at the start and seemed to be getting. Now is his laying eggs everywhere and can't seem to make correct adjustments or even game plans.

I think at this point we are seeing that McDonald sucked and seemed lost. Lester gave us a bit of fool's gold at the start and seemed to be getting. Now is his laying eggs everywhere and can't seem to make correct adjustments or even game plans.

Yeah, I also thinks he wants to run the qb a lot, option etc and when you have a qb that keeps getting drilled, it's a tough call. We might see more running with the officer tomorrow. Probably a reason why they brought him in. Maybe with Womack as well.

HUNT probably would have been fine here too as he is a big dude and running the ball was by far his strong suit

What's crazy is that a LOT of people didn't think D would be a challenge this year. I'm right on this stuff very infrequently, but it seemed blatantly obvious to me that our D was going to be a major issue. Which was why I was passionately advocating that our O had to carry the load this season. That we'd need to score a ton of points to overcome the D.

Sadly, we haven't.
Sadly the coaches didn't realize this at all as they have come out game after game with very conservative playcalls and only opening it up after getting behind. The South Florida game comes to mind really quickly here as one where if we had just played the same way in the first half as we did in the second we would have won that game going away. I get they are trying to protect a freshman QB but they're losing themselves games. The one thing a coach can't do is cause the team to lose... obviously it would be nice to have a coach whose decisions win the game for us but the ultimate no no needs to be don't lose the game for us.

Correct in 2013, all the points were from the offense and in regulation.

Yeah, I also thinks he wants to run the qb a lot, option etc and when you have a qb that keeps getting drilled, it's a tough call. We might see more running with the officer tomorrow. Probably a reason why they brought him in. Maybe with Womack as well.

HUNT probably would have been fine here too as he is a big dude and running the ball was by far his strong suit
Yeah I didn't like his comment about the face he felt he needed to runt he open to beat zone coverage. That to me was shocking to hear our OC say something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom