The Upside (Colgate) | Syracusefan.com

The Upside (Colgate)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It is nice to have four guys who can bomb away from outside: Gbinije, Cooney, Richardson and Lydon. The first three have shown NBA range. There may be some game this year that be simply blow somebody away because those guys just can’t miss. Also, there’s nothing, even a dunk, that gets the crowd going more than a three pointer. When we get a run of them the noise just builds and builds. I still remember when hit our first 16 shots of the second half, many of which would now have been three pointers, against Michigan in the 1981 NIT. I don’t think the Dome has ever been louder. Michigan’s players were just looking over their heads in a arc and then at each other, wondering what they were going to do.

- It’s become routine but Michael Gbinije has become one of those players you take for granted because you can just pencil his numbers in. Tonight it was 17 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assist, 1 block and 2 steals.

- Malachi Richardson, on the other hand, doesn’t put the same numbers up in every game, so his numbers stand out: 17 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal. Welcome back, Mal!

- Tyler Lydon had the most productive line of all: 11 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 3 blocks. That’s 23 “positives”. He was 3 for 4 from the field, 3 for 3 from the foul line and in 32 minutes, committed no fouls or turnovers. That’s 22 “net points”, three more than Gbinije.

- There are a limited number of strategies for getting the ball in the basket. We use two of them: bomb away from the outside or put you head down and drive to the basket. The first is going to be erratic by nature and the second, as we saw on Saturday, can lead to charging calls. We need something else. We don’t have a post-up scorer to lob the ball to in the paint. We don’t have a penetrating point guard who can dish the ball for baskets- heck we don’t have anyone who could catch their dishes We don’t have Leo Rautins to fire a pass through the defense to somebody on the baseline. What we do have, in Hopkins and Boeheim want to take advantage of him, is Tyler Lydon. Lydon is 6-9 and can shoot the ball beautifully. He can pass it well. He even had a possession in which he drove to the basket and dished it to a score just like a point guard. Put Lydon in the high post and run the offense through him. He can shoot to score. He can drive to score or dish off. He can pass to the baseline. Or he can pass to the three point guys. I think it would work like a charm.

7-2 with 22+ to go…

LET’S GO ORANGE!

- Put Lydon in the high post and run the offense through him. He can shoot to score. He can drive to score or dish off. He can pass to the baseline. Or he can pass to the three point guys. I think it would work like a charm.

That is the conventional thinking. Seems like we often see Roberson in the high post though. I wonder if the coaches are hoping Roberson develops a reliable high post jump shot and dribble drive penetration so that SU can spread the floor with 4 shooters, give it to TR in the high post for the opposing center to cover. If TR were a clone of CJ Fair that would be ideal. CJ could hit that high post jumper, dribble drive if the center came up to cover or kick it out for the open 3 if help came on the dribble drive. Problem is, not sure we've seen anything remotely close to a CJ impression from Roberson yet.

That is the conventional thinking. Seems like we often see Roberson in the high post though. I wonder if the coaches are hoping Roberson develops a reliable high post jump shot and dribble drive penetration so that SU can spread the floor with 4 shooters, give it to TR in the high post for the opposing center to cover. If TR were a clone of CJ Fair that would be ideal. CJ could hit that high post jumper, dribble drive if the center came up to cover or kick it out for the open 3 if help came on the dribble drive. Problem is, not sure we've seen anything remotely close to a CJ impression from Roberson yet.
Roberson is a JR. I don't think we'll see him turn into CJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom