The Upside - Pittsburgh II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Pittsburgh II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- For 30 minutes this game resembled the first Georgia Tech and Boston College games. I wonder how many ACC teams have won three conference games by 23 or more points.

- I also wonder how many ACC teams have 5 road victories.

- OK, I looked it up. Duke has 6 road victories and 6 wins of 24 points or more. Virginia has 6 road victories. Florida State and Louisville have 5 road victories. That’s it.

- Jim mentioned that Bourama Sidibie should have gone to Pittsburgh. He’s had two great games down there: his freshman year when he had 18 points and 16 rebounds and 3 blocked shots. In this game he had 13 points, 10 rebounds, 5 steals and four blocks. He was key to a defense that totally shut the Panthers down and never let them get into the game or mount a comeback. If he could play consistently like this, our problems would be over.

- Elijah Hughes had one of his best games. The stats were 25 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals. He also contributed mightily to the defensive effort. But the big thing is that when he had the ball in his hands good things happened and bad things didn’t, which was quite a contrast to Girard, Dolezaj, Boeheim and Guerrier.

- With Boeheim out, Brycen Goodine got his best chance of the season. He played without the mask and that may have helped. He had 5 points, 4 assists, a rebound and a block. He also ahd no turnovers or fouls in 18 minutes of play. He even hit a three pointer. Buddy better watch out! (Or not.)

- Howard Washington played only two minutes and his only stat was one assist. But we went from 8-8 eight and half minutes into the game to up 14-11 in those two minutes. We scored 5 more points when Joe came back in to take our first solid lead at 19-11. Jimmy Satalin credited Washington with “calming things down”. That’s why I wanted him to be sent in to do the same thing when we were coming apart late in the game. It could have made those last 10 minutes more palatable.

- Brenden Paul got us tacos, hitting a three pointer with two seconds left, striking a blow for the team’s four walk-ons who work hard to prepare the recruited players to play almost all the playing time during the season.

- It was a game we had to win to a keep any homes of somehow making the NCAA tournament alive. So is the next one and the one after that and… But those game wouldn’t have mattered if we didn’t get this one.
Let's get to 12-8 in the conference and make then tell us that isn't good enough.

- One more and “The Streak” reaches the half century mark.

16-12 (9-8) with 3+ to be done

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
refs were mighty kind. again. for the ACC conspiracy theorists out there " the refs screw us every game" crowd let it be noted that so far this season we are plus 51 for free throws in conference and - 15 in fouls committed . lets just put this nonsense to rest once and for all and stop blaming the officiating after every L.

Last edited:
refs were mighty kind. again. for the ACC conspiracy theorists out there " the refs screw us every game" crowd let it be noted that so far this season we are plus 51 for free throws in conference and - 15 in fouls against. lets just put this nonsense to rest once and for all and stop blaming the officiating after every L.
Yeah, but ...

well if one team is committing fouls and the other is just passing it around and jacking bad shots fouls often get screwed up..

the norm is we are playing passive zone and teams play aggressive m2m and we get in foul trouble. pitt was aggressive pressing out and we attacked.

refs were mighty kind. again. for the ACC conspiracy theorists out there " the refs screw us every game" crowd let it be noted that so far this season we are plus 51 for free throws in conference and - 15 in fouls against. lets just put this nonsense to rest once and for all and stop blaming the officiating after every L.

Referees were kind to us because we played Pittsburgh. Our big players are allowed to give Pitt players elbow without being called foul. If this is Duke, Wake Forest, UNC and NC State, all our biggies would have fouled out in the middle of the second half.

well if one team is committing fouls and the other is just passing it around and jacking bad shots fouls often get screwed up..

the norm is we are playing passive zone and teams play aggressive m2m and we get in foul trouble. pitt was aggressive pressing out and we attacked.
how often do three point shooters get fouled ? cuz that's like half our offense. get real. we don't drive much.

enuf games to know we shoot 3rd most trey attempts in ACC.

refs were mighty kind. again. for the ACC conspiracy theorists out there " the refs screw us every game" crowd let it be noted that so far this season we are plus 51 for free throws in conference and - 15 in fouls committed . lets just put this nonsense to rest once and for all and stop blaming the officiating after every L.

Most of the complaints have been about incompetence, not bias.

how often do three point shooters get fouled ? cuz that's like half our offense. get real. we don't drive much.

Two point shots / Fouls drawn (lower score means you drew fouls more often - in bold, ACC games only)

Virginia I 26/7 = 3.71 vs. 12/6 = 2.00
Georgia Tech 24/20 = 1.20 vs. 30/20 = 1.50
Notre Dame I 33/11 = 3.00 vs. 38/13 = 2.92
Virginia Tech I 36/18 = 2.00 vs. 14/17 = 0.82
Virginia II 31/18 = 1.72 vs. 36/17 = 2.12
Boston Col I 36/14 = 2.57 vs. 31/11 = 2.82
Virginia Tech II 36/14 = 2.57 vs. 22/14 = 1.57
Notre Dame II 40/14 = 2.86 vs. 32/14 = 2.29
Pittsburgh I 34/20 = 1.70 vs. 33/15 = 2.20
Clemson 30/13 = 2.31 vs. 26/12 = 1.625
Duke 44/29 = 1.52 vs. 37/25 = 1.48
Wake Forest 35/23 = 1.52 vs. 34/20 = 1.20
NC State 46/19 = 2.42 vs. 27/19 = 1.42
Florida State 38/22 = 1.73 vs. 40/20 = 2.00
Louisville 34/16 = 2.125 vs. 40/19 = 2.11
Georgia Tech 37/26 = 1.42 vs. 37/20 = 1.85
Pittsburgh II 34/17 = 2.00 vs. 29/13 = 2.23

I would agree that these numbers don't reveal any consistent bias.

solution ? robots ? i'm saying you flip last nights calls and this board would have crashed. there's no anti-syracuse bias in the ACC. as the numbers objectively show. we're in the plus column penalty wise.

Last edited:
- For 30 minutes this game resembled the first Georgia Tech and Boston College games. I wonder how many ACC teams have won three conference games by 23 or more points.
The last time Syracuse won three conference games by 23 or more points was in 2012 (Seton Hall, Providence, and SJU). This season Duke has six conference wins by greater than 23 points. Louisville has 1 (Ugh). UVA has 1 (VaTech).

And SU had five road conference wins last season.

Tbone doesn't have cable so he wouldn't know that officiating is terrible everywhere and not just Syracuse games. And it's not the number of fouls called. It's consistency.

nd it's not the number of fouls called. It's consistency.
granted. inconsistent . now how do you fix that ? your solution ? it's tough job nobody wants. so meanwhile we can all agree we've benefitted this season from the inconsistent calls. no ACC conspiracy. be happy.

solution ? robots ? i'm saying you flip last nights calls and this board would have crashed. there's no anti-syracuse bias in the ACC. as the numbers objectively show. we're in the plus column penalty wise.

Part one of any solution is to point out the problem.

you'd have to point out issues objectively and not subjectively. no fan views the game that way. built in bias.
are you willing to say here right now that the refs boned pitt last night ? and cost them a victory ? no. but any PITT fan could and would have numbers to back that claim. i believe the fouls were 2-9 when pitt got the bench tech. so you tell me how to call a perfect game . again robots ?

Last edited:
I mean we had our three guys down low with 4 fouls, 3 fouls and 3 fouls so it’s not like they got no whistles lmao

you'd have to point out issues objectively and not subjectively. no fan views the game that way. built in bias.
are you willing to say here right now that the refs boned pitt last night ? and cost them a victory ? no. but any PITT fan could and would have numbers to back that claim. i believe the fouls were 2-9 when pitt got the bench tech. so you tell me how to call a perfect game . again robots ?

I don't think anybody got boned last night. But when a couple seconds goes off in a Georgia Tech possession, the refs notice that the shot clock hasn't started and decide to put it to 17 seconds and the Jackets wind up with a shot clock violation. I'm not impressed. When a ref standing on the end line sees Marek Dolezaj on the ground in front of him and calls him out of bounds, then T's him up for pointing to the video board, I'm also not impressed. Those are just the most egregious of many questionable calls and no calls that I've seen impacted either team this season.

I don't think anybody got boned last night. But when a couple seconds goes off in a Georgia Tech possession, the refs notice that the shot clock hasn't started and decide to put it to 17 seconds and the Jackets wind up with a shot clock violation. I'm not impressed. When a ref standing on the end line sees Marek Dolezaj on the ground in front of him and calls him out of bounds, then T's him up for pointing to the video board, I'm also not impressed. Those are just the most egregious of many questionable calls and no calls that I've seen impacted either team this season.

The GA Tech clock stoppage wasn't as far off as you think it was. It's the second time you have mentioned that so I timed it with my phone. The clock stopped almost one second before Syracuse scored From the time the clock stopped until the ref blew his whistle, it was 14.9 seconds so taking 13 seconds off the shot clock was about right.

The GA Tech clock stoppage wasn't as far off as you think it was. It's the second time you have mentioned that so I timed it with my phone. The clock stopped almost one second before Syracuse scored From the time the clock stopped until the ref blew his whistle, it was 14.9 seconds so taking 13 seconds off the shot clock was about right.

I was influenced by Matt Park and Jim Satalin, (I listen to the radio even when I'm at the game). Both were shocked that it was only 17 seconds to the point of laughing about it. Also the people around me in the section agreed that it was absurd. . That doesn't mean you are wrong, just that many besides me had the impression it was screwed up.

Except it was still a badly officiated game. Pitt was the victim this time. Some of the fouls they called were the ridiculous ones SU usually gets. It almost seemed like pay back for all the muggings SU use to get by Pitt. Now thats a conspiracy.

Except it was still a badly officiated game. Pitt was the victim this time. Some of the fouls they called were the ridiculous ones SU usually gets. It almost seemed like pay back for all the muggings SU use to get by Pitt. Now thats a conspiracy.
Although I believe Pitt was disadvantaged by the officiating, a lot of the calls were because their guards always, ALWAYS, grabbed the arm of the player they were guarding when that player made a move. Maybe they're used to getting away with that but unlike every other time we played Pitt in the last 20 years, the refs actually called it. The reason they had so many fouls was they refused to believe this ref squad thought that was a foul. The players always have to adjust to the officiating. Along with all the other things they sucked at last night, adjusting was the most important thing they sucked at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom