The view from Greensboro... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The view from Greensboro...

I love Cuse and was a student there but our cheers are awful. Only lets Go Orange. Somehow the students/cheerleaders need to make a cheer that is simple and all the other townie fans and alumni can easily pick up.

Agree. I've always thought a call and answer of "Orange" and "Men" could be effective, much in the same vein as UNC's "Tar" and "Heels."

Certainly beats "We Are" and "SU."

Agree. I've always thought a call and answer of "Orange" and "Men" could be effective, much in the same vein as UNC's "Tar" and "Heels."

I agree, but then we'd be going against the University Establishment(tm) and taking the name back from them.

Why did I give that pompous moron a "click?"

I always thought we could do simple "S" and then "U"

I can’t tell if this article was written when our ACC invitation acceptance was announced or when the ACC decided to put the 2018 tourney in Brooklyn.

The smug self-righteous tone perfectly reflects the biggest reason many fans of northern ACC teams so strongly dislike having been forced to join this conference.

After all, the rest of the world considers all Americans yankees whether they like it or not.

Its been in the 40's down south all week. Unless he wants to play it in Miami, it's probably going to be chilly in the beginning of March.

Indeed it has. Last night it got down into the mid/upper 20's. My pool's freeze protection program ran all night, until about 9 a.m., when the temp finally hit 34.

Next year the ACC tourney is here in Charlotte. I hope the weather is at least normal, which is about 60-61 degrees during the day and 40-ish at night. Just a couple of weeks ago we had 8 straight days with temps in the mid to upper 70's to low 80's. Everything has been blooming, and I've already had to cut by lawn twice, where typically (24 + years here) I don't need to cut until NCAA Regionals week. Hopefully, next year during the tourney we at least see seasonal, but that's still a bit on the cool side, albeit not bad.

When the camera panned to the crowd before our game started, I was shocked at all the powder blue in the stands. We showed up well for the opener against Wake but that was a pathetic showing against UNC.

I've always thought our fans were louder and rowdier down south. With so many alumni in ATL/CLT and so many transplants in Raleigh/South Carolina, if we actually become a decent team again, I could see Cuse fans taking over Greensboro. I know i'll be there and that whiny author will really wish we weren't in this league when there's equal parts Orange as there is powder blue/duke blue wandering around that no-name city he's so fond of.

that's because many of our alums / fans live in the tri-state area, and weren't able to get to the game due to the storm and public transportation being shut down.

The UNC fans were already there, in hotels. It was easier for them to show up since they were already in close proximity to the arena.

I can’t tell if this article was written when our ACC invitation acceptance was announced or when the ACC decided to put the 2018 tourney in Brooklyn.

The smug self-righteous tone perfectly reflects the biggest reason many fans of northern ACC teams so strongly dislike having been forced to join this conference.

After all, the rest of the world considers all Americans yankees whether they like it or not.
That's just the triangle my friend. Clemson is a founding member and we hate how self-righteous and smug they are.

Does anyone really care what this hillbilly has to say?
He happens to be right about a lot of things, by the way.
We don't fit in the ACC...but it was the second best league behind the old BE ...so it's the best place to be now.

A couple of things he said were absurd.

Physical basketball in the ACC????!!!???
It's the home of ticky-tack fouls...they would have thrown the old Pitt teams right out of the conference.

And the East River is for crossing...not fishing. He can fish back in Siler City.

Personally I love “let’s go Orange”, and I think it’s all we need. Why do we need more than one?

Also, it’s hard to force things - they need to just happen. Like “hey! You suck!” when they played the “hey” song. That one was going strong for a few years until they banned the song at the Dome.

I’m more annoyed that the “who cares?! So what?!” stuff from pregame intro’s is gone, and that nobody does the “you! You! You!” chant and point when an opponent gets a foul anymore.

Personally I love “let’s go Orange”, and I think it’s all we need. Why do we need more than one?

Also, it’s hard to force things - they need to just happen. Like “hey! You suck!” when they played the “hey” song. That one was going strong for a few years until they banned the song at the Dome.

I’m more annoyed that the “who cares?! So what?!” stuff from pregame intro’s is gone, and that nobody does the “you! You! You!” chant and point when an opponent gets a foul anymore.

Actually, and I will deny ever having posted this if you try to attribute it to me (after all, it is the internet so the posts disappear into the ether, right?), but the best chant ever was was the 'Cuse addition to the Hey chant...

I truly believe that there are Texas fans that, to this day, are still scarred...( so it really wasn't the chant at all. The chant was actually quite vulgar and obnoxious and the fact they banned it was a good thing but the to see the visceral impact that it had on those obnoxious, arrogant Longhorns fans was priceless. Combine that with the fact that we, in fact, did kick the **** out of them and it was double-priceless)

Actually, and I will deny ever having posted this if you try to attribute it to me (after all, it is the internet so the posts disappear into the ether, right?), but the best chant ever was was the 'Cuse addition to the Hey chant...

I truly believe that there are Texas fans that, to this day, are still scarred...( so it really wasn't the chant at all. The chant was actually quite vulgar and obnoxious and the fact they banned it was a good thing but the to see the visceral impact that it had on those obnoxious, arrogant Longhorns fans was priceless. Combine that with the fact that we, in fact, did kick the **** out of them and it was double-priceless)

Watching our whole sections turn to them and deliver it was hysterical, gotta admit.

Watching our whole sections turn to them and deliver it was hysterical, gotta admit.

Yes. Yes, it was.

We were sitting next to a table full of burnt orange the next morning and I'm not sure if they were more horrified at the chant or at the fact we actually beat them.

That and chanting "Big 12 champs" at the Kansas bus when it pulled up to their hotel...LOLOLOLOL...ah the good ole days...

Greensboro is an absolute dump. The idea that any power 5 conference would hold their tournament there is ridiculous. When it comes back to NC it should be in Charlotte and not Greensboro.
Greensboro is just a microcosm of what’s happening here in Charlotte & throughout the Southeast.
As Northerners flee the taxes and high cost of living, we’re landing in these good ole boy cities, filled w/ networks of locals who still yearn for the “good ole days” when YANKEES stayed away, and they could sleepily wile away the years w/out having to adapt to reality.
Greensboro IS a dump. It’d be like if Utica held the OBE Tournament because...tradition.
Luckily Dave Gavitt was smart enough to realize that MSG, and not Providence RI, was where the OBE Tourney belonged. If he’d thought like the ACC traditionalists do, we might’ve ended up playing in RI, because well, thats where BE HQ was.
I’ve been in my adopted city of charlotte 8 years now- absolutely LOVE the place. But this mentality from the denizens of Greensboro and the like, is not uncommon. They’re clueless about what they have, and haven’t quite gotten that things have changed...forever.
The ACC has outgrown, literally and figuratively, a city like Greensboro. Like it or not, they’ll have to learn to deal with it.

Certainly one of the best parts of the Manley years.